Deaf Parents Of Hearing Children

Babyblue

Reaction score
My children are hearing.

And they're times I know my kids say something smart alecky. But when I go back and ask...What you say? They will change what they have said. Since I know I pretty much understood and heard what they said. They will change it.

Burns me up.

Any other deaf parents feel this way?

Oh yeah....once ur back is turned...they'll rant on you!

I dunno the solution to this, it's been going on for ages....Hearing kids of deaf parents can get away with murder!

Oh yeah....once ur back is turned...they'll rant on you!

I dunno the solution to this, it's been going on for ages....Hearing kids of deaf parents can get away with murder!

Especially, when the kids get older.

I just tell my kids what good is it when I can not hear what you have to say. :lol:

Hearing parents with hearing kids. Kids just have to think of it. but not actually say it.

So we can not really control what the kids think.

Deaf parents, children can actually say what they what they think. Knowing that their parents can not hear.

Yeah, I understand but same thing with deaf children along with hearing parents. I sign too fast for my parents to not understand at all, they would ask me to waht to say and I would say something different or nothing.. *shrug* no perfect either to both deaf and hearing.

I am sure my daughter does it when my hubby isnt around. Oh well...as long as she is not doing drugs, havign sex, sneaking out of the housee and etc etc, all is good.

I am sure my daughter does it when my hubby isnt around. Oh well...as long as she is not doing drugs, havign sex, sneaking out of the housee and etc etc, all is good.

I agree. But it still burns me up at the heat of the moment. When I am "like"
'cuse me? What did you just say? They will say... "uh.." I will say to them that is what I thought. Now go on! :lol:

In my O.P. I was heated. Due to my kids were fighting earlier today. I told them to just go to your rooms. Just so I could separate them.

It is all good now. I have talked to them. Been a stressful week for all of us. Tough transition.

I agree. But it still burns me up at the heat of the moment. When I am "like"
'cuse me? What did you just say? They will say... "uh.." I will say to them that is what I thought. Now go on! :lol:

In my O.P. I was heated. Due to my kids were fighting earlier today. I told them to just go to your rooms. Just so I could separate them.

It is all good now. I have talked to them. Been a stressful week for all of us. Tough transition.

I agree...I do get burned up too. It sucks sometimes.

I was a single Deaf parent of an only child who is hearing. It was tough to raise a hearing child by myself and he get away with temper tantrum. He was out of control almost all the time. I had to get back up for him when I could not do anything with him. Two years ago I visited my son and went down the memory lane of how he was growing up and he told me that he apologized to me for his behaving badly and was out of control. He understood that he has children of his own and boy they gave him heck of a time with them. They are all hearing. Yeah, times are hard when you have hearing children. I guess that is a life for a Deaf person raising a hearing child but still it would be nice to dream of having a Deaf child, but again that Deaf child would be acting like the hearing child too. Am I right? :hmm:

My children are hearing.

And they're times I know my kids say something smart alecky. But when I go back and ask...What you say? They will change what they have said. Since I know I pretty much understood and heard what they said. They will change it.

Burns me up.

Any other deaf parents feel this way?

yes same here. I only tell them that is not manner when they do it behind my back unless whatever it is. its mixed of part of their growing behavior but keep them on the right track of having good manners. ugh! haha

Hearing has nothing to do with it. It is typical kids behaviour

Perhaps.

But children of deaf parents will do it right in front of you.

children of hearing parents.. may turn their backs and mumble something.

I still find it totally disrespectful. For them to sit there and say something. Knowing, I will not hear what they voice out.

Hearing parents can catch on to it more.

JMO

Perhaps.

But children of deaf parents will do it right in front of you.

children of hearing parents.. may turn their backs and mumble something.

I still find it totally disrespectful. For them to sit there and say something. Knowing, I will not hear what they voice out.

Hearing parents can catch on to it more.

JMO

I totally agree. Very very disrespectful.

yes. i agree. i rather them not to do it for bad habits for the rest of their lives once they get out of house. They need to understand what respect defines, to show their courtesy for people's feelings.

Seems to be something we'll just have to accept...

There's no stopping to it, it is culturally taught. Even hearing parents.. for example, mine - faced the same thing back when I was a teenager. My friends have done same with theirs. We just mutter under our breaths, and when they ask "what did you say?", we changed it.

Some teens will want to talk back to their parents, to have the last word.

Maybe American culture is to blame?

I dont think so, its very common for small kids to say like that in all the world. Most kids dislike being told to do by the higher level.

That's true, I didn't like to be told what to do, but I know I'm infused with American culture. I remember my father once commenting on my american habit, saying "Look at the kids in Asia, they never do this! Americans have no respect for their elders!"

When I got older, I asked him what's so different. He explained he thinks that it has to do with the asian culture, they are given many forms of respects they must follow to their elders. If they didn't do it, they were punished. If you were caught in school talking back to a teacher, you get whipped or beat with a stick. Serious!

That's true, I didn't like to be told what to do, but I know I'm infused with American culture. I remember my father once commenting on my american habit, saying "Look at the kids in Asia, they never do this! Americans have no respect for their elders!"

When I got older, I asked him what's so different. He explained he thinks that it has to do with the asian culture, they are given many forms of respects they must follow to their elders. If they didn't do it, they were punished. If you were caught in school talking back to a teacher, you get whipped or beat with a stick. Serious!

Kids back in the days did not do that. Due to Americans were allowed to punish their children.

Now a days DCF will step in if you smack a child.

Kids back in the days did not do that. Due to Americans were allowed to punish their children.

Now a days DCF will step in if you smack a child.

That is very true when it came to punish the kids for their behavior in the old days. The native elders told us, native parents, that their kids were discipline and obey, never get in trouble. But when the grandchildren came around and their mothers and fathers don't do the discipline and obedience them because they were afraid that the children will be taken away from them. I don't know but also I felt that the parents are being soften and let them get away with what they want. There is no discipline. I remembered I was put in my room for punishment for time out, no spanking or whipped. It should do the same for any kid to put in the corner or in the room for a short limit of time for smaller kids and for bigger kids like eight years old to teen for a little bit longer period of time to make them think about what they have done wrong for their action. I noticed a lot don't like to stay in the room or corner for punishment and they tried to get away by being spoiled brats. Ugh. :roll:

I am a single hearing mother of hearing children and am going to college full time. I am learning ASL. I have always wanted to sign and learn about the Deaf culture. I entered this forum as an assignment. I have 2 small children and they can be a hand full at times. Discipline is always a challenge whether the parents or children are hearing or Deaf. I would love to hear more thoughts of discipline on how the Deaf discipline. As for the topic at hand, I think it is a normal behavior for a child to back talk to their parents whether they are hearing or Deaf. Either talking under their breath, rolling the eyes, not signing what they really said. I'm not sure it is just an American Culture or not. I do think we Americans tend to take a lot for granted.

Back