Deaf parents with hearing child(ren)

blairtheblur

Reaction score
Hey there Alldeaf world. I've been a member for a while now. I'm an intern with the Tribune in Chicago (a big media corporation for you guys not from around here).

I'm writing an article about the rewards/challenges of raising a hearing child when you are deaf. I'm taking an opposite look at it, because people usually think about the rewards/challenges of raising a deaf child if you are hearing.

I would like to interview a couple deaf parents with coda kids, and a couple coda kids. I can do the interview via IM, e-mail or relay... whichever works best for you. You can even talk on here if you'd like.

My e-mail is mishleaub@gmail.com, my Yahoo IM is mishleaub, my AIM is mishleaub@gmail.com. I'd really appreciate it! I'll bake you cookies if you live around Chicago. :D

Oh cool! What would you say you are most excited about having a hearing daughter? What are you most scared of?

Also, can I get your first and last name and occupation?

Thank you so much! Cute daughter by the way! :)

Melanie C. (prefer to not saying last name since it's public)

I'm staying at home to taking care of my daughter.

I only care that she's healthy, I don't care if she's hearing or deaf. Since I raised up in hearing family, I'm only one who is deaf, right now having a hearing daughter and I love her very much. What Im scared of, im not sure. I would say I would be scared if she's very shameful of me being her deaf mother. and a few things more, I bet I will find more later on.

Count me in, but my 3 hearing sons are adopted and I'm deaf and a single parent.

Iam a deaf mom of two hearing children..one 12 years old and the other a 3 year old. :)

I know maybe I should not reply as a hearing parent of a deaf child. I would have to imagine that some of the concerns would be the same though. Like communication. That is a big concern for me and I would think it would be a concer for deaf parents of hearing children.

Back