Deaf students and SCHOOL interpreters??

Recover5302

Reaction score
Does your interpreter sign ASL,PSE or, SEE...?

Last edited:
This can be an interesting situation. Normally interpreters should sign whatever the client wants, but in K-12 there may be an IEP requiring a certain type.

This can be an interesting situation. Normally interpreters should sign whatever the client wants, but in K-12 there may be an IEP requiring a certain type.
True.

In the school, the student is the consumer but the client (the person who hires and pays the terp) is the school system. :hmm:

I've noticed in schools that the other problem is, some terps say, "Yes, I interpret using ASL," when really it's PSE, very close to SEE on the signing scale.

It may be PSE that the school wants but if that's the case the terp should at least be honest and accurate when describing what he or she is using.

Often the hearing family and staff are at the mercy of whatever the interpreter tells them.

I was asking because my interpreter said that SHE will sign english BECAUSE its better for school! It caught me off gaurd. I thought it was really rude of the interpreter to pick for me. I can understand her but it's easier in ASL.My other interpreter signs ASL I love her signing. She didn't AUTOMATIcALLY say "hey I will sign ENGLISH for school because its better"? So was she saying the Deaf need better english?

I was asking because my interpreter said that SHE will sign english BECAUSE its better for school! It caught me off gaurd. I thought it was really rude of the interpreter to pick for me. I can understand her but it's easier in ASL.My other interpreter signs ASL I love her signing. She didn't AUTOMATIcALLY say "hey I will sign ENGLISH for school because its better"? So was she saying the Deaf need better english?
They're supposed to meet the requirements of your IEP, so you need to check that.

yes, the interpreter code of ethics says the interpreter should ask the client their preference.

If you're over 18, then the interpreter is required to follow you request in an educational environment. If you're a minor, your parents can state that the interpreter must use _____.

If you are a minor you need to talk with your parents, and make sure they are comfortable etc with YOU dictating what style and type of signing is used (ASL, PSE, SEE etc). Then they need to check your IEP, and call a meeting if needed to make any adjustments which would allow you to have partial or complete control over what signing is used. (Personally, I could never use SEE to LEARN anything... it's just so cumbersome, and difficult to understand for anyone who actually thinks in ASL ... or even PSE)

When I was in university, I would request slightly different signing styles (basically PSE or ASL) depending on the course content etc.

yes, the interpreter code of ethics says the interpreter should ask the client their preference.
True but here again is the problem--who is the client? In a public school (K-12) setting, the client (the one who hires and pays the interpreter) is the school system, not the student. The student, a legal minor, is the consumer.

School terps have always been in an ethical haze for that reason, and for the reason of no confidentiality within the teaching team and staff.

Then, to add to the mix, there's the IEP to be dealt with.

Another problem is, sometimes younger children don't know what they want because they haven't been exposed to the options.

We're not talking about a perfect world scenario.

True but here again is the problem--who is the client? In a public school (K-12) setting, the client (the one who hires and pays the interpreter) is the school system, not the student. The student, a legal minor, is the consumer.

School terps have always been in an ethical haze for that reason, and for the reason of no confidentiality within the teaching team and staff.

Then, to add to the mix, there's the IEP to be dealt with.

Another problem is, sometimes younger children don't know what they want because they haven't been exposed to the options.

We're not talking about a perfect world scenario.

I am a COLLEGE student...raised using ASL.

If you're over 18, then the interpreter is required to follow you request in an educational environment. If you're a minor, your parents can state that the interpreter must use _____.

If you are a minor you need to talk with your parents, and make sure they are comfortable etc with YOU dictating what style and type of signing is used (ASL, PSE, SEE etc). Then they need to check your IEP, and call a meeting if needed to make any adjustments which would allow you to have partial or complete control over what signing is used. (Personally, I could never use SEE to LEARN anything... it's just so cumbersome, and difficult to understand for anyone who actually thinks in ASL ... or even PSE)

When I was in university, I would request slightly different signing styles (basically PSE or ASL) depending on the course content etc.

okay,the first said english was better for the school enviornment. I guess it does depend. She often looks at me wierd when I sign. I also have another terp.With her, when I sign she gets it completely..lol

If you're a college student, then you should tell your interpreter to use ASL. If they refuse, tell the disability services office to get you a different interpreter. The interpreter doesn't get to say what is "better for school" if you are an adult.

You didn't say in your first post what level you were talking about, so the other stuff about IEPs and minor children doesn't apply. :cool2:

I'm sorry, I guess I missed that. Since you said the terp used English signs because that was "better for the school" I assumed you meant high school.

I interpret at a college, and I've never heard of such a thing.

Yeah that is what I said when she told me that? :roll:
I have no idea. She also has this big ego. Terps are cool but when they act like they know everything. Well...that's annoying:hmm:

If you're a college student, then you should tell your interpreter to use ASL. If they refuse, tell the disability services office to get you a different interpreter. The interpreter doesn't get to say what is "better for school" if you are an adult.

You didn't say in your first post what level you were talking about, so the other stuff about IEPs and minor children doesn't apply. :cool2:

We have a shortage of TERPS so I can't be picky really..:shock:

We have a shortage of TERPS so I can't be picky really..:shock:
How far (geographically) have they searched? In our state it's not uncommon for terps to commute to colleges 100 miles one way.

If you are in College than YOU dictate the signing style you wish to have from your interpreter. YOU tell them you want SEE, PSE or ASL.... it is not up to the interpreter OR disability services.

The only situation in which someone else could dictate if the interpreter used SEE,PSE,ASL is a k-12 school setting where you are a minor and your PARENTS could overrule your preferences.

In COLLEGE or UNIVERSITY - it is YOU and ONLY YOU who state the your needs for signing. If you ask for ASL, they are required to sign ASL, if you ask for PSE, they have to use PSE (that one's a bit "tricky", but qualified interpreters don't have issues with it).
The university/college and the interpreters do NOT have any "say" on what type of signing that YOU should use (expressively and receptively)

The College/University hires the interpreter on YOUR behalf.

Back