Deaf parents vs baby

iSign

Reaction score
Earlier today I was watching " Bringing Home Baby " on TLC and I wondered...How do Deaf or HoH parents deal with the fact that they have a baby and babies rely on crying their little hearts out to get what they need. How they know when the baby's crying and they are not nearby the baby or are asleep? Or when the baby starts growing, is it more stressful to the parents to take care of the kid since they can't really listen if the kid screams or be attentive by following the sounds?

I hope this question doesn't offend anyone, I'm just genuinely curious :)

Earlier today I was watching " Bringing Home Baby " on TLC and I wondered...How do Deaf or HoH parents deal with the fact that they have a baby and babies rely on crying their little hearts out to get what they need. How they know when the baby's crying and they are not nearby the baby or are asleep? Or when the baby starts growing, is it more stressful to the parents to take care of the kid since they can't really listen if the kid screams or be attentive by following the sounds?

Special monitors are available for crying babies. Using lights. I never found it stressful.

I enjoyed when my kids were growing up. It really wasn't much trouble to watch them.

Special monitors are available for crying babies. Using lights. I never found it stressful.

I enjoyed when my kids were growing up. It really wasn't much trouble to watch them.

Only lights? But if what if you're sleeping? I really want to know about this one cause I'm hearing and usually when I fall asleep, the world could end and I don't wake up lol so if I were deaf it really would be a concerning situation for me cause I don't think light would wake me up.

Only lights? But if what if you're sleeping? I really want to know about this one cause I'm hearing and usually when I fall asleep, the world could end and I don't wake up lol so if I were deaf it really would be a concerning situation for me cause I don't think light would wake me up.

Shop Baby Cry Signalers for deaf and hard of hearing

Here is a link that will show you several different kinds. Not all just using light.

We co-sleep with the baby (it helps to get the proper bedding for co-sleeping so you don't roll over your baby or anything like that) There are vibrating monitor design for deaf people that you can put under your mattress.. but I never used that. I let our son sleep with us until he was 4 or 5 years olds (when he was able to get up and find us).

Yes, he sleeps on his own JUST FINE since then. It wasn't hard to make him sleep on his own bed at all.

I have a alarm that flashes light every morning to wake my son up for school. it does wake me up.

When my hearing husband is deep deep asleep, he doesn't hear anything..I feel if he can't hear anything (yes, he slept through a baby crying!!) he would not see flashing light or feel vibration either. This only happen when you are in Slow-wave sleep or something like that.

I always turned off my hearing aids whenever my children got into crying fits or temper tantrums...it helps me to deal with them calmly. My daughter is 13 now and my son is 5 and they are both fine.

after reading shel's, I see you mean when we are another room as well and not just sleeping. Well some parents rely on schedule when it is time for feeding (not every parents will respond to crying, they look for cues before the baby cries).

I don't really leave the baby unattended anyway. I had a playpen that I carried everywhere with me.

I think it is stressful to check on the baby often, but I have energy.

I always turned off my hearing aids whenever my children got into crying fits or temper tantrums...it helps me to deal with them calmly. My daughter is 13 now and my son is 5 and they are both fine.

That's awesome! Without the loud screaming you can work better.

after reading shel's, I see you mean when we are another room as well and not just sleeping. Well some parents rely on schedule when it is time for feeding (not every parents will respond to crying, they look for cues before the baby cries).

I don't really leave the baby unattended anyway. I had a playpen that I carried everywhere with me.

I think it is stressful to check on the baby often, but I have energy.

Thanks for responding :ty: I don't personally know anyone deaf so I asked you girls :D

Thanks to all. You guys really helped clear out my doubt ^__^

We co-sleep with the baby (it helps to get the proper bedding for co-sleeping so you don't roll over your baby or anything like that) There are vibrating monitor design for deaf people that you can put under your mattress.. but I never used that. I let our son sleep with us until he was 4 or 5 years olds (when he was able to get up and find us).

Yes, he sleeps on his own JUST FINE since then. It wasn't hard to make him sleep on his own bed at all.

Yes, we also went the co-sleeping way. I would put the newborn in a baby
sleeping bag type carrier which had sides, to stop me from rolling on the baby. I would often sleep holding my baby's hand the whole night.

I was living in a 1 bedroom condo when I had my kids. My mother was also living with us. I never knew about any options for baby monitors for deaf people. I had the kids in a bassinet next to me for the first 6 weeks or so, then they went to their crib which we converted the dining alcove into the baby room. By the time son was born, we had a crib, toddler bed, changing table and dresser all in the dining alcove. My mother helped out a lot since I couldn't hear them. I have since been told that I should not have relied on her, but I really did not know there was anything out there.

First child was born in '91, we used the flashing lights.

Unfortunately for us, he was born with multiple developmental issues and had a perverted form of Autism, so he was a very, very difficult child. I simply HATE those flashing lights today, since all we got was flashing lights several times a night for about 3 years straight.

Daughter was born in '97, and almost never woke us up, we kept checking the light flashers to be sure they were still working.

Today's deaf parents have many, many choices of baby monitoring. People back in the '70's and beyond did not have many choices.

First child was born in '91, we used the flashing lights.

Unfortunately for us, he was born with multiple developmental issues and had a perverted form of Autism, so he was a very, very difficult child. I simply HATE those flashing lights today, since all we got was flashing lights several times a night for about 3 years straight.

Daughter was born in '97, and almost never woke us up, we kept checking the light flashers to be sure they were still working.

Today's deaf parents have many, many choices of baby monitoring. People back in the '70's and beyond did not have many choices.

My kids were born in 94 & 95. I just never knew about anything for the deaf or hard of hearing until I was in my late 30's.

I was living in a 1 bedroom condo when I had my kids. My mother was also living with us. I never knew about any options for baby monitors for deaf people. I had the kids in a bassinet next to me for the first 6 weeks or so, then they went to their crib which we converted the dining alcove into the baby room. By the time son was born, we had a crib, toddler bed, changing table and dresser all in the dining alcove. My mother helped out a lot since I couldn't hear them. I have since been told that I should not have relied on her, but I really did not know there was anything out there.

Damn. Well congrats to you for managing :) at times people just think they have gone over their heads but you found a way ^__^ and relying on ones mom is nothing wrong :S a lot of hearing parents rely on their mothers for help >.>

yep, I seen plenty of people rely on their mother for help. Unfortunately, My mother was fighting cancer when my son was born.

yep, I seen plenty of people rely on their mother for help. Unfortunately, My mother was fighting cancer when my son was born.

Ouch, I hope she's ok <3

My mom had thyroid cancer years ago but she got operated and thank God to this day she's never had anything to do with it :)

Thanks, I'm glad your mother is doing well. My mother never made it. She passed away about three years later. So you do what you gotta do. And that mean I will have to go on without my mother. People are lucky they have their mother there for them :)

Back