Deaf speech therapist???

SpaceyUFO

Reaction score
Hello, I wanted to know if there anyone who can do speech therapist? I wanted to proof to my hearing students that Deaf can do speech therapist. Or tell me I'm wrong?

I would be grateful if you could let me know if there people out there can do that for a job.

Many thanks for your help.

I've been looking for something similar in terms of college classes for speech or perhaps speech therapy classes. I haven't found any specifically for it so I'm guessing it is more part of the English special ed curriculum.

I've been looking for something similar in terms of college classes for speech or perhaps speech therapy classes. I haven't found any specifically for it so I'm guessing it is more part of the English special ed curriculum.

no... you should look for professional speech therapist

Is it really necessary to show off to hearing people? "Hey, look, deaf people can be speech therapist". What is the point? It sucks that some people think that they need to prove to other people that they can do this or that. I'm deaf and am realistic. I know I won't be a speech therapist.

Just be yourself.

My first speech therapist was HOH , she came to my house and I really liked her because she could understand what I was going through. Unfortunately my dad was so jealous that I liked her so much that he got rid of her!

Is it really necessary to show off to hearing people? "Hey, look, deaf people can be speech therapist". What is the point? It sucks that some people think that they need to prove to other people that they can do this or that. I'm deaf and am realistic. I know I won't be a speech therapist.

Just be yourself.

Today, do not believe deafness is a limitation to becoming a speech therapist. We can visually see voice through waveform and pitch graphs. Furthermore, there is voice reconition software that can be used as well. It is not the same as true hearing, but might be more accurate than a hearing aid. So, in theory, if you can read the sound waves and be able to diagnose speech issues from it, I do not see any reason you cannot be a speech therapist.

Would you be a very good speech therapist? That might be an area of debate.

Today, do not believe deafness is a limitation to becoming a speech therapist. We can visually see voice through waveform and pitch graphs. Furthermore, there is voice reconition software that can be used as well. It is not the same as true hearing, but might be more accurate than a hearing aid. So, in theory, if you can read the sound waves and be able to diagnose speech issues from it, I do not see any reason you cannot be a speech therapist.

Would you be a very good speech therapist? That might be an area of debate.

Good question. I would probably not make for a good speech therapist. If someone else is deaf and want to be one, go for it. Do not do it just to prove the others that deafs can do it.

Hello, I wanted to know if there anyone who can do speech therapist? I wanted to proof to my hearing students that Deaf can do speech therapist. Or tell me I'm wrong?

I would be grateful if you could let me know if there people out there can do that for a job.

Many thanks for your help.

less talk, more action. you wanna prove it? do it. don't look for other person to prove it for you. do it yourself.

Why would a deaf person want to be a speech therapist? Seriously........their mentality is very anti Deaf. They don't consider oral skills to be an additional useful skill, but rather that dhh kids should be in an eternal speech therapy session.

Why would a deaf person want to be a speech therapist? Seriously........their mentality is very anti Deaf. They don't consider oral skills to be an additional useful skill, but rather that dhh kids should be in an eternal speech therapy session.

What? Why are you being a downer on a deaf person's dream?

What? Why are you being a downer on a deaf person's dream?

Nobody's downing any dreams. I think some people need to be realistic in order to be taken seriously. It's like a fragrance company hiring a person who has no sense of smell in the quality assurances department. Let's not let there be a remake of "Dumb and Dumber". Oh wait... they did come out with "Dumb and Dumberer".

Then you are willing to prove you can do it. So go for it.

Actually it is not for me, I just want to know if there is a Deaf person who can do the job such as a speech therapist. At the currently, I'm teaching New Zealand Sign Language and the Deaf Studies to hearing adults. I am so sure there is Deaf person who do the speech therapist. It is about Deaf attitude "DEAF CAN DO". I know there are no Deaf person who can do speech therapist in New Zealand but I am sure somebody who do that maybe in America? I really don't know that. Anyway, thanks for your reply.

For example, I found the information from the website about Deaf who can do the jobs like Deaf policeman, Deaf fireman, Deaf actress, Deaf doctor, Deaf Taxman, Deaf lawyer but I want to know if there is any Deaf speech therapist out there? I just want my hearing students to understand that Deaf people who can do anything exempt hearing, that's all.

Nobody's downing any dreams. I think some people need to be realistic in order to be taken seriously. It's like a fragrance company hiring a person who has no sense of smell in the quality assurances department. Let's not let there be a remake of "Dumb and Dumber". Oh wait... they did come out with "Dumb and Dumberer".

Nah, these words were negative....they were not about being realistic.

Why would a deaf person want to be a speech therapist?

Seriously........their mentality is very anti Deaf.

They don't consider oral skills to be an additional useful skill, but rather that dhh kids should be in an eternal speech therapy session.

I don't agree with that. I had speech therapy from age 2 to high school. I didn't love it (bored me) but I didn't hate it either. If anything, it was an excuse to get out of an otherwise boring class that I would have been in instead. That doesn't make me anti-Deaf. There are plenty on this board that identify themselves as Deaf and have speech skills. I no longer focus on improving my speech (haven't since speech therapy stopped) so I don't consider my life an eternal speech therapy session. What people hear of my voice is what they get. That's all there is to it.

I don't agree with that. I had speech therapy from age 2 to high school. I didn't love it (bored me) but I didn't hate it either. If anything, it was an excuse to get out of an otherwise boring class that I would have been in instead. That doesn't make me anti-Deaf. There are plenty on this board that identify themselves as Deaf and have speech skills. I no longer focus on improving my speech (haven't since speech therapy stopped) so I don't consider my life an eternal speech therapy session. What people hear of my voice is what they get. That's all there is to it.

I agree. I enjoyed speech therapy as a kind of game.

And on the subject of deaf speech therapists, my daughter who learned her speech from me, did require speech therapy. :P

Not even close...you need to find a school with majors in speech pathology or audiology. Special Ed wouldn't address this as it's a specialized area and a service many stroke patients would need or those recovering from head injuries that have affected speech.

I do have to wonder how well this would go. I imagine a deaf person that went through speech therapy themselves would have oodles of experience as to what techniques worked best, what was too boring monotonous and what not. BUT I have wonder well they could actually provide speech therapy, are they going to be able to hear what someone is saying well enough to see what areas need work, what someone has accomplished and no longer need work on? I wouldn't feel confident doing it that's for sure, as it is I mostly hear vowels I'm pretty sure I would be no help at all. I've been told I'm developing a deaf accent....I can't tell, how am I going to tell if someone else does? During the summer some of my family was visiting, and I said the word motorcycle, and my niece told me I said it weird. So I said it again, and I'm all what I said it fine right? She says no, you're still saying weird, it sounded fine to me......so how would I know if someone else is saying something weird you know what I mean?

To be a speech therapist, you need to hear. Having a deaf speech therapist is like trying to get a job teaching Russian based on your experience being around a lot of Russians.....

Back