Deaf Psychosis?

VamPyroX

bloody phreak from hell
Reaction score
I remember netrox bringing up the subject of "religious psychosis" and after seeing Law & Order: Criminal Intent, I thought about something different...

Deaf Psychosis

What do I mean by that? Well, like netrox mentioned in his thread...
Psychosis means, "loss of contact with reality."

Psychotic people can be highly intelligent and even know that they're not "normal" but they're so convinced they're right.

So, what about deaf people? There are deaf people out there who take so much pride in their culture that they are willing to do anything to emphasize that.

There are a lot of things in the past... such as the Gallaudet protests where they claim she's "not deaf enough" (we know the real reason), such as the protest at RIT for the Lisa Lampanelli show, the protests and the murder on the Law & Order: Criminal Intent - The Silencer show, etc...

There are some things in Deaf Culture that some may consider to be too extreme. For instance, one guy here at NTID told a girl that he refused to date her and that dating her was not allowed since she had hearing parents. One girl at NTID told everyone that deaf people, who come from hearing parents, don't really know what it's like to be deaf.

Who's to say if these things are really what reality is?

Those damn extremists. Islam isn't the threat. Deafism is the threat. Ahh, help us all.

oh sheesh i am from hearing family
but i was deaf ENOUGH!!!!!!! to know that i am deaf not hearing i don't go and pretend to be hearing

i know the reality of being deaf

oh sheesh i am from hearing family
but i was deaf ENOUGH!!!!!!! to know that i am deaf not hearing i don't go and pretend to be hearing

i know the reality of being deaf
Exactly!

That's what Noella from the Lisa Lampanelli protest at RIT said. Sheesh!

you mean deafness really do exist????

Hearing people hear too much voices. They need to be evaluate.

After I posted the letter to Noella, she took the liberty to PM me:

thanikeprincess

dudee....
soooo chammmmp!! your post is D E L E T E D!
seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee u later!

Typical "D"eafie.

So, for her sake, I'll post it again:

Noella Kolash,

You are a true deaftard. The very fact of you beginning this ridiculous cult-like movement proves your status as a deaftard. Lisa Lampanelli made fun of deaf people and instead of you not heeding her words, you instead did. You acted upon your stupidity and ignorance to prove her right. If only you knew of Lisa Lampanelli from the start, you'd understand who she is. She actually respects every being, black, gay, or deaf but mocks them for the stereotypes they often reinforce. Also, I hope you realize that you are to us, the more informed deaf people, a deaf militant. You are equivalent to those Islamic extremists that rage around to support their pathetic agenda. Good job making yourself look like an asshat. By the way, I hear your father called another person, "ugly". Whatever was the justification for that? It is not a surprise that President Simone had to dismiss out your case, so to speak. Like father, like daughter.

Be well,
Yiffzer.

After I posted the letter to Noella, she took the liberty to PM me:

thanikeprincess

dudee....
soooo chammmmp!! your post is D E L E T E D!
seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee u later!

Typical "D"eafie.

So, for her sake, I'll post it again:

Noella Kolash,

You are a true deaftard. The very fact of you beginning this ridiculous cult-like movement proves your status as a deaftard. Lisa Lampanelli made fun of deaf people and instead of you not heeding her words, you instead did. You acted upon your stupidity and ignorance to prove her right. If only you knew of Lisa Lampanelli from the start, you'd understand who she is. She actually respects every being, black, gay, or deaf but mocks them for the stereotypes they often reinforce. Also, I hope you realize that you are to us, the more informed deaf people, a deaf militant. You are equivalent to those Islamic extremists that rage around to support their pathetic agenda. Good job making yourself look like an asshat. By the way, I hear your father called another person, "ugly". Whatever was the justification for that? It is not a surprise that President Simone had to dismiss out your case, so to speak. Like father, like daughter.

Be well,
Yiffzer.

That's interesting. I wonder what Incoming President William Desler will think of Noella when he sees her imposing Deaf extremism on him and his staff in the fall. At least the Deaf extremists don't use explosives to get their point across.

And Deaftards like Noella is exactly why we are not often received with a warm welcome by the hearing people in the real world.

Those damn extremists. Islam isn't the threat. Deafism is the threat. Ahh, help us all.

Yeah, but what about radical Deaf Islamic jihadists? We REALLY need to watch out for those fuckers… :Ohno:

But we all can agree that Noella's views on hearing people is misguided, right?
If hearing people are misguided, then we need to guide them... not sit around accusing them of being ignorant.

I'm doing a thesis paper on communication with deafness in the workplace. One issue that is often brought up is that a lot of deaf people quickly "assault" their employers or various businesses when specific accommodations are not provided. However, the real issue is that accommodations vary on the individual, position, and location. That's why we (as deaf and hard of hearing people) should communicate properly and guide them to helping us better.

What gives? Sure, I'm proud to be deaf and I'm happy for the way I am. Does it mean that I'd have to go out and say everyone is not deaf enough? NO. Whether we have cochlear implant or are born to hearing parents doesn't mean that we are excluded because we are still deaf. We all will still be deaf, no matter what.

As for those extremists, They need to realize that things cannot go their way or other. It's like they want their "own" way and it's not going to work. Sure, I understand their frustration by not getting their needs or accommodations met but it doesn't mean that they have to go out there and say "Hey, You're not deaf enough because you were born to a hearing parent" or whatever it is. It is all about trying to tweak the approach and the attitude in order to present the issue in a better way. With that, It would help and stretch this in a long way for the hearing folks to understand/and or to be educated about this.

If hearing people are misguided, then we need to guide them... not sit around accusing them of being ignorant.

I'm doing a thesis paper on communication with deafness in the workplace. One issue that is often brought up is that a lot of deaf people quickly "assault" their employers or various businesses when specific accommodations are not provided. However, the real issue is that accommodations vary on the individual, position, and location. That's why we (as deaf and hard of hearing people) should communicate properly and guide them to helping us better.

No, I just think Noella's views are misguided. Hearing people, however varies on where they live.

Keep in mind that sometimes hearing people are too stubborn to adapt to working with the Deaf. I have experienced this. I worked at a local Wegmans in Syracuse for a short time. They refused to accommodate me, even going so far to refuse to provide an interpreter. I also applied at a local weekly newspaper company in Syracuse for a Graphic Designer position. They refused to hire me because I couldn't hear on the phone, they claimed. :ugh3:

Ignorance is a common thread in every ethnicity, every culture, every language, ever country... EVERYTHING. Even well educated deaf/Deaf people are capable of being completely ignorant ... to say that one deaf who comes from hearing parents doesn't know what it's like to be truly be deaf is ignorance and not psychosis, it may also be pride (pride comes before a fall, remember) though I'm sure there are cases of Deaf psychosis... there are bound to be extremists in every facet of life.

No, I just think Noella's views are misguided. Hearing people, however varies on where they live.

Keep in mind that sometimes hearing people are too stubborn to adapt to working with the Deaf. I have experienced this. I worked at a local Wegmans in Syracuse for a short time. They refused to accommodate me, even going so far to refuse to provide an interpreter. I also applied at a local weekly newspaper company in Syracuse for a Graphic Designer position. They refused to hire me because I couldn't hear on the phone, they claimed. :ugh3:
Yes, sometimes they are stubborn.

I'm referring to times when it could be done by guiding them.

For instance, I've heard of deaf people getting all pissy about their employers not providing them accommodations. So, I'd ask them... "Did you tell them what you need?" Their response is usually, "What the hell for? It's their job to know what accommodations to provide me! Sheesh!"

Other times, there will be deaf people who are in line at a local fast food restaurant. When they approach the counter, they start signing their orders to the cashier. However, the cashier can't understand a word they're saying and the deaf customer refuses to use the picture menu or the pen-&-paper method. Yet, the deaf customers get frustrated because the cashier can't understand them. The only way a compromise can be done is if there's another customer who can interpret (which often ends up being me since I'm the one standing there watching the 'show').

The world doesn't revolve around deaf people. The world doesn't revolve around ANYONE.

:gpost:

Personally, I think there are many different Psychosis in this world.

I mean.. everyone has a case they believe strongly in,. It doesn't mean we have to egg them on.. In the end.. they will either continue to believe it or change their mind... it's up to them, not us..

just my 2 cents.

Back