Deaf Town, South Dakota

kristy2078

Reaction score
It's been quite a while since there were news about a Deaf town going to be built somewhere in South Dakota. I was wondering if that town is still developing or what.

PS. I think the town was gonna be named Clerc or something like that.

It's been quite a while since there were news about a Deaf town going to be built somewhere in South Dakota. I was wondering if that town is still developing or what.

PS. I think the town was gonna be named Clerc or something like that.

The town was going to be Laurent. It fell thru. Marvin Miller did post his reasons somewhere on this AD.

I heard about this....
was hoping to hear good news because I had planned to move there. :(

Yes, I had a nice chat with Marvin, and I am strongly considering moving there when it comes to fruition.

He is working on the project in Indiana. Right now he needs the financing.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Why not build a few deaf subdivisons in few major metro areas?

Because the hearings would still run things (politics). It is better if it is just deaf town and that way the deaf people can run things.

Okay hope some people can start cities/towns in the west US. Not just in the east. I would not mind living there.

Deaf Town...if this is for real business as successful...I wouldn't think about moving there or you will be suffered living without privacy, listening to the gossips and backstabbing in deaf neighbors and dramas. Forget it!! LOL

katz4life said:
Deaf Town...if this is for real business as successful...I wouldn't think about moving there or you will be suffered living without privacy, listening to the gossips and backstabbing in deaf neighbors and dramas. Forget it!! LOL

Its no different from living in a small town with all hearing people. Same result. If its a deaf big city that is a different story there.

This would be easier, because to have a town, it needs to have businesses run by deaf people. Plus, with the original plan being in SD, can one really expect deaf people to just yank their roots from their cities and move to a new town with very few services in the middle of nowhere?

Because the hearings would still run things (politics). It is better if it is just deaf town and that way the deaf people can run things.

It is possible to have an association-based subdivision with its own rules and policies (there's one near my house). It's sort of like a home owner's association but for the entire sub-division. While it won't have a mayor of its own, it can have a deaf leader or board members to run things.

My concern is whether there would be enough deaf entrepreneurs so there would be businesses in the town and also plenty of employment opportunities for the deaf locals. To have a functional town, you would need a medical clinic, some centers of entertainment, food and clothing stores, an emergency center, town maintainence, teen/family recreation, a mini-DMV, bank/credit union, a senior citizen facility, real estate agency, public transportation, etc. To be able to support many of these services, there needs to be enough businesses providing employment so that the locals can afford to pay taxes to support these services.

What about college/university? It would be nice to have Laurent be located close to someplace like Gally, RIT, that Texas university, etc.

A good functional town with all those businesses and services would be a population of more than 25,000 people. It will be impossible for 25,000 deaf people to move there and give up their hometowns or favorite towns they came from.

Its no different from living in a small town with all hearing people. Same result. If its a deaf big city that is a different story there.

In same way, if deafies are the majority in population, I'd probably be ok with living in deaf towns.

you naysayers, please watch this show FULLY, then come back and discuss your thoughts.

[yt]WAmnGqjSB4M[/yt]

Anyone ever thought of setting up a deaf community near a major airport? Hearies would find the sound of airplanes taking off and landing quite objectionable. I live in town right next to a heavily traveled railroad with a major street intersection, and it doesn't bother me. Plugs at night dampen the last objection.

you naysayers, please watch this show FULLY, then come back and discuss your thoughts.

[yt]WAmnGqjSB4M[/yt]

Reading is faster than watching someone sign. I would rather read than watching a vlog in sign language. Not wasting my 18 minutes on that one.

Not my loss. :) I'm not worried about it. Deaf town subject isn't really a big deal to me.

Again, it's your loss. You don't know what you're missing without watching the video.

After watching the video I honestly think your perspective would change.

Back