Deaf Internation Sign Language

Sorry, there is NO international sign language.....

....nor can there be. Not all languages have the same language base.

Let me explain......A few years back, my wife worked in a deaf ed school. Her coworker was the wife of a missionary to Korea, recently back from Korea.

Now, for some background information.....Until the second world war, deaf Koreans had no common sign system so when the Japanese took over the Koren peninsula, they brought their (Japanese) signs to teach the Korean deaf.

Thus, the missionary wife entered a class room. There sat a young deaf Korean student.

Now here come in the "rub".

The teacher did a Korean sign, signed similar to ASL "dirty" or "pig", which, in Korean sign, meant "How old are you?".

The student replied, brandishing a fist with an outstretched middle finger. (not a nice sign in America or in some ASL communities) which told the teacher that her student was "13" years of age!

See, you learned a new sign for another foreign language. GRIN

....nor can there be. Not all languages have the same language base.

Let me explain......A few years back, my wife worked in a deaf ed school. Her coworker was the wife of a missionary to Korea, recently back from Korea.

Now, for some background information.....Until the second world war, deaf Koreans had no common sign system so when the Japanese took over the Koren peninsula, they brought their (Japanese) signs to teach the Korean deaf.

Thus, the missionary wife entered a class room. There sat a young deaf Korean student.

Now here come in the "rub".

The teacher did a Korean sign, signed similar to ASL "dirty" or "pig", which, in Korean sign, meant "How old are you?".

The student replied, brandishing a fist with an outstretched middle finger. (not a nice sign in America or in some ASL communities) which told the teacher that her student was "13" years of age!

See, you learned a new sign for another foreign language. GRIN

This is getting embarrassing. "Gestuno" is the name of the international sign language developed in the 1970's.

You seem to be a mine of misinformation.

Gestuno?

Look at Wikipedia.......No wonder few people ever see it being practiced with its "limited" vocabulary.

Where does one go to learn it? Can you identify its authorship?

In today's modern, scientific world, I feel it has met its match and will s-l-o-w-l-y fade into disuse and be only a bubble in the sea of time and history.

But, I encourage you to learn it if only for your amusement.

To whom will you be able to share or communicate?

Any educational pursuit is to be honored and so I honor you!

Look at Wikipedia.......No wonder few people ever see it being practiced with its "limited" vocabulary.

Where does one go to learn it? Can you identify its authorship?

In today's modern, scientific world, I feel it has met its match and will s-l-o-w-l-y fade into disuse and be only a bubble in the sea of time and history.

But, I encourage you to learn it if only for your amusement.

To whom will you be able to share or communicate?

Any educational pursuit is to be honored and so I honor you!
No worse than Esperanto.

No worse than Esperanto.

I was thinking the same thing. It's a cool idea in theory (the linguistic Switzerland), but so much of language is bound up in the culture. Making one communication system for everybody presupposes that we all have access to the same ways of knowing and being. Besides, since it's a synthetic language, all this other stuff comes up, like where the vocabulary derives from, and how that influences (either directly or indirectly) the worldview, gender orientations, etc. etc.

Back