Deaf speech therapist???

I don't agree with that. I had speech therapy from age 2 to high school. I didn't love it (bored me) but I didn't hate it either. If anything, it was an excuse to get out of an otherwise boring class that I would have been in instead. That doesn't make me anti-Deaf. There are plenty on this board that identify themselves as Deaf and have speech skills. I no longer focus on improving my speech (haven't since speech therapy stopped) so I don't consider my life an eternal speech therapy session. What people hear of my voice is what they get. That's all there is to it.

I'm not saying that appreciating oral abilty makes you anti-Deaf. I'm glad I have oral abilty as well.
But I am saying that the speech therapy business OVERALL tends to take the "speech is the most important tool" mindset.....make sense? Dhh kids are usually a very very small part of their caseload, and when they do see the kids, they tend to use their " gotta make it so that dhh kids can function "normally" approach. I DO think that it's possible for a speech therapist that works with dhh kids (ie one who works at a School for the Deaf) to take an English as a second language approach with teaching dhh kids, spoken language....

To be a speech therapist, you need to hear. Having a deaf speech therapist is like trying to get a job teaching Russian based on your experience being around a lot of Russians.....

I do know that most of speech therapy with a dhh kid tends to be more about spoken language. However even HOH kids still require articulation and pitch, volumne and all those other "mechanics" of speech......very few dhh kids can fully master the mechanics of speech. They can learn to speak yes....but unfortunately it will never be perfect or like hearing.

So you all saying there are no Deaf speech therapist in your country? I just only want to know if there are have Deaf speech therapist or not. I only know that Deaf person who can do paraprofessional (not really qualified) working with Deaf children but I only WANT to know if there is any REAL professional Deaf speech therapist out there? Please do not think of me about wanting to become Deaf speech therapist. I don't intend to think about become one. They are for my Deaf studies resource so I can provide to my students because it is very important for them to know that Deaf people can do anything in their life. I don't want hearing people to think "Oh, poor Deaf people, they can't do anything like equal hearing people can do." This is why I want the fairness and equality that Deaf people can get the chance to try it out.

So you all saying there are no Deaf speech therapist in your country? I just only want to know if there are have Deaf speech therapist or not. I only know that Deaf person who can do paraprofessional (not really qualified) working with Deaf children but I only WANT to know if there is any REAL professional Deaf speech therapist out there? Please do not think of me about wanting to become Deaf speech therapist. I don't intend to think about become one. They are for my Deaf studies resource so I can provide to my students because it is very important for them to know that Deaf people can do anything in their life. I don't want hearing people to think "Oh, poor Deaf people, they can't do anything like equal hearing people can do." This is why I want the fairness and equality that Deaf people can get the chance to try it out.

I don't know of one but I think deaf people can be speech therapists. If they enjoy it and I think that would be great for deaf children out there to have a role model instead of only hearing people.

Good point...... A deaf person prolly couldn't be a garden variety speech therapist, especially as so much of their caseload tends to be kids with articulation and pure speech issues. But they might be able to be a specialized speech therapist, like the kind that specializes in augmentive and alternative communication, and feeding therapies.

Bottesini, go to google and look up "deaf speech therapist" and find the third page in the google, look for "DO-IT News * July 1996" and you will see Dr. Gay-Llyod Pinder's comment "I bet I am the only Deaf speech therapist around!"

I can think of one circumstance of a Deaf person being a "speech therapist"- one who uses a Cochlear Implant.

Interesting not mentioned above.

Yayyyy!! It took me 5 days to find the professional Deaf speech therapist through the google! Finally phew for me! I was so sure there is a professional deaf person who can do speech therapist.
NDTA™: Neuro-Developmental Treatment Association See it for yourself.

That's awesome for her but... as a Deaf person (which is the intent of your research, to show Deaf can do), I am not impressed. I would have been more impressed if she became an educator or got a minor promotion at the local Wendy's.

Just saying...

I read that Dr. G-L Pinder has been deaf for the past 12 years but graduated as a speech language pathologist in 1972. I think this is a key bit of information when discussing the topic of the possibilities of a 'deaf speech therapist'.

I agree. I enjoyed speech therapy as a kind of game.

And on the subject of deaf speech therapists, my daughter who learned her speech from me, did require speech therapy. :P

There was a girl that worked at Mozzeria in SF that spoke with a "deaf accent." Turns out she was hearing (only hearing employee there I think) but both of her parents were deaf. I always wondered if she spoke that way all they time or if it was a habit when she was around deaf people. Super sweet girl either way. Great waitress too.

There was a girl that worked at Mozzeria in SF that spoke with a "deaf accent." Turns out she was hearing (only hearing employee there I think) but both of her parents were deaf. I always wondered if she spoke that way all they time or if it was a habit when she was around deaf people. Super sweet girl either way. Great waitress too.

Interesting. My deaf girlfriend's kids (when they were younger) always spoke with the 'accent' around their parents and other deaf adults but not when they were with hearing people only.

Interesting. My deaf girlfriend's kids (when they were younger) always spoke with the 'accent' around their parents and other deaf adults but not when they were with hearing people only.

I had a friend in high school whose mom was deaf and he was the same way.

Back