Deaf parents/hearing children (article)

Deaf parents have tight bonds, understanding with their hearing children - chicagotribune.com

I don't know how to post the way I usually see articles posted, with Link and Article in message. Sorry.

Being a deaf parent to a hearing child is in many ways like having a child that speaks a foreign language. Even if the parent can lip read very well, which is not common, there is still a communication barrier.

Being a parent of a Child of Deaf Adult, or CODA, can be a lesson in patience, love and creativity.

Shelly McCully, a deaf mother with three hearing children, wants to be sure all children are raised with an open mind.

"Because I have experienced discrimination and ignorance on all levels, I am a good role model to my children about accepting people who aren't like us. I would tell [hearing parents] not to teach their children bigotry, ignorance or discrimination against others who aren't like them. Teach them to accept diversity and be very open-minded," said McCully.

Need basic training in SEO and social media? Sign up for 435 Digital seminars at Tribune Tower >>

As for communicating with her children, McCully has little trouble. She has taught her children American Sign Language (ASL), and she also sometimes relies on spoken English.

"The only time that it becomes difficult is when my children are talking to each other and I don't know what they are saying, and when they have their hearing friends over. I am always worried that some pervert will try to take advantage of my deafness and say something to my children that's not appropriate and I won't be aware of it," said McCully.

Jan Morris, another deaf mother with three hearing children, is also close with her children. They meet in the middle when communicating, with her using lip reading and them signing.

Through compromise, their trust grew. "The most rewarding aspect of adopting three boys is the trust and love they have given me for almost seven years. They are very protective of me, they value my advice," said Morris.

Her advice is pretty agreeable, as she explains her philosophy on parenting.

"Always be there for them, listen to them, and keep no secrets in the home. Be open and forthright. Make home rules that everyone can keep, be firm. Keep them busy! Always remain in contact with their teachers and their peers. Always give "hugs" freely! And [sign] ILY (ASL for I love you) often!"

Here is your article. :)

Back