Deaf intuition?

asongofhands

Reaction score
I'm curious how many Deaf can recognize that another person is Deaf even if that person is not signing. Is it in the eyes? The mouth? Something else?

Or the fact that it's such a small world I know them all?

Not really. It didn't work for me. LOL I think I have been around hearing people so long. I know what you mean. But recently I was in the elevator, and the Deaf guy but he was born in other country and moved to USA. He did learn ASL as what I see, and he signs pretty good for learning ASL very recently. Back to that point, He keeps staring at me, and I wasn't comfortable but I sense something else but wasn't sure. Then other Deaf lady showed up in the elevator, and I know her in our same building where we work there. SO we both signed, then the Deaf guy said, " oh you both are Deaf." It dawns on me that he is Deaf. No wonder.

Deafies do stare a lot...:giggle:...trying to read lips I'm guessing...and deafies are constantly looking around...dunno if this helps...:giggle:...they are too quiet also (among hearies)...:hmm:

I can't tell if someone's deaf or hearing unless I see a C.I. or a H.A. attached... :laugh2: I do stare a lot though... and yes, it's namely lip reading... God, now that I think about it I probably look like a creeper... lol!

I can't tell if someone's deaf or hearing unless I see a C.I. or a H.A. attached... :laugh2: I do stare a lot though... and yes, it's namely lip reading... God, now that I think about it I probably look like a creeper... lol!

I probably look like one too! I stare at everyone ALOT! I've even had people ask me what my problem was... Oops :giggle:

I once had a stranger notice, or he let me know that he noticed, I suppose people notice they just don't don't normally point it out.....anyway he stopped in the middle of talking and asked "are you reading my lips?" Me:"yes, how did you know?" Him: "you're staring at my mouth"

Frankly I was just glad he didn't think I wanted him to kiss me :eek3:

I think in general we are just more observant. A lot of people talk and gossip away all the while missing so many things around them. Attention elsewhere.

I once had a stranger notice, or he let me know that he noticed, I suppose people notice they just don't don't normally point it out.....anyway he stopped in the middle of talking and asked "are you reading my lips?" Me:"yes, how did you know?" Him: "you're staring at my mouth"

Frankly I was just glad he didn't think I wanted him to kiss me :eek3:

:laugh2::laugh2: I'd have been concerned with him thinking that too! :laugh2::laugh2: I had a friend of mine the other day ask me the first thing I notice feature wise on people, and I said their teeth. I'm not sure if that's because gross teeth scare me... or if it's the lip reading! :laugh2: Maybe both! I've seen people point at me in Walmart ( God I hate Walmart ) and wisper to each other things that I'm pretty sure pertained to me signing. Now I'm going to have to start playing "where's Waldo" with deaf people dammit! :laugh2: I'll get back to everyone and let you know the results. :P lol

I probably look like one too! I stare at everyone ALOT! I've even had people ask me what my problem was... Oops :giggle:

I'd be like "My problem is you're not enunciating." If you'd speak more clearly, I wouldn't have to stare as hard. " Of course, I'm terribly blunt and direct like that, so it might not get a reaction most would be ready to deal with. :laugh2:

Back