Deaf pill sounds a good idea

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Deaf pill sounds a good idea | The Daily Telegraph

SCIENTISTS have formulated a pill that could prevent or even reverse hearing loss that has been caused by loud noise.

Clinical trials are about to start in the US but early research suggests it can reverse the damage up to three days after it occurs.

It has been estimated that 15 per cent of those between the ages of 20 and 60 have hearing loss caused by personal stereos, rock concerts or factory machinery.

The damage can be caused by a single exposure to a very loud noise but more often is caused by exposure to noise over time.

This affects the ear's delicate hair cells that convert sound into electrical signals, which then travel to the brain. Once they are damaged, the hair cells cannot grow back, reducing hearing.

The pill is based on the idea these vibrations cause the release of destructive molecules called free radicals into the bloodstream.

Researchers had thought that antioxidants might prevent hearing loss only if the antioxidants were given before noise exposure.

However, research at Michigan University has shown that when the antioxidants were given up to three days after noise exposure any hearing loss was significantly reduced. However, if treatment was delayed until five days, it was not effective.

If only scientists could come up with a pill that would reverse deafness after so many years .. but I don't see that happening! :)

Isn't it better to invest in ads on television or work to communicate to consumers how to protect their hearing than on some pills? The cure is to educate people to stop being careless when it comes to noise. How about a small ad after every electronic noise producing advertising to take care of their ears just like those on cigarette boxes?

I have been to a wedding where the music was so loud. People complained. I know a lady who said she's had tinnitus problems because she sat next to where the music was coming out from. People don't understand that they need to get out of the noise area as soon as they notice the issue. I hear that this country is where hearing loss is more prevalent due to noise. Some people are ignorant when placing PA or boomboxes where people are.

Oh, great. I can just see people asking me why I can't take a pill and get my hearing back.

Interesting!

So they have to take the pill before they are expose to loud noises?

I can see the future concerts, selling such pills at the door way.

Isn't it better to invest in ads on television or work to communicate to consumers how to protect their hearing than on some pills? The cure is to educate people to stop being careless when it comes to noise. How about a small ad after every electronic noise producing advertising to take care of their ears just like those on cigarette boxes?

I have been to a wedding where the music was so loud. People complained. I know a lady who said she's had tinnitus problems because she sat next to where the music was coming out from. People don't understand that they need to get out of the noise area as soon as they notice the issue. I hear that this country is where hearing loss is more prevalent due to noise. Some people are ignorant when placing PA or boomboxes where people are.

Last night, I went to a club and the music was so loud, it even made my ears ring. When the club closed, many hearing people were rubbing their ears and I could catch some bits and bits of conversations about how the music hurted their ears. I guess when people are drunk or drinking, they dont care.

I wonder if my ears ring, does that mean I am losing what's left of my hearing despite my profound hearing loss? :hmm:

Oh, great. I can just see people asking me why I can't take a pill and get my hearing back.

Oh god..I dont need that! I already have people telling me I should get a CI to fix my deafness. :roll:

I wonder if my ears ring, does that mean I am losing what's left of my hearing despite my profound hearing loss? :hmm:

that would be a good question to ask an ent. this is only a guess on my part, but it could signal further hearing loss if you've never experienced tinnitus before. if it's not a new experience for you, then you may not have anything to worry about. even people who are completely deaf have tinnitus. i know i certainly did (and still do) following both of my ci surgeries and the total loss of my residual hearing.

i can't say that i like the news of this. being able to take a pill to cure deafness will only exacerbate the problems deaf/hoh people experience (who cannot be helped by this pill due to other causes of deafness/hearing loss) and will only serve to encourage concert goers as well as those who listen to ipods to enjoy music at a loud volume.

huh? lol...

A new kind of morning after pill? :hmm: I personally have little sympathy for people who don't protect their hearing when they know all too well the consequences. I even want to beat people to a pulp when they take young children into these situations.

I wasn't born deaf, but genetics took care of that for me a bit later on. So I do know how precious hearing is.

Scientists need to put more money into an idiot pill, that makes more sense to me.

I honestly don't think that is why it was developed, though I did think of the "morning after" pill at the start. I think it was for those that lose hearing due to a bomb blast or people in combat with gunfire, etc. You can't blame them for for losing their hearing if the noise is sudden and unexpected. But, for those that insist on listening to music blast away or just have to get in to the latest night club, I have no pity for them at all.

Oh god..I dont need that! I already have people telling me I should get a CI to fix my deafness. :roll:

Me either. I work for hi-priced customers everyday, and most of the time they offered me a free ci through donation, which I usually declined their offer. :roll:

Me either. I work for hi-priced customers everyday, and most of the time they offered me a free ci through donation, which I usually declined their offer. :roll:

How do these high-priced customers, as you say, know about the cochlear implant?

They could work in technology, or if they're high-priced probably generally well informed about stuff. I'd put up a sign that says "Please do not offer me a CI. I am fine being deaf" and then chat everybody up about it as if they were the one person in a thousand that didn't think of offering.

:giggle: lol. Yeah that kind of happens to me too. But I have a HA and a CI anyways.

I don't think that the Pill would work on deaf people. Like with people who have very little hearing might work. But something like that is always possible isn't it??

Most of these research was done by the Navy to reduce effects of loud noise exposure on ships. I read about this two years ago and the military was looking at this very closely as a means to reduce future medical expenses and to maximize hearing for soldiers on the battlefield. The "pill" has to be taken within three days of the loud exposure otherwise the hearing loss can be permanent. This "pill" has no effect on those that already have a hearing loss.

Back