Deaf Means Disabled?

T

Toonces

Hi, I just wanted to share something that I found from a forum....okay, I've been visiting PPGWorld.com, a forum where Powerpuff Girls fans of all ages gather to discuss not only the cartoons but many other things in the real life. What I found is a bit upsettting, especially the hearing people's attitude to the Deafness. Read this and see if you agree with it or not, and perhaps you could go in and straighten it out with the hearing people who certainly don't understand that being Deaf does not mean being Disabled!

Here's the link...http://forums.ppgworld.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=23533

You know something.......................hearing people...........doesn't realize that deaf culture is very beautiful. They kept insulting deaf people because they are jealous of beautiful language we use and beautiful culture that we adapt.

Hearing people

Hearing people know little of deaf culture because the Deaf do not communicate it.

How can they be jealous of something they don't know?

They are not calling you disabled to be mean. They see you are unABLE to hear.. so they say DISabled. Get over it... it's just a word.

If you don't want it to be called a disability then stop taking money or services from agencies placed to help the "Disabled".

Last edited:
The 'Deafness as disabiliy' debate is one of the most interesting of all deafness debates. The 'old guard' deafies dont consider deafness as a disability whilst the younger generation, particularly the "CI" generation, does see deafness as a disability.

Richard

The hearing community doesn't know the entire background on the deaf culture -- some do, but the majority doesn't. Just need some educating. :)

A lot of people are ignorant.

Man, reading that link really depressed me.

What a deficit perspective of Deaf and sign language. Closed minds :tears:

This is really a big issue. As a parent of a deaf child who doesn't have a CI, I talk with many parents and other people about this. I hate the divisions that it's creating. A big part of the problem is that professionals keep lowering the age of the implant, and parents aren't educated about all aspects of deafness. Many have never even heard of a Deaf Community. Their decisions are not even informed decisions. Some Deaf people I've talked to say they fear losing their culture. Considering the fact the CI is really just a glorified hearing aid, I wonder if the Deaf Community would feel as opposed to it if there wasn't such a strong push on the part of professionals to take away using sign language, tearing the child out of the culture. That is something I would hate to see, and I don't believe it will. But when hair cell regeneration comes out, who knows what'll happen.

I don't know what this site is you found this on, the thing that bothered me was the reaction of the person who posted it. People who don't understand Deaf Culture and what it means to the people in it just have no idea. I don't think it comes from meanness, more just not understanding at all. Before my son became deaf, I never knew a deaf person, I never heard of a Deaf Community and Deaf Culture. I wish more people understood.

Sigh.....I just LOVE this debate. I identify somewhat as Deaf...and am SLOWLY learning sign. I want to be fluent in it before I turn 30. At the same time I am also a VERY hardcore "dis rights" advocate (as I have some other issues) I do not see disabilty as a bad thing....and neither do many other dis rights advocates. All disabilty is, is part of the nautral human condition. It should not be equated with inabilty...all disabilty is, is a DIFFERENCE...and not nessarily a "bad" one.
Princess Tabu, I agree with you. Part of the reason why I am against VERY early implantation is b/c parents are still going through the whole grieving process with learning to accept their kid's disabilty. I see SO many parents whose kneejerk reaction is to want to take the route to "fix it and make it all better" so their kids can function as "healthy normal" (whatever THAT means!) kids.

Toonces said:
Hi, I just wanted to share something that I found from a forum....okay, I've been visiting PPGWorld.com, a forum where Powerpuff Girls fans of all ages gather to discuss not only the cartoons but many other things in the real life. What I found is a bit upsettting, especially the hearing people's attitude to the Deafness. Read this and see if you agree with it or not, and perhaps you could go in and straighten it out with the hearing people who certainly don't understand that being Deaf does not mean being Disabled!

Here's the link...http://forums.ppgworld.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=23533[/QUOTE] I came with this situat...y will realize the most expensive consquence!

Thanks for all your replies. I guess it isn't a good idea to get into that forum and argue with them...it probably won't change their opinions. I was pretty upset at how the hearing people view the deafness in a negative way, and yeah, they do need to be educated. I myself do not agree that deaf children should be implanted at such early age. There is nothing wrong with being deaf as long as one is capable of doing anything they can put their mind to. In my opinion, "C.I" is only for late-deafened people (like Rush Limberg). Enough said.

deafdyke said:
Sigh.....I just LOVE this debate. I identify somewhat as Deaf...and am SLOWLY learning sign. I want to be fluent in it before I turn 30. At the same time I am also a VERY hardcore "dis rights" advocate (as I have some other issues) I do not see disabilty as a bad thing....and neither do many other dis rights advocates. All disabilty is, is part of the nautral human condition. It should not be equated with inabilty...all disabilty is, is a DIFFERENCE...and not nessarily a "bad" one.
Princess Tabu, I agree with you. Part of the reason why I am against VERY early implantation is b/c parents are still going through the whole grieving process with learning to accept their kid's disabilty. I see SO many parents whose kneejerk reaction is to want to take the route to "fix it and make it all better" so their kids can function as "healthy normal" (whatever THAT means!) kids.

Deafdyke, I too do not see disability as a bad thing. The word itself implies a limitation in ability, which I don't like, yet that is the pc word that's used these days. They kicked around physically challenged and what not for awhile, but they never stuck. I worked with people with disabilities for close to 20 years, and the focus is always on ability. We don't have to all experience life in the same way, but that doesn't mean there's an order of importance or worth associated with our differences. If we equate people with disabilities as inferior, then what exactly are our values in this world????

I don't think that it should be considered a real serious disability. I know a few people who say it's a disability... so they get handicapped parking. :(

I'm think I'm a not disability but I'm proud of what am I. If you think its wrong, that's fine because its your decision.

So why not we invite PPG members come over AD forum and let read this post?

If a deaf couple claim a right own land of Mars in future. In 1 millions later, All people are Deaf on Mars but a couple got a first hearing baby born. Are we consider a hearing baby become a disability?? :wave:

I don't think so. We are human and no matter what are we and still human!

WhoCare said:
I'm think I'm a not disability but I'm proud of what am I. If you think its wrong, that's fine because its your decision.

So why not we invite PPG members come over AD forum and let read this post?

If a deaf couple claim a right own land of Mars in future. In 1 millions later, All people are Deaf on Mars but a couple got a first hearing baby born. Are we consider a hearing baby become a disability?? :wave:

I don't think so. We are human and no matter what are we and still human!

Did you steal your idea from the play about Eyeth? Where the hearing people are considered diabled? LOL

PrincessTabu said:
Did you steal your idea from the play about Eyeth? Where the hearing people are considered diabled? LOL

Never hear about Eyeth? What is it? Movie or theatre?

I found this site:http://www.eyethfilms.com/. It looks like their goal is to make movies that celebrate Deaf culture and ASL by showing the entire signs instead of chopping them off with the edges of the frames. They said that they were an antithesis of mainstream films that showed deaf people wanting be more Hearing.
They even have pages on a planet they've imagined with only deaf people living there. That'd be an interesting place! :shock:

RedFox

Last edited:
Also i would like to add this.. I hate when if i went to anywhere and ask for pen and paper.. they just freak it out and dont' know what to do deal with me.. i was like come on! don't be freak it out and im not that robbery to do ask for damn PEN and Paper.. gosh.. One time when i go to mcdonalds and i was ask for pen and paper, the lady who works mcdonald, she just freak it out very easy and clumsy.. come up to manager.. the manager think im going to get the money.. i was wtf so i just ask very nice and sign to the manger ... PEN to my hand and write on my hand so Manager was like ooooooooh got me pen and paper.. i was like that's really silly so after that i have to point that ordermenu near cashier it would be much eaiser.. I just wish any store have a ready pen and paper near cashier so i can grab and write it down than ask anybody for pen and paper then freak them out... ughs!

CoolieFroggie said:
Also i would like to add this.. I hate when if i went to anywhere and ask for pen and paper.. they just freak it out and dont' know what to do deal with me.. i was like come on! don't be freak it out and im not that robbery to do ask for damn PEN and Paper.. gosh.. One time when i go to mcdonalds and i was ask for pen and paper, the lady who works mcdonald, she just freak it out very easy and clumsy.. come up to manager.. the manager think im going to get the money.. i was wtf so i just ask very nice and sign to the manger ... PEN to my hand and write on my hand so Manager was like ooooooooh got me pen and paper.. i was like that's really silly so after that i have to point that ordermenu near cashier it would be much eaiser.. I just wish any store have a ready pen and paper near cashier so i can grab and write it down than ask anybody for pen and paper then freak them out... ughs!

It is very understandable...I experienced it billions and billions of time (laughing)...and it is NOTHING new...ur not alone, there are many deaf among us who confront this situation...One time I just blunted (this time I was in bad mood) to one hearing person by saying "U need to go back to K grade school and understand the word meaning of 'pen' and 'paper' simply!" Hearing person was like say huh then gulped. I had to learn to use my coping skills to how to communicate with them...dont holler at them if they dont understand what we are trying to say by gesturing this we are deaf as we want paper and pen. Some hearing people are uneducated about deafness behavior and perspective...smile.

WhoCare said:
Never hear about Eyeth? What is it? Movie or theatre?

It was a play done by the Natl Theatre of the Deaf. I'm trying to think, I saw parts of it on a videotape. I believe it was a planet where everybody used sign language, and they had some people who were very strange because they were constantly moving their mouth! They were in the minority! I think the planet was called Eyeth, you know like EARth, it was EYEth LOL

About "Eyeth" films - you should check them out: EYETH short films

Look for "Earadicators" (VERY funny :giggle: )

And "Destination: Eyeth"

Enjoy! :cool:

EDIT: Oops...:Oops: Forgot to add that you have to register (free) to view those films.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back