Deaf School vs. Mainstreaming..Pros and Cons?- Poston

Status
Not open for further replies.
This doesn't answer my question.

I'm sorry if you thought I had an NTID professor in which he wasn't anything remotely close to being such one.

I said I do have some errors. I haven't denied it flat out. Please don't put words in my mouth. :<

Sorry but you didn't deny that your professor was from NTID, therefore, it is a she, the very same professor your very own sister is taking now.

No, you have denied some of it. Typical, Jeff, typical. Guess you really aren't any different from these people who protested at Ms. Lampaneli's show, after all after having claimed you don't think like them.

Shel90, you should ignore much of RITCount's posts since he has done the same baseless posts on Deaf Summit. You can see for yourself with his user name "DeafBigBoss". Much of his posts are ridiculed by the other posters.

Now let's get back on topic. :)

And how is my posts baseless if you have not applied common sense to your posts? I have gotten responses about how your posts do not make sense from my friends both deaf and hearing.

Sorry but you didn't deny that your professor was from NTID, therefore, it is a she, the very same professor your very own sister is taking now.

I have no idea what you're talking about. :<
Are you talking about Professor Giobbi?

No, you have denied some of it. Typical, Jeff, typical. Guess you really aren't any different from these people who protested at Ms. Lampaneli's shows, after all after having claimed you don't think like them.

If you say so. :<

I don't know who that is.

Then you're not highly enlightened as I am. I would suggest you take that essay to a Professor everyone enjoys immensely such as Fleming or Kenneally. I trust you will hear a very different result from whoever your major assigned you to.

It's okay. It's an old essay from years ago. I write much better than that now.

And how does a show prove anything about MSD? Shows are not fairly accurate. If you want the real facts, don't base them on a show. Working at a deaf school does not make it look good. I could say I work at NTID or Galladuet but at the end of the day, I could say, "I hate working there because of (insert any common reason here.)" It's an unwritten fact that most people dislike their jobs they find themselves in.

Still waiting for u to show me where I said "MSD is better than other schools or MSD is a good school."

Mainstreamed schools is more mature. That's what I meant.

I dunno about that, maybe it should be that deaf in mainstreamed are more shy, and have low self esteem Which that can make a person seem like they are more mature, but in fact they are living in fear and trying to not to be noticed.

while deaf school are more positive and outspoken, don't you think?

Still waiting for u to show me where I said "MSD is better than other schools or MSD is a good school."

You implied it. "I saw the show at MSD, and I work there, therefore It is a better school."

You have failed to explain why a show and being employed at a deaf school makes it a better school. Sounds like you're just kissing up to your Superiors at MSD.

I dunno about that, maybe it should be that deaf in mainstreamed are more shy, and have low self esteem Which that can make a person seem like they are more mature, but in fact they are living in fear and trying to not to be noticed.

while deaf school are more positive and outspoken, don't you think?

More like deaf people who attend mainstreamed schools tend to keep to themselves instead of attracting attention like most deaf students from deaf schools often do.

Deaf School student: "Hey look at me!" *goes to make more trouble by arguing with someone else.*
Mainstreamed student: "Um okay, whatever you say." *Backs away.*

See the difference?

what i mean by restrictive is... OK.. let me paint a picture of the high school first...

It's in the middle of Downtown... there are stores, resturants, ect ect around the school... and during Lunch Breaks, students are allowed to leave the building to get lunch and whatever... However.. the deaf school that puts students in the public school.. has a strict policy that deaf students are NOT allowed to leave the building even for lunch. which is restrictive toward deaf students when hearing students have MORE freedom.

ALL deaf students must return to the deaf school at 2:30pm daily.. Which basically translates into.. they don't have time to have fun with other students... so basically deaf students are still restricted even if their parents give them permission to be unrestricted.

When I was a student at the school.. I had freedom to leave the school grounds for lunch or whatever.. whereas current deaf students are restricted?

Same here. I attended a mainstreaming HS years ago and had more freedom than Deaf kids at Deaf schools. When I was interned at a Deaf school somewhere and had noticed some students who live in dorms were more sheltered than Deaf students who live in homes nearby. It was shocked to me that they had not learned how to budget until they were in senior year or close to finish their HS. Also, I was shocked to learn that some regular fifth graders just learn basic multiplication and division. I learned them when I was a second grader. If they have Math LD, then it is different story. What's up with some Deaf schools? :eek3:

More like deaf people who attend mainstreamed schools tend to keep to themselves instead of attracting attention like most deaf students from deaf schools often do.

Deaf School student: "Hey look at me!" *goes to make more trouble by arguing with someone else.*

See the difference?

What makes them act differently among deaf students and hearing students?

Same here. I attended a mainstreaming HS years ago and had more freedom than Deaf kids at Deaf schools. When I was interned at a Deaf school somewhere and had noticed some students who live in dorms were more sheltered than Deaf students who live in homes nearby. It was shocked to me that they had not learned how to budget until they were in senior year or close to finish their HS. Also, I was shocked to learn that some regular fifth graders just learn basic multiplication and division. I learned them when I was a second grader. If they have Math LD, then it is different story. What's up with some Deaf schools? :eek3:

I don't know about the dorms and be sheltered .

However I do know this..many of the students who start at deaf schools whether they r pre" age or older have little or no language so they have to start at square 1 in acquiring a strong language foundation at the age when they shud be learning how to read and write. That's what many deaf schools do..make sure that the kids have a language level that is strong enough to be able to learn all the concepts taught in all subject areas. Is a 2 year old ready to learn multiplication tables? Nope..that's usually the language level many of the student r at whether they r 4, 5, 6 or older. Now, what's up with that?

Ok supposed we teach all of the kids the concepts taught at their age levels and if they are just learning ASL because they couldn't pick up on spoken language..how do u teach them basic addition and subtration facts if they don't know the concept of numbers. Have to start from the bottom and build up from there. Would rather do that instead of leaving several gaps and by the time they reach high school, they don't have the the building blocks for the complex algebra concepts or whatever.

See the difference?

that's generalizing students based on how they were raised.. I know some deaf people who grew up in deaf schools who are Like your example of mainstreamed students. I grew up mainstreamed so yeah, I'm reserved and tend to keep to myself.. And I know quiet a few deaf people that grew up in deaf schools who are outspoken. I also know deaf people who grew up in Mainstreamed schools who are outspoken. So you can't clump people together based on the schools they went to. I think it really depends on the deaf student's personality.

BearBeauty, don't bother. RITCount is famous for many of his controversial and illogical posts. Sometimes I wonder if he's actually doing it on purpose to make us all seem like asshats.

that's generalizing students based on how they were raised.. I know some deaf people who grew up in deaf schools who are Like your example of mainstreamed students. I grew up mainstreamed so yeah, I'm reserved and tend to keep to myself.. And I know quiet a few deaf people that grew up in deaf schools who are outspoken. I also know deaf people who grew up in Mainstreamed schools who are outspoken. So you can't clump people together based on the schools they went to. I think it really depends on the deaf student's personality.

How is it generalizing if I said "most?" Do not misread me.

BearBeauty, don't bother. RITCount is famous for many of his controversial and illogical posts. Sometimes I wonder if he's actually doing it on purpose to make us all seem like asshats.

This screams, "I, Yiffzer want attention!"

And how exactly am I famous if you have read my posts from only ONE forum? I doubt one forum on the internet would make me famous if 350 billion people in the world would need to register to read a forum not like alldeaf?

And you claim I'm illogical...This from the guy who makes posts that lack common sense all of the time. I'd like to see you explain how is my post illogical? Are you a Vulcan? ;) Sorry, couldn't resist that little joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back