Votes: 4 21.1%
  • No but I am interested to learn someday

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • No I have no interest at all

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

DeafCaver

Reaction score
I myself have studied martial arts informally for over 30 years. Right now my present art is Jeet Kune Do. I've had instructors from various arts informally teaching me over a period of weeks or months. Never went to a full-time school but the things I've learned have helped/served me well during various confrontations in my life.

I've known several deaf who are formally instructed MA-ists. One is a BB in TKD (Tae Kwon Do) and another is a Brown Belt in EPAK (Ed Parker's American Kenpo), other deaf I have known have said they studied Ninjitsu but that art by itself can be very iffy on if they are studying the TRUE art or just some hollywood version of the art-form. That art requires verification of lineage of instructors showing who instructed whom and going back to Japan... on paper!
Same with many other arts.

Anyway
Just wondering if there are other deaf (here) who are currently enrolled in a MA school or have studied and what art and what belt/rank you have achieved.
Also why did you study that particular art?

done several years of tae kwon do. hate it. I'm too old and inflexible. Can't even kick higher than my waist. I'm interested in krav maga. There is a krav maga facility in NYC taught by a world renowned teacher who has taught special forces and Israeli soldiers.

The reason I wasn't interested is that one time a karate kid came after me, I took care of him. This must have been 20 years ago.

I currently enrolled in Muay Thai kickboxing. I picked up where I left off seven years ago:) I am not deaf. I picked this style for no particular reason it was being taught in my area. I love kicking and hitting :giggle:

Last edited:
The reason I wasn't interested is that one time a karate kid came after me, I took care of him. This must have been 20 years ago.

the same way that Indiana Jones handled it?

No interest.

No martial art, unless you're ex-military, is going to stop you from getting a glass shard in your rib or a rusty butcherknife in your guts.

My father before I was born, was an unarmed combat instructor in the Army.

He taught me, but I don't know if you count that as a martial art.

My father before I was born, was an unarmed combat instructor in the Army.

He taught me, but I don't know if you count that as a martial art.

yes it does count. all hand-to-hand combats are a revised form of various martial arts. Israeli's is the best.

Aikido for several years. Went from 8 Kyu to 2 Kyu and was preparing for 1st Kyu (next level would've been 1st degree black black which essentially means you're a "serious beginner.") Stopped Aikido to focus and prepare for strongman competitions.

I have no interest. Hubby did Ju Jit Su (sp?) for while. I have a box full of his belts and don't know what order they go in. Since we moved back to Florida, the school he went to is closed (or at least we haven't found it). He wants to get back into it, but money is a problem and he is developing arthritis in his extremeties. (arms, legs, hands, & feet)

My 3 boys did Tae Kwon Do, I attended most all the classes, tournaments and belt testings....they still have their Black Belt Uniforms (Black Belt Club, by invitation only)....and all their belts. I never participated tho', just interesting to watch.

I have no interest. Hubby did Ju Jit Su (sp?) for while. I have a box full of his belts and don't know what order they go in. Since we moved back to Florida, the school he went to is closed (or at least we haven't found it). He wants to get back into it, but money is a problem and he is developing arthritis in his extremeties. (arms, legs, hands, & feet)

jitsu

not sure if I can come in or not....

I took intro karate as part of phys. ed in high school, one of the few sports I enjoyed because it was just me and my LD .

Took much Women's Self Defense in college and really enjoyed it!

Have been studying Tai Chi for several years, considered "soft" martial art, til you get into stuff liked swords, which I am nowhere near. I've taken classes but have ended up w/classmate assisting me as friend one-on-one due to finances; he has done Sword.

Have tried Systema and Krav- really liked Krav. Am very interested in Shaolin Kung Fu.

I really enjoy the martial arts

would love to get into some form of hand to hand combat im looking into the choices at the moment.(money and wheelchairs are the issuses).

would love to get into some form of hand to hand combat im looking into the choices at the moment.(money and wheelchairs are the issuses).

I read that even if you're on wheelchair, you can still perform krav maga. Same for little kid and old people.

I read that even if you're on wheelchair, you can still perform krav maga. Same for little kid and old people.

When I had the good fortune of attending a Wing Chun (Kung Fu) seminar a few years ago I met a guy who was in a wheelchair, he was paralyzed from lower chest down. He could still fight from his chair and he was blindingly fast. I got to practice with him on a particular technique. I couldn't quite get the hang of it, felt a tap on my shoulder and the person giving the talk for the day was offering to show me how.
This particular gentleman was none-other than Yip-Sing... his father was Yip-Man... the same gentleman who instructed Bruce Lee when he was a boy/teenager in China. Master Sing had taken a few moments to show me how to do the technique he was demonstrating personally.
I thought the guy in the wheelchair was fast but this 80+ year old man managed to hit (tap) me before I could blink, for a few minutes I tried hitting him and blocking his punches... I couldn't do either.
The guy in the wheelchair who had been studying Wing Chun for years looked at me in awe and I was like... uhh... what? He said that it's very rare for a Master to let a student practice on them and to actually touch and learn directly from them instead of other instructors showing what the Master was talking about... Me: "oh...uh... cool... I guess."

But basically anyone can learn a Martial Art to suit their needs and abilities. All Martial Arts have their pluses and minuses. To say that one art is better than another is like comparing cars, microwaves, computers, movies, songs, dances, guns, dogs... whatever! All arts have their strong and weak points. Usually everyone who does a serious study and research can find an Martial Art that best suits them.
I used to do TKD but found out that now it's not effective anymore for ME to use it. I cannot kick like I used to (used to be able to double tap someone's head with my foot). So I use other arts that I have learned to do what I need to do. This is the beauty of JKD as it has "no style" which was what Bruce Lee was aiming for when he invented it.

Keep on with the posts, glad there is a good response to this thread.

When I was a kid, I did go to Karate classes once a week after school.

Mod's Note:

Thread's moved to proper location.

Back