Deaf man shot

josey

Reaction score
Ark. sheriff's deputy fatally shoots armed deaf man

CLINTON, Ark. (AP) — A deaf man was fatally shot after aiming a shotgun at authorities despite being given hand signals to lower his weapon, the sheriff said.

Sammy E. Thompson, 38, died Sunday at a Little Rock hospital. He was shot earlier that day when deputies responded to a domestic disturbance call at Thompson's home, Van Buren County Sheriff Scott Bradley said Monday.

The sheriff said Thompson may have been suicidal, based on his behavior during the standoff and information provided by his wife, Brenda Thompson, who also is deaf. She said he had been drinking.

"He had mentioned to her ... that if he shot himself, he was afraid he wouldn't go to heaven," Bradley said. "He thought if he got someone else to do it, he'd still go to heaven."

Bradley said Thompson put his weapon on the driveway and took four or five steps away from it. But he soon ran back to his gun, picked it up, placed it on his shoulder, and aimed at the deputy, who fired, authorities said.The deputy who made the fatal shot was placed on administrative leave pending an investigation.

That is called " Suicide by cop "

F.Y.I. anytime somebody commits suicide they go straight to hell. God never asked nobody to take their own life. Suicide is strictly satan's work.

Yeah, that's right. How sad !

The only problem : How would the cop know if, she/he is deaf ?

Heath said:

F.Y.I. anytime somebody commits suicide they go straight to hell. God never asked nobody to take their own life. Suicide is strictly satan's work.

If a person is a Christian and commits suicide, there is nothing on either side in the Bible that states as such, Heath. However, I would still side with the fact that this person knew Christ as Saviour, but for whatever reason, wasn't able to be in control of their life and decided to end it. I believe that God would ask the person, "Why are you here early?"

I do agree, though, Heath, that this is "suicide by cop" as you said. I feel sorry for the man because he felt that no one could help him; I feel sorry for the cop because he/she didn't go into work that day thinking, "I'm going to kill someone today because they'd rather have me kill them than them to commit suicide." If a person wants to kill themselves, leave the police out of it...get help instead, okay?

CyberRed said:
Yeah, that's right. How sad !

The only problem : How would the cop know if, she/he is deaf ?

From the article, CyberRed, the man was given hand signals, so they had to have known. This is a very sad story...a permanent solution for a temporary problem.

Sad, it reminds me of a deaf man that got shot by cop in tennessee. He was trying to make sign while hes trying to waving in the air but the cop ignored him and shot him.

Thats so sad!

That remind me of Deaf, Black man got shot by the police in Detroit which he is innocent. Thats sooo sad!

Heath said:

Yeah, obviously. Sad. That one did right by the cop.

Detriot cop shot the deaf man by mistake not knowing he was deaf firsthand, I think. Not too sure.

Letter from Sammy's best friend to Community

This man, Sammy Thompson, is my second cousin. I loved him very much since we grew up close. Our family has not had much contact with him since he moved to Arkansas, and this was a complete shock to learn this through the news! This is a letter that Sammy's best friend wrote to the community there in Clinton. I thought you all might like to read it also. It will help you understand the situation a little more. I loved Sammy and my whole family is very shook up over this loss. But God is helping us with the special comfort that only He can give. Please remember all of Sammy's family in your thoughts and prayers, especially his wife, children, and father. By the way, if anyone can help me, I'm trying to find his obituary online. All I've found so far is 2 different articles on the incident (although posted on MANY sites!) Thanks for the help and prayers...

March 12th, 2006

Dear Editor,

The Thompson Family would like to publish an article to thank the community for the outpouring of love and compassion after the death of Mr. Sammy Thompson. He passed away on March 5th 2006 from an inflicted gunshot wound. The family would like to reach out toward the community and share their thoughts with them. The family also felt the desire to share several important facts relating to Sammy’s death because the local news became a national news, reaching many deaf readers. There seem to be some degree of outrage and confusion as to what really happened and why it was necessary for the deputy to kill instead of injuring a deaf individual, especially when the quality of communication were obviously poor. The family realize that such issue is extremely sensitive therefore they wish to seek a closure based on facts. More importantly the family feels this way because Sammy has always believed in the importance of integrity.

To make a long story short, without leaving out important facts the family wish to say that Sammy suffered from multiple health problems including but not limited to liver failure, troubled heart, brain disorder, and alcoholic addictions. More recently he was diagnosed with severe case of gout. Apparently the combination of disappointing news regarding his health in the recent months were enough to cause major problems for him. Recently he experienced a panic attack for the first time due to depression. He began to seek professional help and received medication needs for his depression and health problems. He took medicines for two months however it seem to work against him and his body, we suspect because he was consuming alcoholic beverages at the same time. Shortly afterwards Sammy began to act out and develop a series of emotional outbursts, which he could not explain after the side-effect wears out. Each time he would become even more discouraged and find himself on his knees bursting out with tears in his eyes and asked for forgiveness from his family. For some reason the whole ordeal went beyond him and his ability to comprehend. He continued to struggle and the more he tried to do something about it the more depressed he became. Ultimately he managed to keep the problem to himself and has refused to seek professional help for the fear he would end up being locked up some where away from his family and his home. However that’s when he started to open up and confided into few of his trusted friends, that of his wife, his father and his very good friend, me. He made sure that we were aware of his problem and advised us of dangers associated with his drinking patterns and pains that he has experienced in his body. When he was feeling stable he would advise us of warning signs in case he would begin to act out again. He told us that he felt like a very old man but he was only 38 years old. He said that his time was short and that he was finished. The family knew that he was totally against suicide therefore it was not the first thing on our mind. But yet he did not know how to end his own suffering. Eventually his emotion and his drinking problems got the best of him at the very end.

The statement that the family wanted to make to the community is that he was a very good man, a man of integrity. He loved God and was very sincere in his effort to serve him and others. He was never abusive throughout his married years. He did not have anything against the police or any type of law enforcements. He was proud of his nation, his country and have always wanted to serve in the military but due to his deafness he was not eligible. People who knew him knows that he is highly intelligent and is very capable of communicating with just about anybody through gestures and body language. For that reason we knew that there were no misunderstanding going on between him and the deputies that were working hard to find common grounds in order to resolve peacefully. If there is anybody that truly understand gestures and body language it is Sammy. Indeed what happened is very unfortunate but the family has no doubt about Sammy’s desire to retire from this morale life in order to live his next life.

Additionally Sammy has always said he’d love to die fighting for a noble cause, fighting for what he believes in. It has never occurred to the family and his friend that he would view the recent incident as a noble cause because there was nothing noble about getting into a gun fight with the police. There was nothing noble about hitting a wife. Quitting on life was not noble either. The family knows that Sammy knows that as well. Therefore the family came down to a final conclusion. Sammy did not want to be taken away from the family whom he loved with his whole heart, mind and soul. He could not tolerate the idea of being in jail or being kept in a mental hospital for any period of time. Instead he would rather die than to be taken away from his family and his home against his will. Evidently that in itself was enough of a noble cause for him to make his own stand in the stand-off with the law enforcement, which ended his life.

Therefore the family is seeking a peaceful closure to this matter. Based on integrity, it is the family’s wish to relieve the Law Enforcement Officers from the burden and guilt. They had no choice but to assume the burden while they were on duty. The family feel for the Law Enforcement Officers that were there to witness such tragedy, never mind who pulled the trigger. In order to preserve the integrity of our country, our community and our values the family wanted to give everybody a chance to get to know Sammy. Reputation and integrity meant everything to Sammy therefore the family has no doubt about the statement that they are making.

And lastly, the family would like to thank the entire community for the outpouring of sympathy, love and compassion. It was overwhelming but it gave the family a new faith in life and human beings. The family feels that Clinton is a model community therefore the family is grateful to be a part of it.

Sincerely,

Barry Sewell

I certainly hope the police department are high-fiving each other for this (legalized) murder and smiling broadly. My condolences to the family.

pek1 said:
If a person is a Christian and commits suicide, there is nothing on either side in the Bible that states as such, Heath. However, I would still side with the fact that this person knew Christ as Saviour, but for whatever reason, wasn't able to be in control of their life and decided to end it. I believe that God would ask the person, "Why are you here early?"

I do agree, though, Heath, that this is "suicide by cop" as you said. I feel sorry for the man because he felt that no one could help him; I feel sorry for the cop because he/she didn't go into work that day thinking, "I'm going to kill someone today because they'd rather have me kill them than them to commit suicide." If a person wants to kill themselves, leave the police out of it...get help instead, okay?
I agree.

I feel sorry for the cops that made that decision.

When I die, I turn into worm food.

I feel sorry for this sick man, I do not belive he will go to hell
if their is a hell god will take into account that he was sick and mostlikealy did not know what he was dooing at the time.
that cop for the rest of his life is going to think is their anymore i could have done?

their is allways more then you see in the news, but these police offices did try and it is obvioys he understod their hand signals by puting the gun down once , it is truly sad that he died.

Back