Deaf vs Hearing communication

asl_student1

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Taylor and I am hearing. Learning deaf culture is one of my passions. Learning hearing culture from the deaf culture's perspective also spikes my interest. I am new to this website and as I am browsing the threads, I am noticing a lot of deaf vs hearing arguments. Peace and equality are most valuable virtues, as well as respect. Understanding the differences of the deaf or hoh and the hearing with moral and ethical principles is extremely important.

Last edited:
Hello, my name is Taylor and I am hearing. Learning deaf culture is one of my passions. Learning hearing culture from the deaf culture's perspective also spikes my interest. I am new to this website and as I am browsing the threads, I am noticing a lot of deaf vs hearing arguments. Peace and equality are most valuable virtues, as well as respect. Understanding the differences of the deaf or hoh and the hearing with moral and ethical principles is extremely important.

The hearing people here on alldeaf are taking the time and effort to understand and learn about deaf culture and this beautiful language in order to reach out to the deaf community and break the barrier between communication. Society says the deaf's communication is limited. Well to hell with that! If that were the case, the hearing's communication is limited as well. Lets be fair. This barrier between communication has been causing problems such as miscommunication, lack of patience, and frustration. Not only is it frustrating for the deaf but it is also frustrating to the hearing. We the hearing want to be able to communicate and have relationships with those of the deaf community. As well as the hearing wanting to learn sign language, those of the deaf community take the time to communicate with the hearing through writing, typing, lip reading, and etc.

The desire to communicate with one another is a beautiful thing. But the ignorance between the two parties must be acknowledged as well. Yes there are ignorant hearing people. Yes there are ignorant deaf people.

*Ok angry comments enter now.*

If I offend anyone at all (hearing or not) please know that it is not intentional.

Lets talk about patience and understanding. Understanding each other is knowledgeable. The desire to conversate is the first step. You must want and be willing to communicate with the boundaries. You must be willing to teach and learn to break some of those boundaries. Understand that both parties are making the effort to communicate with one another and that it takes patience and time. Put yourselves in each others shoes. Diagnose the difficulties that are occurring and resolve it! There is no need for the frustration. I am aware frustration accompanies miscommunication, but over time, you will overcome this.

I am not here to debate or argue. But it upsets me to see that the hearing is bashing the deaf and hoh AND VISE VERSA. I just want peace.

What's my story?

When I was 17 years old, I applied for a caregiving position through the Easter Seals agency. I WAS NOT AWARE THAT THIS JOB WOULD CHANGE MY LIFE. It was an extremely rare case considering Easter Seals mainly maintains facilities with dozens of residents. However this case, was at the home of one single client. Therefore is was neither a group home. It was a one on one position. I waited a year to work for the agency. The legal age to work for them was 18. I was first introduced to my client (whom her name will remain confidential) who was BLIND AND DEAF. She was born deaf. Her and her mother learned American Sign Language up until she was 13 years old, when she became blind. This of course had an impact on their communication and transformed their sign into non-visual signs. It was considered a "feel sign language." When I began working with her, she didn't have any family. Her mother was deceased. And the caregivers became her family. I spent approximately 90 hours learning the language. I worked with her for many many hours, days, nights, and doubles. Our friendship blossomed. We bonded well. I spent two years studying her behavior. I learned so much from her. She knew people by their smell and the feel of their faces. She was an amazing woman. When we went out in public, the ignorant people of society laughed, stared, gossiped, and more. They called her blind, deaf, and, dumb. They compared her to Helen Keller. But she was not Helen Keller, she was her own special person. This angered me. This did not affect her at all. She was not seeing nor hearing. She was happy.

Unfortunately, she became very ill for months and it saddened me. I volunteered and spent extra time with her at the hospital interpreting for the nurses. (I am not fluent in American Sign Language. This was a nonvisual sign language.) But Sadly, she passed last September. My heart was crushed. Last month would've been her 41st birthday. I miss her. She was my friend and she had such an impact on my life.

One of my favorite quotes that hung on her refrigerator in her home;

"The best and most beautiful things in the world, cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."

Too big font! You probably don't see how patronizing this post is, but you will learn.

And as one of several deaf/blind you will find here, I have to tell you this font interferes with the zoom text I use to be able to participate here, and makes it very difficult for me to read.

Also intervenors for the deaf blind use ASL in tactile sign. Unless the blind client has some useful sight and uses visual signs in a way that they are able.

communication

The hearing people here on alldeaf are taking the time and effort to understand and learn about deaf culture and this beautiful language in order to reach out to the deaf community and break the barrier between communication. Society says the deaf's communication is limited. Well to hell with that! If that were the case, the hearing's communication is limited as well. Lets be fair. This barrier between communication has been causing problems such as miscommunication, lack of patience, and frustration. Not only is it frustrating for the deaf but it is also frustrating to the hearing. We the hearing want to be able to communicate and have relationships with those of the deaf community. As well as the hearing wanting to learn sign language, those of the deaf community take the time to communicate with the hearing through writing, typing, lip reading, and etc.

The desire to communicate with one another is a beautiful thing. But the ignorance between the two parties must be acknowledged as well. Yes there are ignorant hearing people. Yes there are ignorant deaf people.

*Ok enter angry comments now.*

If I offend anyone at all (hearing or not) please know that it is not intentional.

Lets talk about patience and understanding. Understanding each other is knowledgeable. The desire to conversate is the first step. You must want and be willing to communicate with the boundaries. You must be willing to teach and learn to break some of those boundaries. Understand that both parties are making the effort to communicate with one another and that it takes patience and time. Put yourselves in each others shoes. Diagnose the difficulties that are occurring and resolve it! There is no need for the frustration. I am aware frustration accompanies miscommunication, but over time, you will overcome this.

I am not here to debate or argue. But it upsets me to see that the hearing is bashing the deaf and hoh AND VISE VERSA. I just want peace.

What's my story?

When I was 17 years old, I applied for a caregiving position through the Easter Seals agency. I WAS NOT AWARE THAT THIS JOB WOULD CHANGE MY LIFE. It was an extremely rare case considering Easter Seals mainly maintains facilities with dozens of residents. However this case, was at the home of one single client. Therefore is was neither a group home. It was a one on one position. I waited a year to work for the agency. The legal age to work for them was 18. I was first introduced to my client (whom her name will remain confidential) who was BLIND AND DEAF. She was born deaf. Her and her mother learned American Sign Language up until she was 13 years old, when she became blind. This of course had an impact on their communication and transformed their sign into non-visual signs. It was considered a "feel sign language." When I began working with her, she didn't have any family. Her mother was deceased. And the caregivers became her family. I spent approximately 90 hours learning the language. I worked with her for many many hours, days, nights, and doubles. Our friendship blossomed. We bonded well. I spent two years studying her behavior. I learned so much from her. She knew people by their smell and the feel of their faces. She was an amazing woman. When we went out in public, the ignorant people of society laughed, stared, gossiped, and more. They called her blind, deaf, and, dumb. They compared her to Helen Keller. But she was not Helen Keller, she was her own special person. This angered me. This did not affect her at all. She was not seeing nor hearing. She was happy.

Unfortunately, she became very ill for months and it saddened me. I volunteered and spent extra time with her at the hospital interpreting for the nurses. (I am not fluent in American Sign Language. This was a nonvisual sign language.) But Sadly, she passed last September. My heart was crushed. Last month would've been her 41st birthday. I miss her. She was my friend and she had such an impact on my life.

One of my favorite quotes that hung on her refrigerator in her home;

"The best and most beautiful things in the world, cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."

ok part of understanding oppressions is to look at your own privilege.
So, look at your privilege as hearing

and look at your other privileges, especially if you're white, straight and in U.S.
It's all connected and it's part of the history and til you really get that, peace and harmony have nothing to do with it.
and you will continue to come off as patronizing....

that was patronizing...I think you not understanding deaf people are direct that don't mean we arguing

Hearing people look down on us. We were discriminated not able to get jobs and have many problems with hearing people who don't understand about deafness and our perspectives. We need ASL interpreters to get help to understand what hearing people said. There may be very few hearing people who are deaf friendly and there may be some deaf friendly places that we can go with ease. You don't know what we have been through.

I am Native American and had more discrimination along with my deafness. You have privilege over diversity and disabilities like the others. If they don't understand and refuse to get along with us, then there is no peace among us. You can not make people get along with that. It has to be up to the hearing person to make the move if they are interest in us. Also, most hearing people would rather have us get "fix" with CI and use lipreading instead of ASL which mean they wanted us to change for hearing people so there is misunderstanding about having to be friends with us. That is no friendship.

You have lots to learn about our perspectives and our Deaf Culture. It is the hearing people that need to change their privilege and superiority. Don't ever force us to be like the hearing people.

Thank you very much for your response Bebonang. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions. I am sorry you have to deal with so much discrimination and have to deal with all of that. Society sucks!

Back