Deaf man flees home, hit by train

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
A deaf and mentally disabled man was killed last night when he slipped away from a state-run group home in Chelsea and was hit by a train at a nearby subway station, cops said.
The unidentified 39-year-old man had a habit of sneaking away, but aides would usually find him at the 23rd St. subway station, police said.

When he was discovered missing last night, an aide went to the station, arriving just as train struck the man. The station is only a block from the home, which is in a five-story brick building at 120 24th St., between Seventh and Eighth Aves.

Once the victim reached the station, he apparently lowered himself onto the tracks and crawled into a narrow space under the northbound platform, police said. Because he was deaf, he apparently didn't hear the approaching No. 3 train that hit him just after 6 p.m.

The man had lived at the group home since 1981, and while he had sneaked away before, he had never wandered onto the tracks, police said.

The group home is run by the state's Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities. Officials at the home refused to comment last night.

When I was just reading what happened. As this thought popped up in my mind, I remember the history of popularity in the eastern, that many deaf ppl wld be killed by the train, how? When it was so raining, and pouring. The mud wld just cover the tracks...many deafies wld just walk on it and doesn't even know, even not be able to hear when the trains comes. So they wld be likely to get killed everyday, but now...as this new...its reducing which thats good.

Back