Deaf man fights off home invader

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Deaf man fights off home invader | Geelong, VIC, Australia

A DEAF man who fought off an intruder to his Norlane home with a plank of wood yesterday was "a decent bloke" who was defending his property, according to neighbours.

Police said the 47-year-old man, who has limited speech due to a hearing impairment, confronted an intruder at the rear of his Station St home and chased him down the driveway and on to the street.

Detective Leading Senior Constable Anthony Reyntjes of Geelong Criminal Investigation Unit said in addition to hitting the intruder over the head with a fence paling, it appeared the homeowner had tried to stab the man in the shoulder with a small knife.

Another police officer at the scene said the man had suffered only a "tiny, tiny" stab wound but serious head injuries.

The incident occurred about 10.45am, with separate altercations taking place at both the back and front of the house, Sen-Constable Reyntjes said.

Police had recovered the wooden plank and knife from the front of the man's home, he said.

A 42-year-old man has been taken to hospital by ambulance, Sen-Constable Reyntjes said.

The homeowner was taken to Geelong police station to provide a statement, he said.

Neighbours of the Norlane homeowner said he was someone who did not cause trouble.

"He's a very good bloke; he's decent, very decent," a worker at a wrecking yard across the road from the man's home said.

"He often keeps an eye on our yard for us and he's really honest and reliable. He's smart too, very handy and capable."

Another neighbour, Irene, said she had lived in the same house in the same street for 53 years and believed it was "a man's right to defend his property".

"Your home is your castle and I think you should be able to defend it," Irene said.

"I might be a bit old-fashioned but I think if you haven't invited someone into your home, they shouldn't come in."

Another neighbour, Terry Vince, said it was rare for there to be trouble in Station St, which was both an industrial and residential area.

"Except for the noise of the traffic, it's usually pretty quiet here," Mr Vince said.

"I've never seen so many police cars in one place at one time."

A spokesperson for Barwon Health said the 42-year-old man was in a serious but stable condition in Geelong Hospital.

Police were last night expected to charge the 42-year-old in relation to the incident.

"Your home is your castle and I think you should be able to defend it," Irene said.

Amen to that.

Well. Guess the intruder found out real quick that he was not welcome. Kudos, to the home owner for defending his home.

Back