Deaf Teachers teaching Deaf Students [ in an ORALISM school ]

How many of those would become teachers, but are discouraged from doing so because of their speech skills, and the limited number of bi-bi programs available?

Teaching used to be a primary occupation of deaf adults, in the days when Deaf schools used ASL as the language of instruction. Not just as teachers, but as employees of all sorts at the institutions. The number of deaf individuals even studying education has plummeted in correlation to the push for more oral programs. That is the point being made. The push in deaf education today is restricting deaf individuals' employment opportunities. Ironic, isn't it?

My point is that some people are using the simple comment "1 or 2 deaf teachers in oral schools" as PROOF that deaf teachers are being discouraged from teaching there. I'm saying that it's a horrendous argument simply because there aren't that many deaf teachers in the first place. Now if people have seen it first hand or something, well, that's a different matter. I wouldn't be surprised if oral schools tend to shy away from deaf teachers for a number of reasons.

Daredevel, it is not only the schools but the parents as well. I have seen evidence of parents demanding their children have hearing teachers. Hate to say it but it is starting to happen at the deaf schools as well. :(

Daredevel, it is not only the schools but the parents as well. I have seen evidence of parents demanding their children have hearing teachers. Hate to say it but it is starting to happen at the deaf schools as well. :(

Well, that sucks, especially for deaf schools. In my limited experience, most hearing people just cannot achieve enough fluency in ASL to be able to explain ANYTHING in ASL.

Well, that sucks, especially for deaf schools. In my limited experience, most hearing people just cannot achieve enough fluency in ASL to be able to explain ANYTHING in ASL.

Yes. That sucks to be me that I had hearing teachers with limited signs in deaf schools except Gallaudet.

Forgive me for being arrogant, but I think I can be better than most of those hearing teachers! For one, I can relate! Whatever. In any case... I will apply to every school possible! I take my Praxis II in June of next year, so I have a year to go!! And here we go..... :)

Yes faire joure, its a combonation of reasons why most Deaf folks wouldn't teach at an oral school. Clear "like hearing" speech and articulation (with no pitch or volumne issues) AND sophisticated language is pretty rare overall, even with oral sucesses.
I'm not saying that means that kids can't aquire oral abilty.....just that most deaf kids can aquire oral abilty that is good for dhh kids but not on a par with hearing kids.
Even many hoh kids have significent trouble with speech and language you know!

Forgive me for being arrogant, but I think I can be better than most of those hearing teachers! For one, I can relate! Whatever. In any case... I will apply to every school possible! I take my Praxis II in June of next year, so I have a year to go!! And here we go..... :)

Good luck taking the Praxis...already took that stuff. Boring!

I think you will be better because you have experienced what it is like being deaf.

It seems not to matter lately because of the push for oralism by the medical community because of CIs.

Agreed. It is not being offered as "proof" that oral skills don't hire deaf, signing teachers. It is being shown that there is an end result, and it is coming from somewhere. Whether it is the actual hiring practices, or something more covert like parental pressure, the end result is the same.

That isn't arrogance. It is simply putting your strengths out there.

I wish Adam's school had a teacher or aide or two that was deaf... I will say their former director wore bilateral aids but I don't know how if her hearing loss was congenital or accuired-- if she hadn't pointed them out to me I would never have known she wore them... but she's no longer there.

But as far as teachers, aids, workers, etc... Nope, not a single one is deaf-- or hard of hearing. To me it would be nice if we had at least one (it's a very small school) just so the kids would have someone they related to-- who could really understand what they were dealing with...

I did work w/a student way back in the early 90's who had a personal aid... the child was one of the first kids in the area I lived in who had received a CI his ED was deaf-- wore bilateral aids, and was a beauty queen :D (just a side note there) but that was in a mainstreamed environment and TC was the goal there.

Back