Votes: 22 78.6%
  • hearing loss

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeafSCUBA98

Reaction score
hi guys,
I know I have been gone like forever, but I would like to have some help with my English homework. i'm currently writing an essay about what the Deaf/hard of hearing should be called in the public settings.

this is just a survey. I just need a percentage of people to prove that I have asked around... if you would like to comment why you choice the answer, feel free to comment on this thread.
thanks!
deafscuba!

I voted for deaf/hard of hearing, although I am somewhat conflicted and feel that the general public kind of perceives that as deaf:hears nothing and can't communicate, and hoh: just talk louder and they will hear you.

Hearing impaired often seems to have more meaning to people without knowledge of deafness, as the impaired part lets them know there may be difficulty in communication.

I voted deaf/hoh because I don't like the term "impaired" as if there is something wrong with me.

I honestly don't care if people call me HOH or say that I have hearing loss (because I do)

hi guys,
I know I have been gone like forever, but I would like to have some help with my English homework. i'm currently writing an essay about what the Deaf/hard of hearing should be called in the public settings.

this is just a survey. I just need a percentage of people to prove that I have asked around... if you would like to comment why you choice the answer, feel free to comment on this thread.
thanks!
deafscuba!

I don't get into labels personally, and I don't like people putting labels on me, but it gives them joy I suspect to put people in a category. I tell people I'm hearing impaired with my hearing aids, deaf without them. BTW, I didn't bother to vote.

Laura

I didn't bother to vote either.
DEAF here (interesting pun)

I didn't vote because I don't care which of those you call me, they're all applicable. I think of myself as deaf without my aid and hoh with it on. You can call me hearing impaired, I am. There's noting wrong with me, but there is something wrong with my ears. I am not my ears so I don't take it personally.

I voted deaf/hoh because I don't like the term "impaired" as if there is something wrong with me.

There is something wrong with my ears the nerves are damage . I could care less if people call it deaf or hearing impaired . I was born in 1946 and I had been called a reject student , special needs student, and the best one is " a waste of taxpayers money ,teacher and principle time" My high school principle said this to me right in front of my parents . I also been called four letters words by my dad in public . So I do not bend out of place being called hearing impaired .

:shock:WDYS, that really sucks, what they/everyone said about you in that time
:hug:

There is something wrong with my ears the nerves are damage . I could care less if people call it deaf or hearing impaired . I was born in 1946 and I had been called a reject student , special needs student, and the best one is " a waste of taxpayers money ,teacher and principle time" My high school principle said this to me right in front of my parents . I also been called four letters words by my dad in public . So I do not bend out of place being called hearing impaired .

Been there done that, as a student with LD, you learn to roll with the punches and not get bent of shape because someone says you have a disability. If you want to say "hearing impaired," I'm fine with it. My nick name in high school was "dummy" so being called HOH or hearing impaired in no way rattles me....

Lau, in my pre-high school years, I was called all kinda of names and physically bullied..undiagnosed LD in math. I was in Special Ed as a kid for Speech and Language and in a "special" gym class in middle school for people who didn't "fit" and weren't performing on par with the others, but LD was never caught- they thought I had "math anxiety" in high school and they put me into counseling with the school psychologist.

I personally prefer hoh but the fearful memories of those confusing and lost times relating to my undiagnosed learning disability/audio processing issues in school - before high school - impact me on a level that is not -quite- the same as if someone calls me "hearing impaired". Though I dislike that term for myself.

Been there done that, as a student with LD, you learn to roll with the punches and not get bent of shape because someone says you have a disability. If you want to say "hearing impaired," I'm fine with it. My nick name in high school was "dummy" so being called HOH or hearing impaired in no way rattles me....

My nickname as home was 'deafie' . I know I was called names at school but I never hear the kids saying them and did not react to them so I was no fun to pick on. Plus I was called worst names by my dad and anything the kids said was child play. I am dyslexia and this made it hard to do math and type. I could type 60 words per minutes in school high, but there was one big problem the words where backward!

I'm not sure about voting as I think there's two parts to the question. I don't care what anybody calls me, but I agree with Bottesini here. If I tell someone I'm Deaf, they think I can't hear anything or speak. Hard of hearing is usually what people associate with really old people and they just talk louder. Hearing impaired seems to be the description most people understand as telling them you have difficulty hearing.

I've never understand the big deal about the word "impaired." It doesn't mean you are less of a person, it just means that something on you doesn't work as well as it does for most people. So what!

I don't get into labels personally, and I don't like people putting labels on me, but it gives them joy I suspect to put people in a category. I tell people I'm hearing impaired with my hearing aids, deaf without them. BTW, I didn't bother to vote.

Laura

Labels belong on jars not on people! I once saw a bumper sticker that said something like this and I really liked it.

I'm not sure about voting as I think there's two parts to the question. I don't care what anybody calls me, but I agree with Bottesini here. If I tell someone I'm Deaf, they think I can't hear anything or speak. Hard of hearing is usually what people associate with really old people and they just talk louder. Hearing impaired seems to be the description most people understand as telling them you have difficulty hearing.

I've never understand the big deal about the word "impaired." It doesn't mean you are less of a person, it just means that something on you doesn't work as well as it does for most people. So what!

I feel the same way about being called hearing impaired , it does not mean my body is broken , my ears do not work right . I had a kid say that I talk funny and I told her that I hear funny too and showed her my HA . The girl thought for a moment then said to me take that out of your ear then talk. So I took my HA out and said something and the girl said " You still talk funny!" Poor kid she thought she had the answer to why I talk funny. It was very cute and funny .

I'm not sure about voting as I think there's two parts to the question. I don't care what anybody calls me. Hearing impaired seems to be the description most people understand as telling them you have difficulty hearing.

I did not vote because the choices given do not matter to me — use whichever you prefer. What annoys me no end are not the terms asked about here but deafie and hearie that I first encountered on this site. They seem downright demeaning. What is wrong with deaf or hearing?

The part I left on in quoting Rogus are things that I particularly agree with.

The part where Rogus says "I've never understand the big deal about the word "impaired." It doesn't mean you are less of a person, it just means that something on you doesn't work as well as it does for most people. So what!" Is something I so agree with and could not have said better.

It is my right not wanting to be associated with that label, "impaired". I have had bad experiences with it.

If u want to be called "impaired" feel free. I don't care but don't criticize me or others for not wanting to be associated with that label.

Goes both ways.

I understand how folks don't want to be called "impaired"... my experience - comes <in a general sense for many people> from a Deaf perspective versus Hearing perspective...why focus on something considered to be a "problem" or focus on "not" - makes it easier <for hearing power structure> to make deaf be a medical issue, easier to de-value language and by default also culture, in that way.

-also no issue with term "deafie" or "hearie".

Back