Deaf in the Militaryn (Video - Subtitled)

No, I'm not an alcoholic, but I'm the daughter of one, and have other family members who are, including one who is a member of AA.

However, I and my husband are retired members of the military, so I do know what I'm talking about in regards to the military environment.

But of course, I don't expect you to know, since you are not military yourself....

Just saying.

I would love to meet them at Alcoholic Anonymous meetings :)

Your family members. Of course, we know that won't happen. I live in Prague anyways.

Na shledanou, dívka!

Your family members. Of course, we know that won't happen. I live in Prague anyways.

Na shledanou, dívka!
My dad is deceased; liver disease from drinking.

According to AA rules you wouldn't know them anyway.

You never know where some of my family members might show up. :)

huh? i thought you lived in VA?

I was born here in Europe, but my parents decided to go it all out in DC metropolis area. Good jobs there.

The reason I posted this "Northern Virginia" status was because I was afraid that you deaf Americans would reject us deaf Europeans. I wasn't sure at first so thus I experimented. So I really didn't know, since you all seem to be friendly.

I was raised near DC throughout high school years. But after college at RIT, GMU... I was fed up and left back to my homeland because I couldn't handle the American culture. I lived only 20-25 miles away from Washington D.C. and i was tired of the spiral crap.

So yeah there you go. But soon I discovered that it isn't so much different from DC, haha...Such an irony, but I would rather live and die here though.

I was born here in Europe, but my parents decided to go it all out in DC metropolis area. Good jobs there.

The reason I posted this "Northern Virginia" status was because I was afraid that you deaf Americans would reject us deaf Europeans. I wasn't sure at first so thus I experimented. So I really didn't know, since you all seem to be friendly.

I was raised near DC throughout high school years. But after college at RIT, GMU... I was fed up and left back to my homeland because I couldn't handle the American culture. I lived only 20-25 miles away from Washington D.C. and i was tired of the spiral crap.

So yeah there you go. But soon I discovered that it isn't so much different from DC, haha...Such an irony, but I would rather live and die here though.

cool. so you were born in czech? not sloviaka?

cool. so you were born in czech? not sloviaka?

Actually. I was born in Vienna. But then we moved to Prague for a while. And so we departed to Washington DC where my dad ended up in Navy Militarism during the golden age of Reagan years (He permitted glasses wearing code, so...)

I'm surprised that you would know this geographical quiz. Most people don't know Czech apart from Slovakia.

Most Americans are geographically idiots (no offense to those, sorry...), as I have noticed. So I am surprised that you asked. I praise your skills! :)

Now I have more respect for you than ever. Heh!

Actually. I was born in Vienna. But then we moved to Prague for a while. And so we departed to Washington DC where my dad ended up in Navy Militarism during the golden age of Reagan years (He permitted glasses wearing code, so...)

I'm surprised that you would know this geographical quiz. Most people don't know Czech apart from Slovakia.

Most Americans are geographically idiots (no offense to those, sorry...), as I have noticed. So I am surprised that you asked. I praise your skills! :)

Now I have more respect for you than ever. Heh!

LOL. no no I am cheating.. why? I am part of slovakian. :P my grandma was born there. Until 1993, people asked me, i have to tell the specific is slovakia. :D Sad, i do not know much about it.

My dad is deceased; liver disease from drinking.

According to AA rules you wouldn't know them anyway.

You never know where some of my family members might show up. :)

I will probably die from liver disease. Here in Prague, there are too many temptations. I have been diagnosed by Czech doctor, which confirmed that I have fatty liver disease. I am sure that you are familiar with that medical condition. It is a pre-cirrhosis stage. I am pretty sure that saywhatkid wanted me dead badly haha.

But I'm not worried at all. I am happy and contained. Just live your life to the fullest.

"According to AA rules you wouldn't know them anyway."? How do you mean by that? I know every step by heart. Have you ever attended to a meeting...?

Ummm... Okayyyy... So you say. :)

Last edited:
I will probably die from liver disease. Here in Prague, there are too many temptations. I have been diagnosed by Czech doctor, which confirmed that I have fatty liver disease. I am sure that you are familiar with that medical condition. It is a pre-cirrhosis stage. I am pretty sure that saywhatkid wanted me dead badly haha.

But I'm not worried at all. I am happy and contained. Just live your life to the fullest.
As an alcoholic, my dad's final years were not very "full." Liver disease is no fun, and he suffered from DT's and paranoia.

"According to AA rules you wouldn't know them anyway."? How do you mean by that? I know every step by heart. Have you ever attended to a meeting...?
It's the confidentiality rule of the meetings. Members use first names only, so people don't usually know their relationships.

Yes.

I always dream of joining military.

If I was hearing, I'd probably kill a million enemies off the face of earth. Also, it would help me with sobriety.

That would be scary if you plan on killing a million enemies off the face of the Earth. You would become sick in your head if you do that. I am sure you would probably be ended up in the mental hospital for going crazy about killing people for the sheer pleasure for doing this. We have enough over here in USA and other countries like here in Canada. We truly want peace and trying to get along with people from different countries. It is not easy but we need peace more than anything in the world. Our planet Earth is a sick world having too much war and revolution just because a government or someone in power don't agree with our peaceful friendship.

Ummm... Okayyyy... So you say. :)

Reba is correct on the liver disease from having too much drinking. Liquor is poison to the body if you continue to drink. The AA rules never mention about the bad effects of alcohol which can cause death and serious suffering with pain and paranoid (cause is from too much toxic in the liver which it is damage that can make the person see strange things out of nothing that was not there). It would have been more simple if the AA could have mention that in the AA book. For me, I was an Al-non living with my husband as an alcoholic who took it hard when he got sick almost about over ten years ago. He just passed away last June of 2012. He was terribly sick with this. So it is no picnic having to see him go through his sickness. He really want to live for a very long time and he enjoy life a lot but he was not aware of alcohol as poison back then and had realized that it was too late to do anything about it. So there, you really don't know anything much about AA. What about the people in your group that can give you and them the reality of the alcohol that can cause damage to their bodies. :(

Reba is correct on the liver disease from having too much drinking. Liquor is poison to the body if you continue to drink. The AA rules never mention about the bad effects of alcohol which can cause death and serious suffering with pain and paranoid (cause is from too much toxic in the liver which it is damage that can make the person see strange things out of nothing that was not there). It would have been more simple if the AA could have mention that in the AA book. For me, I was an Al-non living with my husband as an alcoholic who took it hard when he got sick almost about over ten years ago. He just passed away last June of 2012. He was terribly sick with this. So it is no picnic having to see him go through his sickness. He really want to live for a very long time and he enjoy life a lot but he was not aware of alcohol as poison back then and had realized that it was too late to do anything about it. So there, you really don't know anything much about AA. What about the people in your group that can give you and them the reality of the alcohol that can cause damage to their bodies. :(

Your statement seems somewhat contradictory. "If I don't really know anything much about ALCOHOLIC anonymous" then that either essentially means I'm NOT alcoholic, or an alcoholic who has not yet found his way.

The point of AA is to discuss our problems. People do have relapses. It is this reason why its called Alcoholic ANONYMOUS.

The FIRST STEP is THIS:

"We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable."

If you embrace this step, then you belong to them. It is the question of which step you are on.

Sorry about your husband, I'm sure that has been tough on you.

Reba is correct on the liver disease from having too much drinking. Liquor is poison to the body if you continue to drink. The AA rules never mention about the bad effects of alcohol which can cause death and serious suffering with pain and paranoid (cause is from too much toxic in the liver which it is damage that can make the person see strange things out of nothing that was not there)....
Very true. It was heartbreaking when I would visit him in the hospital and he sometimes didn't know who I was, wouldn't remember that I visited him, and would see other people in the room with us when there was no one there. :(

He was so paranoid that he used a hidden voice-activated recorder for every conversation, and kept all lights on 24 hours per day, including the one in the oven. He kept claiming government agents were after him. (He worked for the military and federal government, so this was very unnerving.) He once had to be put off a plane, half way from the East coast to the West because of his behavior, combined with throwing up blood (this was pre-9/11). We didn't know that he was in a hospital in the Midwest for weeks.

He made good money during his career, and had a nice retirement pension but he drank it all away.

As an alcoholic, my dad's final years were not very "full." Liver disease is no fun, and he suffered from DT's and paranoia.

It's the confidentiality rule of the meetings. Members use first names only, so people don't usually know their relationships.

Yes.

Lukin is my first name... Though I don't like the name myself because of its meaning roots.

I must have missed this post.

Sorry to hear about your dad.

Very true. It was heartbreaking when I would visit him in the hospital and he sometimes didn't know who I was, wouldn't remember that I visited him, and would see other people in the room with us when there was no one there. :(

He was so paranoid that he used a hidden voice-activated recorder for every conversation, and kept all lights on 24 hours per day, including the one in the oven. He kept claiming government agents were after him. (He worked for the military and federal government, so this was very unnerving.) He once had to be put off a plane, half way from the East coast to the West because of his behavior, combined with throwing up blood (this was pre-9/11). We didn't know that he was in a hospital in the Midwest for weeks.

He made good money during his career, and had a nice retirement pension but he drank it all away.

I am so sorry. :tears: :sadwave:

I have very mixed feelings about this and of course they are just my opinion. I have 22 years in the military which I incurred my profound hearing loss and extreme tinnitus from. During my last 6 years of service I had to wear hearing aids. My supervisors wanted me out because they though I would be a serious safetly concern and didnt think I was combat capable therefore deployable. Everyone in the military has a root job and that is to pick up the weapon they were trained for and kill if necesary. Doesnt matter what job it is, even the chaplain or DR knows that they may have to pick up that weapon for self defense or to defend there fellow soldiers when the enemy comes bearing down on you. You need to hear the orders without seeing the person giving the orders. You need to hear the words incoming, or grenade or fire in the hole without seeing the person giving the command. Everyone is also trained on how to use the radio-cant ASL on the radio.

There are many, many jobs out there that are civilian and support the military so I think that is a much better fit for the HOH and DEAF.

I had 22 years in the service and on the last excersie mission I had we had to dawn gas masks where visiblity is limited and the hood of the mask caused great feedback from my hearing aids. The sweat also caused them to malfunction because MOPP 4 is very hot to be in when the outside temp is 90 degres or above. I couldnt bark my orders to my troops and I coudnt heare the incoming messages on the radio. thats when i made the descision to leave the military because I knew this would not work in a combat situation. i retired at 22 years instead of the 30 I wanted-I was very, very sad.

I applaud ROTC for giving this a try though.

Yes.

my mom is very alchoholic is very really heavy really lots of rough sadly I truth. I
I grow up with my parents I breakheart to my mom. is she younger.

sorry your feeeling grief I understood I share to word on my personal my mom I don't understand odd on my mom is heavy on alcholoic damage liver and heart attack it is happened serious. she addiction alcholic . I am surprised I am shocked.. I notice my mom I am accept to . mom is very really not well. I told to my mom is very didn't listen to me. I disappointment. I understood. but my father is okay. my dad is knew wise bit difficult.relationship I disappointment to feeling I wish be to see to my mom. I want to accept to know feeling in my heart!

Yes.

my mom is very alchoholic is very really heavy really lots of rough sadly I truth. I
I grow up with my parents I breakheart to my mom. is she younger.

sorry your feeeling grief I understood I share to word on my personal my mom I don't understand odd on my mom is heavy on alcholoic damage liver I am accept to . mom is very really not well. I told to my mom is very didn't listen to me. I disappointment. I understood. but my father is okay. my dad is knew wise bit difficult.relationship I disappointment to feeling I wish be to see to my mom. I want to accept to know feeling in my heart!

I notice it

Saskatoon and District AA

Back