Deaf parents/hearing child w/disability/ADA and IEP?

blakey

Reaction score
I am curious as to what the law requires from a school if the parents are deaf and the child is hearing but has a disability. What are the rights of the parents when attending their child's IEP conference?

The child:
The school has to provide accomodation for that disability. You did not say what kind of disability though, so it is hard to be specific.

The Parents:
The school has to accomodate their disability. Either by providing auxillary devices or an interpreter. You need to make your needs known ahead of time, preferably in writing so that you have proof of your notifying them. That gives them time to make the proper arrangements. They are responsible for obtaining and paying interpreters, not you. But you do have to give them notice and your communication preferences. Read the ADA section pertaining to schools.

I agree.

Hi Blakey,
The ADA law says your child must have an interprerter in class, and at meetings.
The school is resonable to hire an interpreter, and to pay them.
I'm an interpreter myself,and I do interpret at a Jewish school in Southern California,and they are very good about paying me ect.
Margie
Dir. of Communicaton Services
OCDAC

Margie said:
Hi Blakey,
The ADA law says your child must have an interprerter in class, and at meetings.
The school is resonable to hire an interpreter, and to pay them.
The child is hearing.

blakey said:
I am curious as to what the law requires from a school if the parents are deaf and the child is hearing but has a disability. What are the rights of the parents when attending their child's IEP conference?

That'd be under Title II that deaf parents need effective communications to have discussions regarding their child at the IEP conference.

Richard

thx for replying

thanks everybody for replying; just fyi--the child is hearing and has learning disability--but you answered my question--Title II under ADA--just wanted to make sure. :)

Back