Deaf or ADHD?

Dreamer03

Reaction score
So now I am hearing, but I was born deaf. So for the first 7 years of my life I was deaf but I guess no one noticed and I didn't know how exactly I learned to speak. But well because not even my parents or doctors noticed I was deaf I got grounded many times for not paying attention. It got to the point in which I was taken to a psychologist and this psychologist identified me with ADHD. She even wanted to force me to take medications, and my teacher would get angry at me for not paying attention. I guess no one noticed I needed to read lips and when they turned I was super confused (at this time I did not even know ASL existed). Good for me, my parents said no to taking medications, but this resulted in more punishing due to not paying attention. At some point when my little sister was born finally a doctor noticed I was deaf and about a year later I had surgery and could hear. I guess ASL was not really an option for me, because neither I or my parents knew it existed and well until this day there is nothing for ASL until you enter college. I do have to admit...I still get distracted really easily but I am pretty sure its not ADHD.

Most of us have "little insight" as to the reason for our ongoing "problems re: hearing" or other problems.
Also, how did you "cease being deaf" at seven and became hearing? What "medical intervention occurred"?
aside: the usual progression is the "other way" re Hearing to Deafness.

Your last sentence- a clue to "something"? How can you "be sure it is not ADHD"? What alternate explanation fits your specific circumstance?

Having taken SpeechReading at Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto. it is very difficult
to learn as many English sounds are down "one's throat". Thus difficult to recognize while "P/B/M" is highly visible.
aside: part of their course: "Dealing /coping with your hearing loss".

Welcome to Alldeaf.com

I did had an obstruction on bith ears, mostly cartilage and well i just had a surgery that removed the cartilage. And now that I recall I did go to speech classes but not for english. At time i spoke only spanish. As for the ADHD, later on i went with the psychologist who said it had been a misdiagnose. I do have some eye problems, so while i am a person who gets easily distracted it was not hard for me to pay attention. Pretty much it was assumed that because when they called my name, i didnt answer back it was ADHD.

You are an example-how hard to comment on computer screens.

Hope your eye troubles can be "fixed easily" as your ears.

Cheers

ADHD means on not focus attentions. sometimes ritalin is very attentions. it is mind is won't doesn't . it is risk!.
alots of easy. it is very really difficult for ADHD depend. it is pretty you have attention focus. it skills very mind control means. She doesn't know how ADHD you have illness/

but you have control beat to thinking uneasy. it is very hardeat ADHD is very is hardest. it is very.

example Game. Person stubborn is very won't listen wont told parents tried to encourage to lesson. But ADHD, gamer focus to ADHD on means obsession.

that is simply complication!

My eyesight not really it can't be repaired. By way I know I just got into the forum but I might be out for a few days, I am having surgery tomorrow. See how that goes.

My eyesight not really it can't be repaired. By way I know I just got into the forum but I might be out for a few days, I am having surgery tomorrow. See how that goes.

I have experineced :) I have experienced ADHD . it is scary anxiety cannot focus I don't mind to you. I have problem on issues ADHD.

sorry hear you. I have alots of better I can do it happy. I final successfully :) I don't want to anymore to ADHD medication whether, I had youth treatment, I said thank to treatment to strictly. they alots of teach lesson me alots of skills lesson. :) I have alots of lesson punish. look likes scoot camp almost to same camp:lol: it is very I am successfully pass healty :)

Back