Deaf man attacked for smoking at bus station

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
icWales - Deaf man attacked for smoking at bus station

A DEAF man was beaten up at Cardiff central bus station for smoking a cigarette.

Police have praised a member of the public who realised he was on the same bus as the man suspected of attacking the 56-year-old and called 999 from his mobile phone.

The incident happened at stand B1 of the bus station at around 4.15pm on Tuesday when the victim, who is profoundly deaf, was smoking a cigarette.

Someone stood behind him in the shelter asked him to stop smoking but because the man, who is from Canton, Cardiff, has hearing difficulties he did not respond.

He was then attacked, knocked to the floor, kicked and punched.

He was taken to the University Hospital of Wales for treatment while his attacker fled from the scene on the 12b bus towards Riverside, Cardiff. A passenger believing he was on the same bus as the attacker got off at a bus stop on Ninian Park Road and contacted police.

The bus was stopped minutes later and a 35-year-old from Ely was arrested on suspicion of assault.

Police are appealing for witnesses to what they have described as an “unprovoked attack” and are keen to trace an American or Canadian woman who was at the bus stand.

Smoking has been banned in bus shelters since the all-Wales ban which came into force in April.

Anyone with information should contact police on 029 2022 2111 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

*sigh* That person is completely retard, I bet that person will feel very stupid to hit without knowing that man was deaf. :roll: Why can't hearing people just simple tapping on their shoulder?

*sigh* That person is completely retard, I bet that person will feel very stupid to hit without knowing that man was deaf. :roll: Why can't hearing people just simple tapping on their shoulder?

Hearies always seem to assume if they don't get a response, people are just being rude and ignoring them. They never stop tothink that maybe a person is not rude--THEY JUST DIDN'T HEAR! And to beat someone up over a cigarrette is just ridiculas! I hope this poor guy wasn't hurt too badly. It was good that the other guy called the police, but I wonder, why do people just stand there and watch it happen?

Hearies always seem to assume if they don't get a response, people are just being rude and ignoring them. They never stop tothink that maybe a person is not rude--THEY JUST DIDN'T HEAR! And to beat someone up over a cigarrette is just ridiculas! I hope this poor guy wasn't hurt too badly. It was good that the other guy called the police, but I wonder, why do people just stand there and watch it happen?

The hearing person should - just tap on the shoulder, if the person assumed that the person is deaf, but I bet they didn't know about deafness....they are just idiots.. I hope they get punished on what they did to the man...

The hearing person should - just tap on the shoulder, if the person assumed that the person is deaf, but I bet they didn't know about deafness....they are just idiots.. I hope they get punished on what they did to the man...

Yes.

This incident reminds me of one in Singapore

Few years ago, there was one serious unacceptable case - Tan Chun Seng :rl: who was sentenced to death for bludgeoning a deaf-mute indian man to death.

The victim was doing his shopping in Little India street for his daugther's upcoming birthday. He was walking with alot of shopping bags along Desker Road. This incident was taken place in this area. He did not know that Tan Chun Seng shouted in foul language at him. Tan Chun Seng approached him in fury manner. He pushed the victim at parked vehicle and started violent fight that landed the victim death. :pissed:

What a pity! He missed his celebrating his beloved hearing daughter's birthday.

Back