Deaf Shows!!!

jessewhitelaw

Reaction score
My school had opened a show as west side story!
which it come with sign and 4 deaf kids in show!!!
and one deaf spot light that me!!
so it will be in WORLDS WIDE ABC NEWS IN FULL SHOW stay in tunes we will start air next week hopeful

soo if anyone live in Florida near fort lauderdale
Email me alienwarecomp14@tmail dot com
if you want see that show with sign it real great great shows in world right now.. dont miss tell everyone about it!

<embed id='player_swf' src='http://media.vmixcore.com/core-flash/UnifiedVideoPlayer/UnifiedVideoPlayer.swf' quality='high' width='316' height='269' name='UnifiedVideoPlayer' align='middle' play='true' loop='false' quality='high' allowScriptAccess='always' allowFullScreen='true' wmode='transparent' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' flashvars='player_id=8659f4ba0443c8ebb2025b29016dfa0d&token=08672c8537631d62f2eeb2df40bb5900' pluginspage='http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed>

Production retells 'West Side Story' in sign language - Front Page - MiamiHerald.com

SOUTH PLANTATION HIGH
Production retells 'West Side Story' in sign language
It takes singing -- and signing -- to tell the story of love and prejudice at South Plantation High.
Deaf actors give voice to West Side Story
Deaf students, including Giovanna Vazquez who plays \'Maria,\' participate in South Plantation High\'s production of West Side Story. \n
Miami Herald Staff
Deaf actors give voice to West Side Story
Deaf students, including Giovanna Vazquez who plays \'Maria,\' participate in South Plantation High\'s production of West Side Story. \n
Miami Herald Staff

* Deaf actors give voice to West Side Story

* Photos

Related Content

* If you go

BY NIRVI SHAH AND KIRSTIN MAGUIRE
nshah@MiamiHerald.com

In this version of the classic Broadway musical West Side Story, Maria falls in love with Tony without saying a word.

Instead, her hands do the singing -- by signing.

South Plantation High school's 2008 version of the nearly 50-year-old tale stars deaf and hearing students who, together, have spun an entirely new theatrical confection.

In the classic, the Puerto Rican Sharks and the 'American' Jets spar for control over the neighborhood. But Maria, sister of Sharks leader Bernardo, falls in love with Tony, a former Jet.

In this version, the culture clash goes beyond ethnicity: The Sharks are also deaf.

After months of planning, practicing and learning sign language, the show opened this week and continues through next weekend.

Maria is played by junior Giovanna Vazquez, who signs her parts, and junior Kellie Smith, who matches her voice to Giovanna's hands.

Tony's role belongs to senior Justin White, who has learned to sign, sing and act all at once.

South Plantation is where most of Broward's hard-of-hearing and deaf high school students -- about 40 -- attend classes.

''We've used American Sign Language as another form of communication. Every word, every song, is signed,'' said drama teacher Jason Zembuch, who started incorporating deaf students into school theater productions about five years ago.

Giovanna, Kellie and Justin had to work painstakingly to perfect their timing.

''You have to make your hands look like they're singing,'' said Justin, who has never had a role in a musical before, much less one so complex. ``The audience wants to know you're not just talking.''

IMPORTANT DETAILS

The League for the Hearing Impaired also offered advice, pointing out little details that can make a big difference to deaf members of the audience, said Allyson Dudich, the group's education coordinator.

The director ''had to make sure that everybody is seen fully from the front because they're using their hands,'' Dudich said. ``People in the audience are not going to get anything from the story if they can't see.''

Deaf cast members also helped make sure hearing characters' roles appear authentic.

Senior Frank Gonzalez -- who is not deaf -- plays Bernardo, Maria's brother.

''It's one of the best parts I've ever played,'' said Frank, 18, who now finds himself signing all the time. ``I can express myself just through my hands.''

It took him a while to get to that point, he said. ''I used to move my mouth a lot -- I'm not supposed to,'' he said.

This production is changing the dynamics at South Plantation, Dudich said. ''Historically, there's really been a separation, and deaf kids haven't really immersed themselves with the rest of the students,'' she said.

''For the lead role to be one of the deaf students, it starts to change everything. Everyone sees how talented [the deaf] are and how they can do everything everyone else can except hear,'' Dudich said.

Giovanna said she never considered acting until she met Zembuch.

''They have really worked with me,'' she said. ``I've learned a lot from this.''

Besides using deaf students and sign language -- the entire production is signed by three different students -- the production is infused with deaf culture. When Tony comes for Maria at the fire escape, she cannot hear him calling. So he shakes the ladder so she can feel its vibration.

When Maria's father calls her from offstage, the lights flash to indicate it.

NEW OPPORTUNITIES

High schools rarely put on deaf theater productions, said Aaron Kubey, executive director and president of the National Theatre of the Deaf.

``It means a lot to me that the school is willing to find a challenge -- a learning experience -- and show people that we really can be actors, we can do theater.''

Dudich credits director Zembuch with opening up a new career field for her students.

'What deaf kid would have thought `Hey, I'm going to go into theater sound and lighting?' The more people that open up and bring these kids in just shows that these kids can do what everybody else can do.''

But Kellie, who had the script for her dream role memorized months ago, was skeptical of Zembuch's concept at first.

''What? You split Maria apart?'' she remembers thinking. ``Now, I love it. I think it's genius.''

Zembuch, too, has learned sign language, and fires off instructions comfortably with his hands from the stage back to the control booth, where deaf senior Jesse Whitelaw is working lights.

''Jason expects the same from them as he does from everybody else,'' said interpreter Helene Cohn, ``which doesn't happen a lot in the real world.''

In the scene where Tony declares his love for Maria, actors Justin and Giovanna are on the fire escape. On the ground, Kellie sings Maria's lines:

''Tonight, tonight,'' she sings.

Justin's right hand signs in tandem with Giovanna's left:

``Tonight, tonight. The world is wild and bright.''

Very cool..........wish I was in Florida so I could come and see it!

ABC News
High School Puts Innovative Twist on Musical
South Plantation High School Students Produce 'West Side Story' in Sign Language
By JEFFREY KOFMAN

Plantation, Fla., Nov. 25, 2008—

It was showtime at South Plantation High School. Backstage, students squeezed into costumes, dabbed one another with makeup and warmed up their voices.

But this was no ordinary high school musical.

South Plantation's production of the Broadway musical 'West Side Story" had a special twist. The school is Broward County's main high school for deaf and hard-of-hearing students, so when auditions for the production were held in August, 120 students turned out for 50 coveted spots. Among them, a handful of deaf and hard-of-hearing students.

Drama teacher Jason Zembuch had done musicals with singers performing American Sign Language before, but he took a very different approach for "West Side Story."

"What's inherent in the script is that we have a clash of two cultures," Zembuch said. "The original production is a clash between the Puerto Ricans and the Americans. In this production, we have a clash of not only the Puerto Ricans and the Americans but also the deaf and the hearing."

Zembuch adapted the story: The Jets are hearing and most of the Sharks are deaf, including Maria. Initially, the love struck couple -- Maria and Tony -- can't communicate until Tony learns to sign.

There are actually two Maria's: the lead played by Giovanna Vazquez, 16, who is deaf, and her voice, played by Kellie Smith, 16.

Both appeared onstage at the same time in the same costumes. Zembuch artfully weaved the two Marias together with elaborate choreography. During the famous balcony scene, Tony visits Maria at her home and the two, seemingly interconnected Marias appear onstage; Giovanna in the balcony signing her words as Kellie looks on from the darkness below singing the familiar song.

"I want the audience to think that we are one person," said Giovanna, speaking through a sign language interpreter.

Giovanna is a high school junior who played the deaf Maria. "Because the two of us, as you see, we try to move the same," she said of the performance, which ended Sunday.

Kellie, a junior who sang and spoke Maria's lines, said, "I feel the same way. I feel like she is the actual Maria that everyone can see, but I'm like a facet of her personality. I'm there to support her, and I'm there to help her, and I'm just an inner-dimension of herself."

It was an ambitious interpretation, but it was remarkably effective.

Students Weave Signs Into Choreography

Giovanna performed without her hearing aid because the orchestra's music was too loud. The only sound she made during the production was her scream when her love, Tony, dies.

And deafness became part of the drama. Maria's brother Bernardo was played by Frank Gonzalez, 18, a senior who can hear. But drama teacher Zembuch thought it would work better dramatically if Bernardo were deaf, like his sister. So Gonzalez learned to sign his part while another Shark spoke his lines for him.

In one early scene, Rif, a Jet, and Bernardo, a Shark, were arguing. Rif grabbed Bernardo's hand, stopping him from signing and leaving the character voiceless. "Now that he's grabbed my hand," Gonzalez said. "He's basically put a hand over my mouth and not let me talk. He's basically cut off my communication. In return, after I shake him off, I tell my interpreter not to say anything. And I sign something myself."

It became a battle of communication.

The entire production was signed for deaf audience members but not in a conventional way. Hearing students, who acted as sign language interpreters, became part of the elaborate choreography. They had to learn their signing parts.

It was clear this production took enormous time and dedication. But is also took a lot of money: $43,000. None of it came from the school board, the county or the state, so the students had to raise every penny of it.

"When presented with an obstacle, you have two choices," Zembuch said. "You either allow it to stop you or you find a way around it and we at South [Plantation High] chose to not let it stop us. We try to teach our kids every single day you're going to hit many different road blocks, you're going to hit many different situations in which you're being told you can't accomplish things."

With candy sales, car washes, program sponsors and ticket sales, the money was raised. The cast -- hearing and deaf -- bonded.

"It's exposed me to open my mind more to the fact that everyone is different and you can't judge someone because they're deaf," Gonzalez said. "Because of this program, after high school, I'm planning to become an interpreter for sign language because I feel passionate about the language."

Zembuch said, "It's an examination of cultural differences between nationalities and ethnicities already. We just began to further explore cultural differences between the deaf and hard-of-hearing community and the hearing community."

By aiming high, this ambitious production found a way to add new meaning to a familiar, old story.

Copyright © 2008 ABC News Internet Ventures

Back