Deaf techs/geeks what challenges do you face?

MTIV

Reaction score
Greetings people,

I am doing research on a article that I am working on publishing soon. In writing my article I thought about AllDeaf as a perfect source to tap into some issues I want to cover in my paper.

Here is the question:
As a Deaf or Hard of Hearing Programmer, Web Developer, Graphic Artist or Tech… What challenges do you face in running your own business, working for a company, or seeking employment?

Challenges should be related to your industry in which you work. Do you face issues like discrimination, judgment, or anything of the kind.

We all work or participate in a challenging industry – as for myself, a Deaf Geek. I am constantly faced with challenges in fighting for my right to establish myself as a professional in the Hearing Tech World.

I look forward to everyone’s professional feedback. Once the article is published online I will return here and publish the link for you all to read.

Good day!

Last edited:
I don't consider myself as a deaf geek or deaf techie but I've had a handful of experience working in the dotcom and IT sector especially in the silicion valley. One of the challenges I believe most of the deaf/hoh techies out there is still the communication barrier. Programmers work in team of 3 to 12 depends on the size of the project, email is a great way for the deaf programmer to communicate with his/her colleagues, but when it comes to the weekly meeting to duscuss project process, interpreters just doesn't work. There lack qualified interpreters understand the programming concept, heck, some of them never heard of PHP!

Another thing I see is that senseless egoism amoung those deaf programmers. They think that their knowledge and from high school and community college programming courses are sufficent for demand of the industry. well guess what, it is not the same. I bet there are only one or two so called "developers, programmers" on this forum know how to code up a server side java program.
just my 2 cents

I honestly dunno about this.. its a mixed blessing being deaf in the computer industry.
I consider myself a newbie towards computers, even though most people consider me a guru. With computers, there is ALWAYs something new to learn, even if you are knowledgeable already. Theres plenty of new thing popping up everyday.

Thus, the sole judgement on computer professionals is most often their skill. Period. Any company that favors other factors over pure skill is probably not a place you would want to work at anyway. :P
If you are skilled already, companies and people will look first at that skill, and ignore any disablities.

Negative is that there are lots of ways that you still need to interact with others, and companies are wising up to the fact that a complete antisocial geek is actually counter-productive in larger projects. Thus, some companies might just reject deafies out of a precieved view that we can't be team players. (lots of dumb companies out there).

Of course, anything is a blessing if you spin it right. I've talked to companies that have made audio visualizations, webcams, etc and they have bluntly stated that my perspectives as a deaf person were extremely helpful towards improving their products. Its a matter of providing a different perspective. :D

Agree with Bree that they tend to
assume that deaf geeks cannot be a
good team player, but i was very
lucky reporting to my boss who knew
that I was doing a lot of work on a PC
without much socializing/without chatting incessantly
without wasting company's time etc....
That's a real teamwork for not
wasting company's time but
that was easily overlooked by
our co-workers. It was an enriching
experience working for a small
Research and Development firm
I actually love being part of their
Internet Infrastructure for many years.
Unfortunately, I got laid off and many
of these IT projects were outsourcing
to the overseas (such as India, etc)
I'm still un-employed though... I might
consider getting a IT job even for only day
a week, better than nothing at all, but
it ain't that easy.

Giddy,
I'm a multimedia student for 3 years. I run two small business. One is early this year and one is after finish my course this year with my best friend who she is also a multimedia design. My best friend and i know each other for almost 18 years since pre-school.
We do not impact for being deafness in a small business. We are very happy that who we are.

1. "Geek chick Production" - I run my own small business as design for my clients as web, graphic, animation and motion. My small business has been successful.

2. "Dots Chicks Designs" - Best friend and i will setting up a small business for general multimedia design.
- I do drawing, 2d/3d animation, motion and designer
- My best friend do HTML, PHP, Flash action script and designer
- If we can't do anything else and we always shared the designers.

3. I might looking for a other job as visual effects after finish my University.

You can check out my show reel...
YouTube - Showreel'07

HOH myself... senior programmer. Biggest challenge lately is conference calls with clients in America (I live in England). I wish they would use the chat room they set up! My coworkers are difficult to understand but they repeat themselves.

If my hearing loss is progressive i will surely face more challenges!

My biggest challenge is to take a +net,msce, Advanced Microsoft,Novell, and other courses at Virgina College for Network Engineer Diploma.I can't find a good interpreter who knows about computers. So I gave up after I passed the A+ Cert. But I still want to go back though. Any tips?

Back