Deaf people are world's best drivers

Heart2Heart

Reaction score
:cheers:

Oh shit didn't work put image.. sorry I can't remember how I put.. I haven't been there for long time...

I wear the seat belt, I see all mirrors sharp and clear, and never even get a speeding ticket or get in an accident or anything yet since I first drove at age 18. :P

I drove since age 16; started driving a school bus during the '91-92 school year until Christmas 1995. At that time, I went for my class A commercial driver's license. I've had unpreventable accidents which resulted in no injuries to anyone; had had speeding tickets, but, as of now, my record is clean. I was backed into two days before Christmas, otherwise, I haven't had an accident since January 1985.

And, in case you're wondering...yes, I still drive my car as if it's a semi truck. I'm also very visual when I drive.

Steel X said:
I wear the seat belt, I see all mirrors sharp and clear, and never even get a speeding ticket or get in an accident or anything yet since I first drove at age 18. :P

Don't be a ego, Steel. Everyone will get in an accident in their lifetime. I've been in like 3 or 4 accidents and a CLOSE call yesterday!

Have you ever been in an accident where the car you were in smashed into a concrete barrier at 75 MPH, swerved all over the highway and flew over a grassy embankment with about a 30-40 foot drop?

Endymion has! Rock on. ;)

That was freaky, though. I'm never riding with that person again.

I have a pretty stellar driving record. I pay dirt cheap insurance. That's probably half because I make the companies compete with each other. My favorite strategy is to find the absolute cheapest for what I want, and then call up another company (while understanding the design of their business system -- that's important) and say to the right person that "I've got an offer for so-and-so, you wanna beat it?"

That's a great technique! I guess the trick is finding the right person... ;)

BTW, my guess on the great driving records you guys have...in the words of the great Alastor Moody, "CONSTANT VIGILANCE!"

Sometimes if you have all your senses, you also start thinking you're immortal along with it...hence some laziness and stupid decisions... ;)

I have remained with State Farm for about ten years, maybe a little more. My rates are very low. I don't compare companies, especially Geico.

Rose Immortal said:
Sometimes if you have all your senses, you also start thinking you're immortal along with it...hence some laziness and stupid decisions... ;)

So true! It has been stated over and over that the majority of accidents occur within five miles of home. Makes sense as that is when most drivers relax as they think they are home free! NOT!!!!

sr171soars said:
So true! It has been stated over and over that the majority of accidents occur within five miles of home. Makes sense as that is when most drivers relax as they think they are home free! NOT!!!!

I would actually be interested in knowing the ratio of how often people are really outside the five mile radius compared to how many accidents there are outside of the radius.

For example, everything I need is really only five miles away from me, give or take a few. The majority of my driving happens within that five mile radius. It is therefore much more likely an accident will happen within five miles, as opposed to outside five miles.

Though, I do spend a fair amount of time on the road during weekends. Endymion has to paint the town red, but they already know all his antics here. Darn. ;)

Yes, true that of within 5 miles from your home the higher likely to have an accident.

I know of one guy who inherited a million dollars from his parents' lottery from late 80s'. They would be "one of first" lottery winners back then.

Anyway, his mother was killed only within a quarter mile from their home in the early eve when it poured hard. Someone hit her car behind when she was going to turn left toward to her home street.

Then in next few years from that accident his father died due to some health reason. He eventually has a bro but he was so well self-made on his own so therefore he inherited the most of it. He managed it well with it.

And he still live in his childhood home where his parents lived. I wonder how he could face it on that dreadful intersection everytime he goes home or return back home. He seem ok with it, however.

That will be for ahwile since more deafies might use their sidekicks or pagers during driving. I was told by my friend who knew his friend got killed for not attention on the road...cop found the sidekick opened and unfinished composing lay on her lap.. :tears:

"Don't pager and Drive!" may be bring to deafies as same as "Don't use cellohone and Drive!" to hearing people :pissed:

MaxUFC said:

"Don't pager and Drive!" may be bring to deafies as same as "Don't use cellohone and Drive!" to hearing people

Good advice! There is a substantial body of evidence piling up that indicates laws are needed to not allow anybody to use their cell phones (and sidekicks) while driving except during emergencies like reporting accidents, fires and whatnot. This is not to say people won't abuse the law but at least the police can pull you over for it (it is easy to prove with the phone records). I'm sure given the number of people who use their cells while driving will make it very hard to pass such laws.

I would say using sidekick is worst than cell phones but neither is really safe. Anytime your eyes are not on the road, anything goes. At with a cell phone your eyes are on the road but the problem is that you don't have your full attention on it. I have seen far too many idiots on the road all over the place like if drunk but simply gabbing away... Once, I had to talk (I can do it with my CI) with my mom while driving to ask a question or two (my wife had the cell phone but passed it to me). Afterwards, it woke me up to the difficulty paying attention driving and talking on the phone. Not easy at all and I'm glad I really never do it.

Back