Deaf Swimmers?

Deaf-CIgirl

Reaction score
Is there anyone here who is hoh/deaf and swims. I play water polo and swim and it is extremely hard to succeed and be normal with all my other hearing teammates. Does anyone have any advice or stories to share?

Swimming is an excellent form of exercise. Because the density of the human body is very similar to that of water, the body is supported by the water and less stress is therefore placed on joints and bones. Swimming is frequently used as an exercise in rehabilitation after injuries or for those with disabilities.

having grown up in a pool almost every day, I'd say, yeah, water polo is kinda toughy sport, but awesome one. I did not have high school water polo team or I would have definately played. Yes, i don't see a lot of disadvantageoius things to deafness and water polo- go 4 it!

having grown up in a pool almost every day, I'd say, yeah, water polo is kinda toughy sport, but awesome one. I did not have high school water polo team or I would have definately played. Yes, i don't see a lot of disadvantageoius things to deafness and water polo- go 4 it!

I interpreted for water polo :)

I used to swim but I didnt make it because I want close to speed that they wanted.

i have several deaf friends who are water polo and swimmers. two of them are deaflympics, they said that it is helps to focus themselves than worry about others.

Just play the best what you can give, ingore the worriesomes.

I've played water polo since I was 13 so that would be almost 10 years now. I grew up playing for hearing squads and never had a problem, was recruited by several colleges. What helped was that I was always tight with my squads and I could actually play and always started.

Just make sure you show your skills and be best you can be. I liked being the deaf player because nobody expect anything out of me then they realize that I'm one of the best players on the team and end up double-teaming me.

Back