deaf related jobs

BabyPhat21

Reaction score
well I have noticed a pattern that deaf people do get jobs relating to deafness, which of course makes sense but I was wondering how many of us here have deaf related majors or jobs???

Right now I am majoring in Voc. Rehab. at CSUS

Pattern? What kind of pattern? I've never noticed a pattern like what you stated. A lot of my friends have real jobs with hearing people with no relation to deafness.

I have a few friends who work in jobs that aren't even related to deafness at all.

VamPyroX said:
A lot of my friends have real jobs with hearing people with no relation to deafness.

Uh, working or studying in a field related to deafness is not a "real" job?

got some freinds too working on other feilds not just deaf related i have abt 3 poeple working in deaf related jobs and rest in hearing world jobs, So it really doesn't matter and i don't see what patterns there are, its just cuz they chose that feild thats all that matters!

I know there is nothing bad about it.....silly......I was wondering if you guys have any deaf related jobs or majors why cause maybe we can form a connection and help each other............. :)

I would like to connect with the other Voc. Rehab majors also!!!

Well, I happen to work for Hear-More, a company that offer products for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. My boss happens to be profoundly Deaf and I find it easy to communicate to him. He actually found me by accident and offered me a web design position which I accepted.

Working at Hear-More is good experience, and the people there treat you like a person and not a number like most big companies do. If you ever happen to stop by to purchase something, ask for me and I'll be glad to help you. :)

Alex said:
Well, I happen to work for Hear-More, a company that offer products for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. My boss happens to be profoundly Deaf and I find it easy to communicate to him. He actually found me by accident and offered me a web design position which I accepted.

Working at Hear-More is good experience, and the people there treat you like a person and not a number like most big companies do. If you ever happen to stop by to purchase something, ask for me and I'll be glad to help you. :)

about same as you.

I graduated from Gally. I ve noticed a lot of my friends who works that are relating with deafness or deaf issues such as ASL teacher, deaf school or deaf counselor. That's true.

I work with SSA but they all are hearing. I do talk with deaf claimants though.

I think the pattern might be one way... many deaf-oriented jobs are filled by deaf ppl, because they're more likely to meet requirements like knowing sign, etc. I don't know if that has a direct relation to percentage of deaf ppl having certain kinds of jobs?

Yes, this isn't just limited to deaf-Deaf people...I've noticed that there seem to be a lot of hard core AG Bellers who go into jobs like Auditory Verbal therapist, audilogist, speech therapist, and oral deaf teacher.

deafdyke said:
Yes, this isn't just limited to deaf-Deaf people...I've noticed that there seem to be a lot of hard core AG Bellers who go into jobs like Auditory Verbal therapist, audilogist, speech therapist, and oral deaf teacher.

True Remember deaf people have experiences and have more knowledges that can related with the job kwim??

I'm taking scuba classes.. and become scuba teacher.. to teach deaf partipants and hearing as well...

Relay Services are hot right now -- hiring tons of manager-level and director level deaf people to work with the public, government, and other businesses. Interaction with deaf and hearing is HIGH.

<--- Proudly uses California Relay Service -- staffed by deaf representatives from all over the country.

im studying to be a computer tech, working to get cisco certified and A+ certified

u could say i am the anti-deaf deaf guy, its not that i have anythjing against being deaf, but i dont know sign language at all, i nknow the alphabet and some words but thats it

i dont have a single deaf friend all mine are hearing, im the only person in my family that is deaf

wierd huh

some of my friend who work in deaf school and was former work with Deaf Assication in long time. I wish I can work with deafness related but not many hiring for that.

Back