Deaf Of Other Countries

nandlal

Reaction score
I found that members are mostly from US, CANADA, AUSTRALIA & EUROPE.I would like to know status, living style, rules & regulation of deaf people in all other countries.Any body can share his experiences of developing and other countries.
I am telling about India, Goverment of INDIA has fixed reservation of 1% in most of the goverment's job for deaf people.Normal Schools can not deny admission to deaf child.All type of hearing aids like phonak, siemens etc. are available but other instruments as I have seen in this site, are rarely available. Mostly parents of deaf are making efforts for their child to bring speech.Sign language is not so popular and available up to10th or 12th standard only.

nandlal, what outstanding problems do you find very hard for Deaf people in your country? How are you or any Deafies able to communicate if sign-language isn't the 'norm' or 'popular' for your country?

Thanks for sharing with us the plights and information regarding Deafies/Hoh in your country.... ;)

How does this relate to forum suggestions? Could you clarify what you're trying to ask for? If this is just a question asking others about their experiences, then I can move this to "General Chat". :thumb:

I read that deaf people in India cannot drive. Is that still true? I think this should be moved up to like Deaf Education or something like that. General Chat is too busy.

VamPyroX said:
How does this relate to forum suggestions? Could you clarify what you're trying to ask for? If this is just a question asking others about their experiences, then I can move this to "General Chat". :thumb:
I have no objection if my question is moved to "General Chat"/"Deaf Education. :thumb:

TiaraPrincess said:
I read that deaf people in India cannot drive. Is that still true? I think this should be moved up to like Deaf Education or something like that. General Chat is too busy.
It is not true.One has to pass certain test with hearing aid/s. :wave:

Hmm..was never required a certain hearing test for obtaining a driver's license. I only believe that having a good grasp of english and understanding/following the road laws will allow people to obtain a driver's license.

[RIGHT said:
Roadrunner]nandlal, what outstanding problems do you find very hard for Deaf people in your country? How are you or any Deafies able to communicate if sign-language isn't the 'norm' or 'popular' for your country?

Thanks for sharing with us the plights and information regarding Deafies/Hoh in your country.... ;)

India is not so rich country.Technological advancement in the field of latest hearing and deaf products is not there .So far sign language is concerned, it is popular among limited deaf people only.But now a days parents are making hard work with their deaf children to develop speech from very begining. My son (8TH standard student) is 90db loss of hearing and can speak almost 70-75% of normal speech in local language.We are sending him to purchase all day today requirements like eggs,breads and other grocery items. From the last three years we are giving him more thrust on english. Now he can write english also but still pronunication is problem.
:wave:

PurpleRose71 said:
Hmm..was never required a certain hearing test for obtaining a driver's license. I only believe that having a good grasp of english and understanding/following the road laws will allow people to obtain a driver's license.
I have to check up from Transport Department Site.

Now he can write english also but still pronunication is problem.
I'm a native speaker of English and I have trouble pronouncing it. I took two languages in high school and can somewhat muddle along en francais, but my pronouncition is crap. However my written understanding is decent and I can handle simple conversation in it.

How many do they have Deaf schools in India? I have meet some of students from India at Gallaudet. They stated, they are trying very hard to establishment better education for the Deaf children when they will finish their Master degree.

India government is very oppressed to the Deaf people as they treat them as second class citizten. They are very frustrated to find an interpreter to communication with hearing people. There is not much of knowledge in sign language in India.

It must be very frusratation for you to find a good Deaf school for your Deaf son. Hopefully, India government will realize how important for the Deaf Indian children entroll Deaf Schools to expore their language in sign language.

Actually, I think I heard that you needed to hear with hearing aids in order to drive, but can't be completely deaf to drive.

I can drive without my CI, but I wouldn't pick up weird sounds--not sure if that would be important anyway. Just being alert is a good idea.

Last edited:
TiaraPrincess said:
Actually, I think I heard that you needed to hear with hearing aids in order to drive, but can't be completely deaf to drive.
The only restriction for Deaf drivers in SC is the vehicle must have left and right outside mirrors.

Reba. I think that's so odd. I have that in my state too, but I think that's the same in every state as I have heard others state the same thing. The reason is because every car must have that anyway, which I think it's so weird to make that as a 'requirement.' Don't hearing drivers get penalized for driving with one? I don't understand this 'requirement' since everyone need it. Is it just to have a law for deaf drivers?

TiaraPrincess said:
The reason is because every car must have that anyway, which I think it's so weird to make that as a 'requirement.' Don't hearing drivers get penalized for driving with one? I don't understand this 'requirement' since everyone need it. Is it just to have a law for deaf drivers?
Cars are only required to have one outside mirror. Many older cars did not have two mirrors, and people still drive them. Hearing drivers are not required to have two mirrors. Deaf drivers have the 2-mirror restriction printed on their driver's license.

Reba said:
Cars are only required to have one outside mirror. Many older cars did not have two mirrors, and people still drive them. Hearing drivers are not required to have two mirrors. Deaf drivers have the 2-mirror restriction printed on their driver's license.
Scientifically, what is advantage of two mirrors in cars to drive it by deaf.

nandlal said:
Scientifically, what is advantage of two mirrors in cars to drive it by deaf.
I don't work for DMV, so I can't speak for their conclusions. I think that their theory is that two mirrors give the Deaf driver a better view of what is happening in all lanes next-to and behind them, to make up for the fact that they can't hear emergency sirens approaching.

Personally, I think that two mirrors is a good idea for everyone. I guess the automakers agree because it seems all new vehicles are equipped with two outside mirrors. In fact, on the SUVs and trucks the mirrors get bigger and bigger!

Many hearing drivers don't notice emergency sirens. Drivers have the windows closed, the AC blowing, the radio/CD blaring, or they are chatting with the passenger or on the cell phone.

As a hearing driver, sometimes even when I do hear the sirens, it is difficult to know which direction the sound is coming from.

Bottom line is, it is important for all of us to pay attention to driving.

I don't know why some states are still restricting Deaf drivers. I guess the lawmakers are just behind the times.

Reba said:
I don't work for DMV, so I can't speak for their conclusions. I think that their theory is that two mirrors give the Deaf driver a better view of what is happening in all lanes next-to and behind them, to make up for the fact that they can't hear emergency sirens approaching.

Personally, I think that two mirrors is a good idea for everyone. I guess the automakers agree because it seems all new vehicles are equipped with two outside mirrors. In fact, on the SUVs and trucks the mirrors get bigger and bigger!

Many hearing drivers don't notice emergency sirens. Drivers have the windows closed, the AC blowing, the radio/CD blaring, or they are chatting with the passenger or on the cell phone.

As a hearing driver, sometimes even when I do hear the sirens, it is difficult to know which direction the sound is coming from.

Bottom line is, it is important for all of us to pay attention to driving.

I don't know why some states are still restricting Deaf drivers. I guess the lawmakers are just behind the times.
Good explanation.Thanks :wave:

Nandlal, I can understand and sympathize for the fact that the Deaf/HoH culture/community lack the resources in areas such as technical advances, social/public awareness and other issues which exists in your country...Isn't there any Deaf/HoH clubs or groups available in any part of your country or does the country consider the plights(problems-difficulties) of Deaf/HoH not worth the attention it does deserves? If there isn't any such groups or functions available, isn't there a possibility that you or any other Deaf/HoH individuals could initiate(begin) such a group that would be beneficial and supportive for all Deaf/HoH people in your country?

Back