Deaf Musicians... yeah that's right!

Hear2much

Reaction score
I want to start a thread devoted to discussing music; Especially music created by people who are deaf. One of the most gifted classical composers on this earth is deaf and also mostly blind, the drummer from the rock group "Alice in Chains" was deaf (Shawn Dale Barnett) may he rest in peace. A rapper from Detroit (Sean Forbes) who, earlier in the spring, signed with the same people who got eminem started is deaf! He also is quite skilled, no denying it. Beethoven was deaf (not born but)… you get the point.

Music is like dancing you can hear. It is just rhythm being represented with sounds.
Music is a visible thing that is why we transcribe it into a visual structure of sheet music. You don't need to hear what you’re playing to get good if you really understand music.
(and if you don’t understand music, you will suck no matter how well you hear)
There are tons of deaf musicians out there, especially drummers who can feel the vibrations.

I am a musician/composer with a hearing “issue” and I am losing my hearing. If I go deaf, it would not affect my composing. Probably not at all since music is math.

So what do we think of this? I would love to know :hmm:

Take a look three doors down, hotshot.

I want to start a thread devoted to discussing music; Especially music created by people who are deaf. One of the most gifted classical composers on this earth is deaf and also mostly blind, the drummer from the rock group "Alice in Chains" was deaf (Shawn Dale Barnett) may he rest in peace. A rapper from Detroit (Sean Forbes) who, earlier in the spring, signed with the same people who got eminem started is deaf! He also is quite skilled, no denying it. Beethoven was deaf (not born but)… you get the point.

Music is like dancing you can hear. It is just rhythm being represented with sounds.
Music is a visible thing that is why we transcribe it into a visual structure of sheet music. You don't need to hear what you’re playing to get good if you really understand music.
(and if you don’t understand music, you will suck no matter how well you hear)
There are tons of deaf musicians out there, especially drummers who can feel the vibrations.

I am a musician/composer with a hearing “issue” and I am losing my hearing. If I go deaf, it would not affect my composing. Probably not at all since music is math.

So what do we think of this? I would love to know :hmm:
You may like this site or find it helpful:

H.E.A.R. | Hearing Education and Awareness for Rockers | www.hearnet.com

Good luck!

Mods, if anyone is interested, this should be in Deaf Musicians.

Maybe a few people will come in and tell Hear2Much a few things about Deaf Musicians, if he is interested.

Evelynn Glennie. (and not need for you to read up on her, Hears2Much and then regurgitate it back to me)

[ame=http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff8JzvLqdEM&feature=related]YouTube - Deaf Rapper Raps "So So Deaf"[/ame]

Back