Deaf Student Pilot needs ideas for Communication Aides for Radio Trans with Tower...

deafannieboo

Reaction score
Deaf student pilot here needing ideas of communication assistance to communicate with the tower. I can speak so i just need help receiving and understanding incoming transitions... something along the lines of captioning... I know the Light Gun can be used but my instructor and I are trying to think of a more efficient way in case I can not notify the tower in advance that I require Gun use.

Also, I am in DIRE need of funding assistance for the private pilot license, Instrument Ratings, and Commercial License... DARS is of no assistance and besides taking forever, most scholarships only provide small amts of funding... since i am not going thru an Aviation College I am having hard time finding Assistance.... Any one have any good ideas? I am in need of at least obtaining my private license asap...

Thanks guys! :ty: :wave:

Used to know a deaf pilot. He said he could only fly from private or small fields. And could not get instrument rating since he needs hearing for that.

Inspires me! Go and fly high! One of my dreams is flying, both single/twin/light sport aircraft and glider in the future. I kept various links contain relevant informations.

At FAA website--you may already saw it, but here is the link for everyone else who may be interested: Deaf Pilot Frequently Asked Questions

Scholarships--http://ableflight.org/scholarships
Here is inspiring stories, you may have seen them, but for everyone else here is it:

AOPA Online: 'Sharing a brain cell'

Flying without sound

Lets Go Flying » Blog Archive » Sky: No Limits!

Deaf pilot spreads the word: You can fly

How Does A Deaf Pilot Get An Instrument Rating?

France: Deaf Pilots

Used to know a deaf pilot. He said he could only fly from private or small fields. And could not get instrument rating since he needs hearing for that.

There is a way around it to get instrument rating.

Stephen Hopson made the history in 2006, become the first deaf pilot to earn instrument rating.

update... my flight instructor is donating all instruction time for my private pilot license!!!! He said he believes in what i am trying to do and will do all he can to help. i just need to find assistance to pay for fuel and exam. what an angel! once i get private ill need instrument ratings then commercial... then i can do Bush Training...
I have flown in a Glider and fell in love with flying and i know its possible to do this... i wont give up!

Thanks Marisa for the email!

Back