Deaf Side Story Without the Deaf?! Sign the Petition!

Emmer

Reaction score
I had mentioned this in a previous post, but I decided to start a new one. I would really appreciate as many signatures as possible.

To sign the petition, please go to:
Human Rights Petition: No Deaf in Deaf Side Story? | Change.org

I am writing you because I am concerned about an announcement of an upcoming event in my ASL class.

A professor from the speech department of Muskingum University, Rachel Pollock, came and visited our ASL 1 class last Monday. She had a wonderful idea that she presented that she wanted to do a reader's theater, called "Deaf Side Story: The Musical." Her idea was to present Deaf culture, using a play, musical, book review, and improv acting. She invited our ASL 1 students to be in this musical. This concerned me to begin with as we have had 3 classes as of the day of the announcement. We have very basic ASL skills and an extremely limited knowledge of Deaf culture. The other flag that went up was that she is hearing and barely signs herself.

After she had presented, I began asking questions. All of the people who will be in the play are also hearing. Though she is working with someone long distance to teach signs to the cast. There will be no Deaf involved, not even helping to keep their portrayal of the Deaf community accurate.

When I asked why she didn't include someone from the Deaf community, or find Deaf to play the Deaf parts of the musical. She responded that there weren't any Deaf close enough. I found this extremely ironic considering our instructor is Deaf and was in the room at the time. While this area may not have an overwhelming Deaf population as some larger cities, they exist!

Her cluelessness about the Deaf culture, hesitancy to include any Deaf in the production, and request for beginning ASL students to join really threw up red flags for me. In addition to several performances around the area, she would like to take this presentation to Los Angeles to the American Reader's Theater Association Nationals.

I am extremely concerned that this will lead to more misunderstanding of the Deaf community. I have started this petition to allow others to have their say in the desire to either include the Deaf community or not do this performance at all.

Could I suggest you get out in your community and find deaf people to sign?

It should carry a lot more weight than the signatures of a bunch of random strangers , around the country.

I had mentioned this in a previous post, but I decided to start a new one. I would really appreciate as many signatures as possible.

To sign the petition, please go to:
Human Rights Petition: No Deaf in Deaf Side Story? | Change.org

I am writing you because I am concerned about an announcement of an upcoming event in my ASL class.

A professor from the speech department of Muskingum University, Rachel Pollock, came and visited our ASL 1 class last Monday. She had a wonderful idea that she presented that she wanted to do a reader's theater, called "Deaf Side Story: The Musical." Her idea was to present Deaf culture, using a play, musical, book review, and improv acting. She invited our ASL 1 students to be in this musical. This concerned me to begin with as we have had 3 classes as of the day of the announcement. We have very basic ASL skills and an extremely limited knowledge of Deaf culture. The other flag that went up was that she is hearing and barely signs herself.

After she had presented, I began asking questions. All of the people who will be in the play are also hearing. Though she is working with someone long distance to teach signs to the cast. There will be no Deaf involved, not even helping to keep their portrayal of the Deaf community accurate.

When I asked why she didn't include someone from the Deaf community, or find Deaf to play the Deaf parts of the musical. She responded that there weren't any Deaf close enough. I found this extremely ironic considering our instructor is Deaf and was in the room at the time. While this area may not have an overwhelming Deaf population as some larger cities, they exist!

Her cluelessness about the Deaf culture, hesitancy to include any Deaf in the production, and request for beginning ASL students to join really threw up red flags for me. In addition to several performances around the area, she would like to take this presentation to Los Angeles to the American Reader's Theater Association Nationals.

I am extremely concerned that this will lead to more misunderstanding of the Deaf community. I have started this petition to allow others to have their say in the desire to either include the Deaf community or not do this performance at all.

Did you try to talk with professor after your last post? Did you try to talk with your ASL teach? Did you do anything other than bring direct confrontation such as finding other deaf people to be in the show?

My ASL teacher doesn't want to get involved, as it is her job. I am still working with several organizations and also e-mailed MacMurray College (origins of Deaf Side Story from what I gather). Two organizations suggested that I start a petition to show support, so that is what I've done. I'm trying to work with the local Deaf community as well, mainly the one in Columbus as they have a fairly large community and we aren't really that far from them.

The professor is nothing but defensive and rude.

My ASL teacher doesn't want to get involved, as it is her job. I am still working with several organizations and also e-mailed MacMurray College (origins of Deaf Side Story from what I gather). Two organizations suggested that I start a petition to show support, so that is what I've done. I'm trying to work with the local Deaf community as well, mainly the one in Columbus as they have a fairly large community and we aren't really that far from them.

The professor is nothing but defensive and rude.

She is defensive and rude because you are trying to tell her how to run her project instead of working with her to help it. Furthermore, as a teacher it's her job to teach the students IN the school which pays hers (rightfully so) and for each part you give to someone outside the school your are taking that part away from a student from the school. Does it make any sense to have a MacMurray College play without MacMurray college students?

One thing is for sure, this good thought about promoting awareness of the deaf community and ASL will NEVER enter this person's mind again. In fact, you can sure all her friends will think twice about doing anything like that as well. And, guess what their professions might be?

As far as I can tell, this is not a case were the teacher is stealing thunder of the deaf community. It is a case were she is bringing it to a place it does not exist. That is a lot different than what happened during the civil rights movement.

You are in school to learn not teach, if you want to teach then get a classroom yourself and have a play.

It amazes me that two people who are trying to do a good thing have to fight about it, this is why good things don't happen often.

Last edited:
Back