Deaf people getting a GED

kokonut

Reaction score
Has anyone ever gotten a GED? Has delaying your diploma caused more problems? Has it led to higher education or other training opportunities?

I had about 30 students of mine who ended up getting GEDs...I taught two courses of it a few years ago. Most of them were able to use it to get into training programs with support from the vocational rehab' services. A couple of them started job training right away and landed good jobs, that paid better than my job! And a few just got it and then went right back to glorifying couch potatoes. :(

GED's are the same as a diploma from a high school and you can not be denied employment for having one as opposed to a diploma from a high school Also a GED can actually make it easier to get into a collage - most collages consider those with GED's adult learners thus exempt from takeing the SAT's ( they are a bit of a joke anyway).

I used to have a good friend who dropped out of high school in her Junior year 10 years ago. She was taking GED at LaGuardia Community College earlier last year, when I came by at her place in Staten Island for sleepover and she got me on nerves by begging me for help with her English class homework. You know, with any subject report it has required to write the essay in 3 steps: Introduction, Paragraph 1,2,3, and Conclusion. She didn't understand or know how to start writing all three steps. I had to explain to her about these instruction and told her to open her mind, brainstorm in her own thoughts, use the facts and her personal perspective on the subject (Abortation for example.) I didn't understand why didn't she ask her professor at her community college to help explaining to her how to write the simple essays. Neither did she ask for help from the tutor after class which I suggested her to. She had pressured me to explain over and over again but I asked her to sign her own thoughts and her views on the subject in ASL, then I told her "see, then put it your words in the paragraph what you said" She did so but stopped after just 2 sentences...struggled to write anymore. I was really tired and wanted to sleep, but she won't let me unless she finishes her homework the night before her class. She had me so frustated, it made me give in and went ahead writing the whole essays in 3 paragraphs on my own, and then she would shut up so I could get sleep. However, she never thanked me for my help. A couple months later, she dropped out of GED class. *shrugs*

I used to have a good friend who dropped out of high school in her Junior year 10 years ago. She was taking GED at LaGuardia Community College earlier last year, when I came by at her place in Staten Island for sleepover and she got me on nerves by begging me for help with her English class homework. You know, with any subject report it has required to write the essay in 3 steps: Introduction, Paragraph 1,2,3, and Conclusion. She didn't understand or know how to start writing all three steps. I had to explain to her about these instruction and told her to open her mind, brainstorm in her own thoughts, use the facts and her personal perspective on the subject (Abortation for example.) I didn't understand why didn't she ask her professor at her community college to help explaining to her how to write the simple essays. Neither did she ask for help from the tutor after class which I suggested her to. She had pressured me to explain over and over again but I asked her to sign her own thoughts and her views on the subject in ASL, then I told her "see, then put it your words in the paragraph what you said" She did so but stopped after just 2 sentences...struggled to write anymore. I was really tired and wanted to sleep, but she won't let me unless she finishes her homework the night before her class. She had me so frustated, it made me give in and went ahead writing the whole essays in 3 paragraphs on my own, and then she would shut up so I could get sleep. However, she never thanked me for my help. A couple months later, she dropped out of GED class. *shrugs*

Sounds to me like she didn't want to do any of her own work.

I had about 30 students of mine who ended up getting GEDs...I taught two courses of it a few years ago. Most of them were able to use it to get into training programs with support from the vocational rehab' services. A couple of them started job training right away and landed good jobs, that paid better than my job! And a few just got it and then went right back to glorifying couch potatoes. :(
Yeah, those are the lucky ones... :(

I've seen that happen to a few people. A lot of other people think that they can do the same thing, but it's more of luck than skill to get something like that. :)

Well anymore employers are demanding a GED at the very minimum for consideration at entry level jobs.

The only way around it is if you are under 18 and are currently enrolled in a public school or use false documentation.

Well anymore employers are demanding a GED at the very minimum for consideration at entry level jobs.

The only way around it is if you are under 18 and are currently enrolled in a public school or use false documentation.

Not really. theres more ways around it.

Not really. theres more ways around it.

Well I guess I'm taking it you know people that have been able to get jobs without a GED. I've also been told about this "wage certificate" that is NOT a GED or HS Diploma equivalent, but rather it just says you possess basic work skills for employment. Some employers will accept this, some will not, at least that is what I am told.

Back