Deaf President Now!!

Cramer

Reaction score
First Gallaudet, then the nation!

Hey I'm writing a paper about the DPN protests at Gallaudet back in '88 and I need to interview someone who was alive during that time and record their reaction to those events.

Would anyone be willing to spare a few minutes and answer some questions for me please??

-Cramer

Hey I'm writing a paper about the DPN protests at Gallaudet back in '88 and I need to interview someone who was alive during that time and record their reaction to those events.

Would anyone be willing to spare a few minutes and answer some questions for me please??

-Cramer

I doubt many of us are still alive today to talk about it......

-Cramer

Oh, gosh..I was in elementary school when that happened so I don't remember too much. I had several high school deaf teachers who was involved in that protest. They talked about move buses in the front of entrances of Gallaudet campus then slash the bus tires, etc..

I am getting off the point here--I'll never forget one deaf teacher. She has large DPN poster in her classroom. Anyway that deaf teacher came from a large deaf family and while she has such "Deaf Can Do!" attitude she turned the cheek when she asked me and my classmates what we wanted to do for living.

Each time my classmates gave the answer like "social worker, counselor, teacher" she praises them. When it was my turn to give my answer. I gave different answers, I had and still do have big dreams. That teacher kept telling me "No, you can't..What else do you have on your mind?" I gave another answer, then another.

Each time she say "no you can't", then she said to me "Why don't you become teacher and teach the next generation to break the barrier!?"

Any wonder why deaf didn't really break the barrier too much, and repeat vicious cycle by peaches to each other, "no, you can't".

By the way, no I never became teacher. I am still trying and hope to prove her wrong.

I remember her saying she always wanted to go into business, and wasn't happy with teaching. Last I heard, she still teaches at the same school, 20 years and counting. :laugh2:

Oh, gosh..I was in elementary school when that happened so I don't remember too much. I had several high school deaf teachers who was involved in that protest. They talked about move buses in the front of entrances of Gallaudet campus then slash the bus tires, etc..

I am getting off the point here--I'll never forget one deaf teacher. She has large DPN poster in her classroom. Anyway that deaf teacher came from a large deaf family and while she has such "Deaf Can Do!" attitude she turned the cheek when she asked me and my classmates what we wanted to do for living.

Each time my classmates gave the answer like "social worker, counselor, teacher" she praises them. When it was my turn to give my answer. I gave different answers, I had and still do have big dreams. That teacher kept telling me "No, you can't..What else do you have on your mind?" I gave another answer, then another.

Each time she say "no you can't", then she said to me "Why don't you become teacher and teach the next generation to break the barrier!?"

Any wonder why deaf didn't really break the barrier too much, and repeat vicious cycle by peaches to each other, "no, you can't".

By the way, no I never became teacher. I am still trying and hope to prove her wrong.

I remember her saying she always wanted to go into business, and wasn't happy with teaching. Last I heard, she still teaches at the same school, 20 years and counting. :laugh2:
"With God, anything is possible"

DPN Reaction?

Wow thats crazy.

What was the attitude of the deaf community outside of D.C. while DPN was going on??

What were everyone's expectations during that historic week?

Wow thats crazy.

What was the attitude of the deaf community outside of D.C. while DPN was going on??

What were everyone's expectations during that historic week?

Sorry, this is not the first time about asking us some questions.

my friends were there at DPN, not me. My friends are too busy being parents, working, taking care of kids. have you check the DPN book?

I was in college and remember it well...although I was never caught up in it. I always thought a person should be juged by their merits and what they could do....

Laura

Laura- you have the vantage point im looking for.
If you're willing to spare the time I just have a few questions to ask. If you're willing, my email is tcoyle1@kent.edu
thanks.

I doubt many of us are still alive today to talk about it......

I know, right? :lol: The "I need to interview someone who was alive during that time" made me feel like it must've happened during the Lincoln era or something. As it were, I was 18 during DPN.

Someone was asking the exact same questions about DPN a few weeks ago...

Either the two of you are in the exact same class, or you've created multiple user profiles (which aren't allowed).

I know, right? :lol: The "I need to interview someone who was alive during that time" made me feel like it must've happened during the Lincoln era or something. As it were, I was 18 during DPN.

NO WAY! That's like a billion years ago! :shock:

-Cramer

Sure, PM me. I was one of the protestors and students at the time. :)

If you're willing to spare the time I just have a few questions to ask. If you're willing, my email is tcoyle1@kent.edu
thanks.

I'm usually on and off the Internet a lot. Drop me a PM and I'll gladly answer your questions as best I can.

Laura

I was in college that time (not Gallaudet, mainstream local college) and I remember I didn't give any shit about what happened over there. lol

I was in college and remember it well...although I was never caught up in it. I always thought a person should be juged by their merits and what they could do....

Laura

thanks.

I'm usually on and off the Internet a lot. Drop me a PM and I'll gladly answer your questions as best I can.

Laura

Cramer, didn't you mean someone who was actually at Gallaudet at the time?

Of your volunteers, that would be Royale that you want.

Back