Deaf Rights for an interpreter for "club meetings?"

J9

Reaction score
Hello ~ I posted this on my facebook page too but wanted to post on here to get more feedback.

If a Deaf person joins a club of interest (for example, a group of Moms, group of Moms who home-school, Moms of Multiples, etc.) and the Deaf person has to pay a yearly membership due... is this Deaf person entitled to have an interpreter since the group is all hearing? This group has national ranking but have local "chapters." Any terps/Deaf ppl know the law regarding this?

ADA don't cover clubs

J9 ... hate to say this, but, any club is not entitled to provides individual with disablitiy to have access to the club.

This is only educational information. Consults with attorney for legal advice.

According to 42 United States Code Section 12187 stated:

"[Title III of ADA (public accommodations and services)] shall not apply to private clubs ..."

So, do what you gotta do to get around...

Smile

this is bullshit aye, well i saying i disagree, and not surprised at all, it is all about 'institutional control' of deaf people, not about full access in whatever there is in society. I think it should include deaf people's access to the community to the fullest extend. But sadly it is not the case, even here in NZ is crock, i was extremely lucky that 10 years ago I had an oppurtunity to attend night classes for philosophy/meditation with an interpreter alongside. It was wonderful, really emanicipating, and sure did let me bond with other hearing people seeking the same interests of pursuit of peace and spiritual well-being, but I'd highly doubt I'd ever have this sort of chance again. It was partially due to the clout of one interpreter-turned service co-ordinator who whom was my freind, this sort of occurance wasn't really of favourism, it was more to do that she was able render interpreter services more flexible, and probably due to the 'working relationship' between her and the manager whose also had a good rapport with me. I just knew it that ADA has its limits, and this is one of it, so I hope in future -sooner better than later -because with people getting too comfortable with the current setup will make it alot harder to argue for change, that is the change to widen the areas of recognition which deem to reflect d/Deaf people's well being as a whole as does to the extension of inclusiveness has to come from the disability-political perspective - unfortunately. However this is just my take on it.

Hmmm

I'm going to play devil's advocate here.

Should the government force private social clubs to provide interpreters for their meetings? If yes, then:

1. the club would pay the terp out of their dues (if the club collects dues) even if that emptied out their treasury

or

2. the club would take up a voluntary collection from the members just to pay the terp

or

3. the deaf member would pay the terp

or

4. the terp should volunteer the services and not expect to be paid

:hmm:

Just asking for some feedback.

1. the club would pay the terp out of their dues (if the club collects dues) even if that emptied out their treasury

Only if it is outlined as part of their club mandate. I know of a few clubs and companies that pay for interpreters, but that is because they are targeting a Deaf audience. Otherwise their workers or club members can choose if they want to continue their memberships if they think it is a good idea or not.

or

2. the club would take up a voluntary collection from the members just to pay the terp

This one I agree with. At least it is the people's choice of doing so or not.

or

Isn't that the way it is always done? Pay out of their pockets, and if there are more than one deaf clients, they share the cost? At least that's how we do it up here in Canada.

or

Again, isn't considered as pro bono? I know a few interpreters that volunteer their services for churches and deaf meetings because they want to give back to the community. So don't they already do that? The only difference is that they make the choice of where and when their pro bono will be?

Anyway, I am all for personal choices and democracy. ;)

Realize this is an old thread but happened to see it (while looking for other info) as I am dealing with the same issue right now. I'm attending a MeetUp tonight and had asked about interpreters. They can't because it is a "volunteer"/private group and have no budget to speak of anyway. One of the co-hosts of the group is asking around though...

Reba said:
Only if it is outlined as part of their club mandate. I know of a few clubs and companies that pay for interpreters, but that is because they are targeting a Deaf audience. Otherwise their workers or club members can choose if they want to continue their memberships if they think it is a good idea or not.
Yep and most clubs/groups may be too small to have such a budget-- or any budget for that matter like the one I'm a member of.

souggy said:
Reba said:
or

This one I agree with. At least it is the people's choice of doing so or not.
Maybe if the members have known each other for a long time or it's a long standing group. Not seeing this happen for my situation.

souggy said:
Reba said:
or

Isn't that the way it is always done? Pay out of their pockets, and if there are more than one deaf clients, they share the cost? At least that's how we do it up here in Canada.

Maybe.. but the cost of freelance interpreter is kind of steep.. and for my situation- it is an evening event (2ish hours long) plus.. well.. I'm flat broke as it is lol.

souggy said:
Reba said:
or

Again, isn't considered as pro bono? I know a few interpreters that volunteer their services for churches and deaf meetings because they want to give back to the community. So don't they already do that? The only difference is that they make the choice of where and when their pro bono will be?
Not always 'pro bono'. There could be cases of interpreting students wanting the practice or maybe apply it to their course credit or something. The co-host said she knew someone who might know of people that fit this category.

We'll see. I don't know if a voice to text app or program would even help for a lecture/speaker presentation or not. Someone brought up CART- that I'll look into but it may be along the same lines as hiring interpreters. I also sent a question to my VR to see if he has any ideas.

Back