Deaf Wanna Be

BabyPhat21

Reaction score
I did a thread about passing for hearing but I think we should talk about the opposite, I have talked to some people hearing (with no deaf in the family) and CODAs, I heard some of them say that they want to be Deaf, I was like.... why....and I don't like that.. I think of the car joke when the hearing person tried to pretend to be Deaf to get out of the car ticket. It is like any culture, you can respect it and everything but you cant be a part of it unless you are biologically in that culture whether you are Deaf or a specific nationality.
I was wondering what do you think about hearing people trying to pass for Deaf.

That makes us feel proud to be deaf. :lol: Other than that, I don't like it when hearings use Deaf as a Low-Self-Esteem excuse/purpose. :squint: For a perfect example: handing out fingerspelling card for 1 dollar each. Hate that! We aren't that stupid!

Yea, one of my ex's sister made herself appear as a deaf to take advantage of our deaf friends. She wanted to fit in with her deaf sister society. I didn't like that attitude from her though.

I heard some of them say that they want to be Deaf, I was like.... why....and I don't like that.. I think of the car joke when the hearing person tried to pretend to be Deaf to get out of the car ticket. It is like any culture, you can respect it and everything but you cant be a part of it unless you are biologically in that culture whether you are Deaf or a specific nationality.
I was wondering what do you think about hearing people trying to pass for Deaf.
BabyPhat, I think that's cool that they want to be Deaf.
They don't view deafness as "hearing impaired" or different but rather more as a state that is equal to hearing!
I've had SO many hearing people tell me that they wish they had hearing aids so they could turn sounds off like I do. I'll never forget walking into my dorm when there was a punk rock concert going on...everyone was like "Oh man...you're so lucky!"
Actually, a person can be Deaf without being biologically deaf.
There are HOH people(some who have hearing good enough to talk on the phone without a hearing aid) who ID as Deaf, there are CIers who ID as Deaf, there are even hearing people(non-CODAs) who are Deaf.....there are people with things like apraxia, tracheostomys, etc who use ASL/Sign as a primary language.

I think hearing people can't pass up to pretend they are deaf cuz they obviously can hear :roll: if they try to impress a deafie guy or girl then they should be just be true to themselves than bein fake to people :|

Originally posted by funnybebe78
I think hearing people can't pass up to pretend they are deaf cuz they obviously can hear :roll: if they try to impress a deafie guy or girl then they should be just be true to themselves than bein fake to people :|

:werd: TOTALLY right there on that notch with u purrise

well deafies and hearings are human beings but most of the time the hearings thinks that deafies are deaf and mute that isn't true. since deafies and hearings can do anything that are same but DEAF uses their EYES as a EARS and hearings use their EARS to hear things. So, I can notice that most of deafies in the family are left out of their hearing families. That's why we all feel that all deafies are my family which are my closest and good friends who are deaf as I am. No matter what the hearings think because Hearings can be dumb too sometimes if they don't understand what DEAF means. U know.. :)

A hearing person experiencing Deaf culture is just same as an American experiencing the French culture. Of course, you might have an American with an attempt to impress a french lady with bad french accent.

Originally posted by SilenceGold
A hearing person experiencing Deaf culture is just same as an American experiencing the French culture. Of course, you might have an American with an attempt to impress a french lady with bad french accent.

:werd:

my advice to hearing ppl to become deaf wanna be... get a gun and blast your ear and become deaf... :lol: :rofl:

Originally posted by pimpdaddyposse
my advice to hearing ppl to become deaf wanna be... get a gun and blast your ear and become deaf... :lol: :rofl:

Nah...just get a long yarning needle...stick it up your ear....pop something in there. :p

:do not try this at home:

Nah...just get a long yarning needle...stick it up your ear....pop something in there. :p

:shock:

*shivers up and down my spine*

ahem. anyway, back to the topic...
these deaf wannabes are sandbagging losers who just don't want to take any responsibility for their actions which consequently give a bad rep to other responsible deaf people. they are unfair and opportunistic SOBs. do you see where i'm going with this?

Last edited:

*eyes widened at SilenceGold's post and Sputnik's avatar!* :laugh2:

ive had quite a few hearies who has expressed their wishing they were Deaf in situations where theres a thunderstorm overnite and theyre unable to sleep, cicadas making SO MUCH noise and etc etc

i just laff it off and tell them if they wanted to become Deaf they can by blasting their ears with something that would cause permanent deafness ie: standing right below a plane taking off or something to that level of sound or do what SG had suggested -- sticking something in the ears and destroy the eardrums or something :laugh2: :laugh2: :-x i know im mean LOL

Originally posted by ChelEler
That makes us feel proud to be deaf. :lol: Other than that, I don't like it when hearings use Deaf as a Low-Self-Esteem excuse/purpose. :squint: For a perfect example: handing out fingerspelling card for 1 dollar each. Hate that! We aren't that stupid!

Same here! I absolutely admonish those people who hand out those ABC cards and beg for at least $1 or more to 'support' the deaf, etc. Loan of bullshit.
It really shits me seeing those people doing that, it's degrading our deaf community and making it look like we all are like that, which we AREN'T!

Goldie

Originally posted by Fly Free
ive had quite a few hearies who has expressed their wishing they were Deaf in situations where theres a thunderstorm overnite and theyre unable to sleep, cicadas making SO MUCH noise and etc etc

i just laff it off and tell them if they wanted to become Deaf they can by blasting their ears with something that would cause permanent deafness ie: standing right below a plane taking off or something to that level of sound or do what SG had suggested -- sticking something in the ears and destroy the eardrums or something :laugh2: :laugh2: :-x i know im mean LOL

Heheheh...I was told by my co-workers at work not too long ago about how lucky I was to be deaf. I asked why...they said cos I didn't have to put up with the constant yelling/screaming one of the clients does on a daily basis...ALL day long, non stop. I'm serious..she doesn't stop at all! I'm frankly surprised she hasn't lost her voice at all!

Goldie

i agree with all of u. even though i am hearing. i am learning sign language and trying to learn more about the deaf community. i was hopein gthat some of you would enlighten me on some of your everyday life. i am sorry if i offend any of you in asking.

Originally posted by ASLnikki
i agree with all of u. even though i am hearing. i am learning sign language and trying to learn more about the deaf community. i was hopein gthat some of you would enlighten me on some of your everyday life. i am sorry if i offend any of you in asking.

It's not offending us if you want to be part of the culture. What offends us is when hearing people try to pretend like a deaf person instead of a hearing person that knows their way around deaf people.

Back