Deaf society???

TTT

Reaction score
I don't know why my mother put me in Mainstream schools...
where I have to get interpreters and be in deaf group.

But I feel I don't belong in the deaf society.

I think I would do well if I was in schools where they
put people with all kind of disabilities.

Maybe if I have a Treacher Collins Sydrome child,
I wouldn't want my child in with deaf group.

But put in general disability group.

And I think I would have done well... I can hear with my bone conductor hearing aids. It could have been my brain, maybe I am a little slow.

I argued with my special education teachers to put me in
normal classroom... so they did... And LOST. I don't know
what is going on. I just put my head on the desk and went to sleep.

So my special education teachers put me back in deaf group...
and I was so mad. And they asked me how many days in a week.
I was in 5th grade at the time... and I didn't know how many days
in a week. I couldn't tell time. I didn't know how many days in a year.
The special education teachers were so hard on me and yelling at me.

I felt I was so retarded.

Did my mom do the right thing by putting me in mainstream school
with deaf group? Or should she have put me in general disability school?

I wish I'd been able to take advantage of going to a school with a dhh group. I HATED...and I mean HATED trying to be assilmulated...I remember thinking that I was the only hoh kid in the entire world! I do think that educational experts should encourage specialized schools for kids with general disabilties...I mean it would help with schduling issues...I remember in high school I never had speech b/c I was so busy with other stuff!!!!

Schedule

Yeah, they need to do this...

1 hour and 30 mins for English
1 hour and 30 mins for Speech and Sign Language
1 hour for Math
30 mins for Science
30 mins for Social Studies/History
30 mins for Physical Education
30 mins for Health

I don't know why Music class was so important...
Some deaf students can't hear.

LOL....I remember sitting in second grade during reading and being completly baffled by the concept of syllabels (a sound based concept) and I remember not understanding how to read music or what some music sounded like. (I can hear pretty well with my aids but my concept of hearing and music is probaly not the same as a hearing person's idear of music and hearing)

I had to take music class along with other deaf students in mainstreamed class.:roll: I was forced to learn how to play flute. I attended a program for hearing impaired in hearing school which is ironic cuz IMO, I think the program I was in should waive the music class for deaf students.

SilverRoxy said:
I had to take music class along with other deaf students in mainstreamed class.:roll: I was forced to learn how to play flute. I attended a program for hearing impaired in hearing school which is ironic cuz IMO, I think the program I was in should waive the music class for deaf students.

Oh you are so right.

In that case, music classes within the deaf program should be an elective....

Oh really ? I understand that I wouldn't like
to be forced to sign up for any classes that
I'm not interested in.

Geez, I would love to learn/play music
or something like this here... (even if I cannot hear any music, ha)

party421.gif
djmixing.gif
music341.gif
music049.gif

club.gif

Last edited:
TTT said:
Yeah, they need to do this...

1 hour and 30 mins for English
1 hour and 30 mins for Speech and Sign Language
1 hour for Math
30 mins for Science
30 mins for Social Studies/History
30 mins for Physical Education
30 mins for Health

Well well well, I might support the importance of music class -- EVEN for profound deaf like me. I couldn't hear a thing, except for Top Fuel drag car going off within 50 feet, PAINFULLY. Music is more of art, regardless of how it was sung in words. It is more of arts in communication; how the emotion was expressed by sound or vibrations. Most deaf people are very sensitive to vibrations, because a loss of one sense strengthen others. I became fascinated into vibrations, with analytical mind, I analyzed further using various objects. Soft object vibrates in response to low frequency whereas harder object to higher frequency. It is very sensational to me, full of solace and serenity, sometimes wild or however the music is. It also help me to trigger my poetic imagination, after watching so much musicals on TV while sticking my feet to TV trying to connect words in haramony to music. I began to learn the intention of music mood and atmosphere of it all. I strenuously think deaf should learn music, however, how it was taught should be altered. Teacher who teaches music MUST understand how it is like to be deaf, and MUST understand how vibrations are interpreted BEFORE music lessons are taught to the deaf. Otherwise it will be SO hard for them to learn what music is like. hmm... I guess I will try and write poem on what music is like, in vivid imaginations.

It is like blind not being able to see the scene of such beauty in nature, but to be able to hear the effect of it all, winds whistling amongst grass, birds flying around and such.

When I was younger, I did went to music class and had to sang with the group, I couldn't even hear myself singing or the others as well, and I didn't think I needed to be there ....

I think the school should be a bit aware that some deaf people can't hear at all, what to learn in music anyways?....

Don't get me wrong here, I LOVE music, and I enjoy listening to them but I only can hear the sounds, not the words....but being in the music class made me feel I wasn't part of the group, cause they were able to hear each other's voices and what it may sound like, and what if I sang so horrible you know?... :-o ..

^Angel^ said:
When I was younger, I did went to music class and had to sang with the group, I couldn't even hear myself singing or the others as well, and I didn't think I needed to be there ....

I think the school should be a bit aware that some deaf people can't hear at all, what to learn in music anyways?....

Don't get me wrong here, I LOVE music, and I enjoy listening to them but I only can hear the sounds, not the words....but being in the music class made me feel I wasn't part of the group, cause they were able to hear each other's voices and what it may sound like, and what if I sang so horrible you know?... :-o ..

You might have different point of view on the music itself even if you can understand it. I've asked few simple questions towards deaf culture and MANY of them couldn't tell the difference between tremble & bass and what's not. Sometimes they became VERY interested into music, simply because they weren't introduced to music and wish that they were educated that way. There are musical deaf people out there that work as a sound effect technician and few other position that deals with music in the real world, and yet we didn't realize that they are actually there. By the way did you know that Beethoven is deaf, and used the string to "sense" the vibration?

TTT said:

A Grammar School for the Deaf in England, Deaf students learn to write and speak French as their second language, and taking their O'Level and A'Level exams for it.

Some said it is waste of time, because they can't hear it.

What stopping them, they can do it, same with music too.

Oh Dear...

Please do not ask me to sing the song ! I am afraid, I will break all of your window glasses !!

Do not sue me !! :gossip:

That's why I said earlier that I think music classes for the deaf should be an elective course because for some, it is not relevant.

Hi, I am severe hearing loss, but was not always. Has been progressive. I can remember though being in fifth grade music (before my hearing loss was detected) and we had to pick out the different instruments on the record. I NEVER could and always failed that test. Funny thing is noone even associated that with hearing loss back then. Stupid teachers. Anyway I was always amazed how others could hear individual instruments. Then as teenager I could never memorize songs on radio like my friends. The words sounded funny and I always got them mixed up. Today I hear music some, but even aided no detectible words. I still love music (best is full orchestra with no words, the sound is so full you can feel it) and encourage my kids (hearing) to play instruments so that if they go deaf, they will have even better connection in future. So music is important for feelings, but I would never mandate it to the deaf...it can be too stressful. Today, my kids music class (in regular school) is much for enjoyment oriented so there isn't the pressure like in my day. My kids never had music test in elementary. Thanks, Lisa.

Back