Deaf waitress

How did they do? Especially dealing with hearing customers? I'm just curious.

He seems like a popular bartender at his bar. He's stone deaf and the bars are pretty loud in general, it mainly takes a lot of lip reading. Not a problem for him!

He seems like a popular bartender at his bar. He's stone deaf and the bars are pretty loud in general, it mainly takes a lot of lip reading. Not a problem for him!

i can only imagine how bad it would be when someone is past the point of return and is slurring words.

i can only imagine how bad it would be when someone is past the point of return and is slurring words.

Don't believe bartenders are allowed to serve anyone who is obviously "sloshed" and "drunk as a skunk"!....Plus, I believe a good bartender keeps tabs on their customers as to how many drinks they have had.....Some people just don't know when to "quit", and the bartender is the one who makes that decision to serve him or not, as long at they are sitting at the bar....Now for an open-setting, usually the owners keep bouncers there and it's their job to keep an eye on the customers and even taking their drinks away if they become loud and combative.....

I think it's an interesting line of work for a deafie who is fluent in lipreading...the loud music doesn't bother them as it does for the hearies.

Yeah just let them know u have a hearing loss. I got written up one time because i didn't hear the person.

I think your manager is awesome for not being a jerk and yes, I think his idea is a good one -- but only if you are comfortable.

The clerk at target signals he's deaf to customers if he needs to...the attendant at the theatre last night didn't, but I picked up on it.

As a hearing customer, I tend to call out to people to get their attention. That being said, if someone who I thought was hearing just walked away from me while I was asking them something, I'd probably feel a little insulted too. I think some form of warning, be it written or verbal, would help customers realize that you're not ignoring them at all, especially since you're in a profession where customers often will try to get your attention.

That being said, kudos to your manager for trying to find a way to avoid this type of situation in the future, without punishing you.

When I was health aide I had client that was bed bound and she got upset with because I did answer her right away. I did not say anything to her. But the next day when I was taking care of my client she saw my HA and said "is that why you didn't answer me yesterday , you're HOH? I told her "yes" and my client was very understanding and no longer upset with me. I did not go around telling all my clients I was HOH ,and one reason was that I did not want my clients yelling at me! I would be careful about putting you're HOH on your card. Some people are clueless about how to speak a person that HOH or deaf!

Back