Deaf in London: time to sit up and listen?

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
BBC - Deaf in London: time to sit up and listen?

Being deaf in a hearing world can be frustrating and isolating. So, is it time London sat up and listened?

We all know the exasperation and discomfort felt when abroad where no English is spoken but imagine not being able to communicate effectively in your hometown when going about your daily business?

Imagine not getting the hair cut you want or being able to explain to your dentist or GP exactly what pain it is you feel and, in turn, them not being to explain to you what they are going to do about it?

This is everyday life for deaf people.

CommunityID, a partnership of deaf and hearing professionals, has received almost £500,000 from the Big Lottery Fund to provide free deaf and interpreting awareness training to 250 voluntary organisations and communities in London.

It means that over the next five years the not-for-profit company based in Islington can:

Offer free deaf and interpreting awareness training to 250 organisations - vital community services that help people such as the elderly, those with mental health issues and HIV and AIDs patients
Offer free British Sign Language level 1 courses for people from disadvantaged backgrounds to help breakdown down basic linguistic barriers
Offer 'train the trainer' opportunities for five deaf people who want to become future trainers
Fund production of modern educational video clips linked deaf and interpreting awareness
Fund rolling video recorded feedback in the form of Vox Pops with both deaf and interpreting communities
Ian Hodgetts is a director of CommunityID and is a Member of the Register of BSL/English Interpreters (MRSLI).

He, along with co-director Colette Hogan, has devised the project and is passionate about trying to conquer what he sees as 'linguistic barriers'.

"Deaf people don't see themselves as having a disability - they are merely a linguistic minority. It's a language barrier more than anything," he says.

It is estimated that there are 75,000 deaf people in the UK using sign language and yet there are just 600 registered interpreters.

Life in London is easier than in other parts of the country but it can still be isolating and frustrating.

Higher unemployment

Ian says there is only one primary school that caters for deaf children in London - the Frank Barnes School for Deaf children - as more youngsters are forced into mainstream education.

In theory this is laudable but facilities for teaching deaf children are often lacking which can lead to pupils feeling isolated and educational achievement among the deaf is not as high as among hearing students, says Ian.

This may, in part, account for higher unemployment among the deaf and higher percentages of people with mental health problems.

Fiona McLean is deaf and works as CommunityID's project administrator.

"I grew up in Ireland and it's easier living in London as a deaf woman. I can go to the cinema (using subtitles) and enjoy the arts. However, it is hard communicating in the hearing world and I don't feel equal.

"I went to the hairdressers recently to get my hair coloured. It was hard to communicate in the salon, people were talking over my head and I was told not to have it coloured but highlighted. I came out extremely stressed and a lot of money worse off. They just didn't understand what I wanted.

Interpreters 'vital'

"The funding isn't there for the services I need. I want people in London to learn to sign and I want to see this project bring about a fundamental change."

In the world of work, life for deaf employees is more challenging than most hearing people can imagine.

Fiona says: "I need interpreters for phone calls, someone to help me with grammar when I send out emails and I need to know that the tone of what is being said is correct. Good interpreters are vital."

Ian accepts there is a cost issue for small businesses - hiring an interpreter for a few hours can be more than £100. But, he says, under our disability discrimination laws Fiona should be able to go to the hairdressers or the shops and get what she wants.

Sorry to be off the point: England's lucky to have a mental health facility for deaf teenagers, in which Australia is lacking at this time.

Back