Deaf man missing in New Zealand

HoneyShot

Reaction score
I haven't posted in ages (I've been really busy) but I just thought I'd come share this news item from here in New Zealand. I sure hope they find him soon...

link to article posted below

Search underway for deaf man

A search is underway for a deaf man lost in a forest area north of Napier.

Trent Bell went missing while baiting possum traps for the Department of Conservation at Boundary Stream near Tutira yesterday.

Napier Senior Sergeant John Lovatt says the 24-year-old is profoundly deaf and only lightly clad.

A party of 15 search and rescue volunteers, police and DOC staff will begin the search shortly.

Mr Lovatt says the man has probably spent an uncomfortable night in the forest but they are not overly concerned for his safety at this stage.

© 2004 Newstalk ZB News

he was proably kidnapped or got killed by a bear or something, etc...

NZ doesn't have any bears does it? since you mention he was in a forest...so who knows?

Ok, this will be a short thread! He's been found alive! :applause: They didn't say much yet, but he's alive and found already. Apearently an insight for the searchers, learning that to search effectively they needed to look extra carefully and make themselves visable, not just yell for him as they looked, like they often do for hearies! I'm so glad they found him, there have been a few people lately that died or were never found when they got lost in these parks.

No, you were right steel, we don't have bears! No predators that might eat people at all, except the occational shark. Although there is a type of bird here called Kia who often like to take cars to bits. They're destructive little menaces in national parks, they rip bits off parked busses and cars so they fall apart!

:applause: Yayies, glad they found the deaf bloke, phew! :D At first, when I saw this thread, thought it was one of my few mates who live in NZ...that name doesn't ring a bell with me anyhow.
Just am glad that he's alive and OK. :)

He's fine. Trent is an experienced bush worker and can survive as long as he wants in the bush.

He walked out in the morning which indicated he knew what he was doing. Most likely someone got paranoid since he's Deaf... I get often told... "Wow - can Deaf actually hike by themselves without a hearing person." LOL

The NZ Bush/Forests/Mountains are harsh to any newbie who gets lost. You can survive a night out in the Colorado Mountians (the snow is in dry form) whereas - surviving a night on a Mountian in NZ is dicey unless you have the right equipment to prevent Hyperthermia (the snow is in wet form).

NZers are often taught simple survival skills which can save our lives when in the bush.

I've tried getting myself lost in the past... I will find my way out LOL

Anyone popping into NZ on their way to Australia, gimme a buzz...

Glady Deaf man was saved and found.. Settled it.. No more BUSH! (CHUCKLES)

I have not visited in NZ b4..
NZ is winter this time ??? *curiouis* (off topic)

Back