Deaf Musicians

Makes sense what you say about actors and singers using similar techniques.

While I am hearing, I have taught myself to sing, and I've been having to pay a lot of attention lately to things I wouldn't normally take into account when I speak--all the things you mentioned like breath control, projecting, and also having to feel where I produce the sound from.

What's interesting is, I had a public speaking workshop a few days ago, and found that I no longer had the trouble in projecting my voice across a room that I used to. I have a very tiny voice, but apparently my work with singing taught me some lessons in how to get a lot more out of it than I was before. The trick turned out not to be as much in volume, but in altering the tone to make it sharper...not sure how to explain it, but it works...

Its really awesome to see deafies getting involved and playing music.

I'm a bassist, and guitarist, myself.

Playing with a speaker or an amp near is a good idea for for musicians playing electric. Deaf people have been involved in music for ages. It's nothing new to seasoned musicians. My family line is filled with long time pros including Jack Teagarden the famous jazz blues musician who played some with Louis Armstrong. Just because you dont hear does not neciserily mean much when it comes to being a musician. I'm a Violinist of 18yrs. I am also deaf.

Hi!
I think that this is a great topic.
I think it would be great to have more deaf musicians on tv and on the radio too.
I started composing music when I was 6 years old and have composed and played music everyday for the last 20 years. I am also a synthesizer programmer and program all my own sounds using different waveforms to create sounds that I can hear well with hearing aids. I would love to see and hear other deaf musician's music. Maybe there could be a thread for people to post videos of their work. I have a twin sister who is also deaf and we have a band called "Jumelle" which is French for twins. We both wear hearing aids and have lost more hearing over the years but still play and compose music everyday. We also have a YouTube channel under "jumellemusic". Some of the songs are old and others are newer.
My sister recently played for President Obama, I am so proud of her.
She has kept me strong and has been an inspiration to me when I am sad about our hearing loss. I had better hearing growing up and no matter what, I will never give up music. We both published 2 CDs in middle and high school and will write a 3rd one day hopefully. Studio time is expensive! Anyway music is what keeps me happy and makes life so much more enjoyable! I listen to 80's music pretty much all day. lol My hearing friend thinks Im crazy. lol Anyway hope to find more deaf/hoh musicians and hear thier work. Come on over to our channel and leave a comment! We would love to hear some feedback from others in the same situation. :)
Have a great day everyone! and Keep playin it loud!!!
:)

I am considering myself as guitar beginner but hope to be successful aspiring guitarist no matter whatever! :D

I really love music that inspires me to make my dream happen finally.

i hate to be a jerk, yes beethoven was a great musician. and yes he did eventually become deaf. but he was not born deaf. he started losing his hearing in his twenties. and once his hearing got to the point that he was truly deaf, he stopped making music.

i hate to be a jerk, yes beethoven was a great musician. and yes he did eventually become deaf. but he was not born deaf. he started losing his hearing in his twenties. and once his hearing got to the point that he was truly deaf, he stopped making music.

Actually, you're incorrect that Beethoven stopped writing music after losing his hearing. By early 1802 he already had significant hearing loss, and soon after became functionally deaf (hearing aids at that time would only have provided minimum assistance - nothing remotely like today's) .

Beethoven, continued to compose however, almost to his death +20 years later. He was stopped by illness, not deafness.

I actually prefer playing some of the later works (where he was deaf) to the earlier pieces.

Back