Deaf people stuck in elevators?

Coff33

Reaction score
hello

my gf is currently studying ASLAN (Australian sign lanaguage) and they need to find out what a deaf person would do if stuck in an elevator? iv done a bit of searching on google but come up empty handed. if some one can help her out that be great :fingersx:

Cheers

James

Hell! I would do everything possible: scream, bang on the floor and walls, cry. Anyway, there is usually an alarm in the elevator. Push it, pull it, do whatever you can to get it to work. If it doesn't work, go back to my first suggestion.

Happened to me last week. It was on an elevator in the Washington Metro system. I pushed the intercom, since I have a good voice, but I cannot hear the response. I kept trying all of the buttons, but nothing happened. I turned my head and noticed that the elevator had doors behind me, and they were opening and closing. When I realized how stupid I was, I pressed the intercom and said, "Sorry, it's open now!" and then hopped on the train.

oh my god.. it happen to me before. I had my son w/ me, he was only alike 9 mos old, went to see doctor. a hearing lady w/ me, with a little girl in elevators. Somehow it stuck, won't move down, hearing lady got panic, i said push the button "emergency" and answer phone, she won't. I said better do it, she finally do it, but phone wasn't working. I start panic cuz (not sure how long been stuck in elevator, since, rid out of bottle, if have to is breastfeed, but that time i use formula.) So, finally phone was rang, and told her.. will work on it. So, we been wait about 25 mins, finally go "up" but we want go down. so finally the door opened, i just left with my son, and use the stairs, cuz not want be stuck again!. I was so panic LOL. But hearing girl w/ little girl followed my ass. LOL

I've never got stuck in an elevator before, but if I do, then I hope a hearing person is there with me, so she/he could use the phone to call for help, but if the phone doesn't work, then I'll press the alarm, might do whatever it takes to get some help I guess yet at the same time I'll be scared and not knowing if someone is on the way or if anyone is aware that the elevator is actually stuck!!..

*ahem* I have not experience like this before...
Happending stuck in the elevators... Noth'n happend for me.. If suppose I'm in stuck.. I would end up *hysterically* who knows.. I don't know what am I doing but scary shit out of it. Sorry My swearing.. *forgive me* but honestly very freaking! Hell yes!

*knock the wood desk* I'm feel better now..

Espically, I've seen the news and movie.. Made me feel creepy and wonder how can I image like this and stuck in the elevator.. Oh please.. I hate it say that but... would be repeat what I've said..

*goosebumps*

It hasn't happened to me either....

I would come to think that the majority of deaf people have sidekick or cell phones, they would use their cell to call for help. Like most of the post here.. There's an emergency button that we can push, but like if the intercom speaks, how do we know? So, my thought is the cell phone or sidekick would come in handy. If no cell phone or sidekick, then find a way.

I totally forgot all about my sidekick II...Great suggestion there Rebelgirl!! ;)

RebelGirl said:
It hasn't happened to me either....

I would come to think that the majority of deaf people have sidekick or cell phones, they would use their cell to call for help. Like most of the post here.. There's an emergency button that we can push, but like if the intercom speaks, how do we know? So, my thought is the cell phone or sidekick would come in handy. If no cell phone or sidekick, then find a way.

I can only imagine what it would be like to relay a call like that. :crazy:

On secondary note, don't be so quick to depend on your wireless communication devices. Signal strength is greatly reduced, if not non-existant in elevators, so I'm sure it'd be damn near impossible to try and send a text message or connect to relay.

cental34 said:
I can only imagine what it would be like to relay a call like that. :crazy:

On secondary note, don't be so quick to depend on your wireless communication devices. Signal strength is greatly reduced, if not non-existant in elevators, so I'm sure it'd be damn near impossible to try and send a text message or connect to relay.

that would be your job, won't it?? :giggle: That would keep you excited!

There are ways if there's no signal on the cell...

RebelGirl said:
that would be your job, won't it?? :giggle: That would keep you excited!

I'd probably hit the mute key and laugh if it happened to be an AD'er. :giggle:

There are ways if there's no signal on the cell...

How!? Bang morse code on against the wall?

*sigh* I don't have any atternative emergency kit as sidekick or blackberry...
My hubby doesn't want it at all.. I respect him.... My friend did warned my hubby in case if emergency... 110% but he is hard-headed as rock! One day, I'll sneak and get it one but have to get a job first... which my own $ not his!

*praying God, Let me find nice job soon* Still hunting a job but mostly discrimation in my homearea.. *mumbling* Patience...

cental34 said:
I'd probably hit the mute key and laugh if it happened to be an AD'er. :giggle:

How!? Bang morse code on against the wall?

Well, yeah, something like that. Someone is gonna eventually know that the elevator isn't working and they'd probably hear someone screaming or banging inside.. and get help....

It has never happened to me before being stuck in an elevator, If it does happen I would just stay calm and press the emergency button and tell them I'm deaf and the elevator is stuck or stopped (not moving). :thumb:

I don't think sidekicks would work in the elevator, Would that be hard to search for singles while being in the elevator? I wouldn't know because I don't have a sidekick but it's almost the same like celluar phones. :D

cental34 said:
Oh. come on. Its not like you would ever know. :giggle:

U already admit you would if it does happen to one of the ADers....

Look like Cental got :Owned: ...

:nana:

^Angel^ said:
U already admit you would if it does happen to one of the ADers....

Look like Cental got :Owned: ...

:nana:

No. I said probably. But how would you know 1. I'm the RO or 2. I actually acted on it? Uh oh. Looks like ^Angel^ got :Owned:

cental34 said:
No. I said probably. But how would you know 1. I'm the RO or 2. I actually acted on it? Uh oh. Looks like ^Angel^ got :Owned:

:pissed: Darn it!...I hate it when men are smarter than women... :o

Back