Deaf or not...

mandi

Reaction score
I am just posting this here....

I was approached by someone in the store, asking me a question about something. Although the person mistook me for someone who works in the store (I am innocent shopper in the store premise). After I answered her question regarding the product, I was about to turn and walk away.

The lady stopped me and said that I speak really well for a deaf person, she then implied that I am not deaf. I swore up and down that I am definely deaf but do speak very well for a deaf person, I was raised in a household full of hearing family members but I also grew up signing in ASL, PSE and SEE! I am fully ASL as I am now living on my own with my broodings.

I was astonished to hear from the woman who don't EVEN know me telling me that I am not really deaf!!!

What's your intake on that one?????

Before coming on this message board I always thought deaf people just couldn't speak right, or fluently or however you see it... Now I do :D

The variety is pretty large... I just hope the woman wasn't mean... she just didn't know better :( Maybe next time you see her around, you could tell her to join AD and learn something about the Deaf :giggle:

Jamie

I am in the same boat as Mandi's - I am deaf but raised well in the hearing family and educated mainstreamed. I use AUSLAN and speak very well. I lipread too. Some people are surprised that deaf people are smart after all.

I have met several people in the past that was :shock: when I told them I am deaf.

They would tell me they sense my speech was somewhat different but none of them actually realized that I am deaf.

I usually do not get offended by it, when they are like Ohh.

I just get offended when people try me. For an example to test me by whispering or saying that I can hear more that I let on. :roll:

same mine! i also deaf

IF i at work i cant hears that so simple!

I am in the same boat as Mandi's - I am deaf but raised well in the hearing family and educated mainstreamed. I use AUSLAN and speak very well. I lipread too. Some people are surprised that deaf people are smart after all.

You're deaf?? Get outta here! I assumed you were hearing because I recall you saying you've been signing 10 years. Or maybe I just misunderstood.

@ OP: sorry to go OT. :P

You're deaf?? Get outta here! I assumed you were hearing because I recall you saying you've been signing 10 years. Or maybe I just misunderstood.

@ OP: sorry to go OT. :P

I get to correct that. He is Australian, so AUSLAN is his sign language. ASL is his second sign language. ;)

It's okay. It is kinda of not a big deal. Shh, we are part of mystery to hearing people.

I can relate to your experience. I've had this happen to me as well. I've had people say to me, "You speak well for a deaf person" or "Deafblind people can't talk."

Unfortunately, many people have all kinds of misconceptions when it comes to people who are deaf or deafblind for that matter.

I just try to do the best I can to educate. Even if I'm only able to educate one person, it makes the effort worthwhile.

I know the line wasn't directed at me, but I just wanted to say that I never thought that deaf people weren't smart just because they can't hear, or blind people or people sitting in a wheelchair, etc.

Some people are just ignorant or don't want to understand or to believe, which is just ridiculous in my POV... :roll: Bf currently learns a lot from me, just like I do, ever since I joined AD in mid-January and I am glad :D

Unfortunately, many people have all kinds of misconceptions when it comes to people who are deaf or deafblind for that matter. (from HA)

It all depends on how the people were educated or taught about other people being *different* (<- my excuses for using that term!)

Jamie

Back