Deaf News

Lorias1228

Reaction score
I decided to try something... I am going to start posting News articles pertaining to Deaf/ HoH/ Deaf-Blind and so on as I find and see them on the web on my website. It will be on the message Board on my site listed as Deaf News.

If you know of anything to add feel free to post it. I'm not sure how often I will get stuff posted but I'll try and post at least once a week.

To read what I find click the link in my signature. Then Message Board.

You're better off using a RSS script that fetches news from other sources, such as Yahoo! These scripts you can find on the Internet, and getting news pertaining the deaf would be somewhat of a challenge since most sources are already deaf news websites offering RSS. This is something I'm working on with AllDeaf, my members/visitors will have the opportunity to display all news posted at AD on their websites in real time, meaning the owners will not have to update manually.

Then again, you can always hire a programmer who can create a custom script which will crawl the web, search for news pertaining the deaf, and display it on your website. Maybe there's already a script out there that does exactly that, but I'm not aware of it as of now.

Good luck with your website.

The BEST source of news related to the deaf would probably be through google.
Google has a news section that is searchable through keywords. They can email you 'alerts' based on these keywords. I subscribe to a variety of alerts, based on different deaf related keywords. (deaf, hearing impaired, sign language, etc).
If you wanted to follow Alex's advice, probably the best thing to do is get an RSS feed that reads off google news. This saves the effort of trying to actually have something that crawls the web for Deaf news. I am aware of several scripts that already do this, but not sure how well they work. Yahoo news and the like are not customizable for deaf related news, so you would need to either get a script to read google news, or get it from other deaf sites.

The mailing lists deafdigest and USA-L news are also popular.
A better idea of dealing with deaf news might be to try and help with the efforts of current deaf news sites. There are several sites that are more or less operated on a volunteer basis, and always need more contributers. Try checking out Chiromeme (my own site) or DeafVoice if you want to help. There are a couple of others, but these are only the two off the top of my head that allow any one to post news.

Back