Deaf in America should thank God!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mativu

Reaction score

Today in my office I met a young Deaf girl in my office. She had come for a peer training session.
She had with her her 5 year old little-beautiful-girl. I managed to talk with her and I relly felt for her. She was in love with a Hearie who impregnated her and left her. Now she feds for herself. She cant find a job since her academic grades are low. Her mother helps her out with basic needs. She goes on to tell me that her daughter wont go to school untill she finds a job or her ex agrees to support her.
She is one of too many young girls who are single parents and no jobs. They are all poor and survive on little income either through salooning or help from relatives.
In Kibera Slums we have a majority of the Deaf in Kenya. They are really poor and marginalized with little information and knowledge.

When I try to compare the lives of Deaf in America and Kenya, I pity ourselves. Although we have primary schools for the Deaf, most of the teachers are Hearies with little Sign Language knowledge. This is the same in secondary schools wich are only three in number in the whole country. Tertiary education is limited to -Masonry.Carpentry,Welding and Tailoring. Only of late have we seen Deaf being taught IT and Catering.
Would you believe that in kenya we have less than five Deaf with a degree!!!!!!!!
You can just imagine after all this academic barriers how the lives of the Deaf are.
Although Deaf meet in church and organizations to catch up on each other,we do not have pleasurable stuff like Deaf Cruise,. Deaf Bashments etc.
We tried to have a Deaf Happy Hour last year but it failed due to most of the Deaf wouldnt afford about a dollar for refreshments and stuff.
American Deaf, thank God and keep it real, you are a great pride for majority of Deaf in Developing countries.

Really Eek! but I do sad for Kenya! :(

huh?? about in kenya you have less than five Deaf with a degree :shock:

What would it take to bring one deaf child from Kenya to the United States to have a real shot at a life?

ohhhh

I dont know what it would take to bring one Deaf child to come those sides. But in any case you people rock.
I mean, Deaf must be clever than most Hearies, imagine if you could go through a system where the teacher ''talk,talk,talk!!!!!'' and then at the end of the period you still get a grade,whatever grade it is?

I dont think we're any more clever, I just think we learn to adapt more easily than hearing people do.

The hearing population doesn't realize how dependant they are on their hearing until they have met a deaf person and learn of all the adaptations they have had to make.

Somehow though the hearing population will try to use our deafness to exploit us.

They tell us we are capable of anything we put our minds to, but yet they are the ones putting the bars up and saying we can't do this or that because we're deaf. Ironic isnt it?

My supervisor went to south africa for her vacation and she was near kenya, too. anyway, I think that the problem in Kenya is way different than what we face here in the states as deaf people. The hearies don't have it so great over there either. When my supervisor emails a pic of the kids in their school, I'll post it in this thread. As a whole, i don't think there are alot of hearie's with degrees, either - - unless they are Brits/white. I am not sure but I do know that adaptation has nothing to do w/ the situation in Africa. The gov't is not like ours. Can't adapt to win, no you can't. The poor kids here have access to education (no matter how crappy it is) and if they are able to get graduated, they can ask for gov't assistance to pay for college.

Please feel free to correct me, especially Jillio who is highly knowlegeable in all areas, I see :).

That is pretty sad story about the young Deaf girl in South Africa. Perhaps some day South Africa will improve for a better education, govt supports etc for deafies and hearies over there.

mmmnh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I dont think we're any more clever, I just think we learn to adapt more easily than hearing people do.

Yeah, Right!!
Deaf adapt more easily and I can say they maximize the other sense they have. Imagine i read i lot since i hear none to make up. Its good for Deaf to be knowledgeable.

DEAF PRIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

The hearing population doesn't realize how dependant they are on their hearing until they have met a deaf person and learn of all the adaptations they have had to make.

Somehow though the hearing population will try to use our deafness to exploit us.

They tell us we are capable of anything we put our minds to, but yet they are the ones putting the bars up and saying we can't do this or that because we're deaf. Ironic isnt it?

you said a lot of truth there, dixie, im a firm believer of the existence of 'barriers' they the bloody hearies put it up and then turn around and lie to us , saying we're our own worst enemy BULLSHIT !!!, they constructed the they way the world function, and if any mishaps its just a symtops which deafs struggles to express our real needs. Very frustrating and sometimes very confusing, and ballfing because by and large MOST of us Deaf/deafies/deafs already knows in the feelings but do not know in the 'head' by that. i mean like knowledge, and being assertive to say , enought of this bullshit i now demand my rights to recognised.... but we're stil a long way of yet.....to get there, hate to say, I partly blame Deaf politics because theres a lot of bullshit going around saying 'deaf can do anything but hear', its a myth and it hides the ugly reality which you 'spoke of' in your post dixie.
Cheers

Blaming the victim in any situation is a game that is done conciously by some and subconciously by others.

When I was a child a woman was raped and the judge said the woman invited it because she dressed provocatively.

My mother asked, "What does a man sitting behind his desk in a black dress invite? Castration?"

My supervisor went to south africa for her vacation and she was near kenya, too. anyway, I think that the problem in Kenya is way different than what we face here in the states as deaf people. The hearies don't have it so great over there either. When my supervisor emails a pic of the kids in their school, I'll post it in this thread. As a whole, i don't think there are alot of hearie's with degrees, either - - unless they are Brits/white. I am not sure but I do know that adaptation has nothing to do w/ the situation in Africa. The gov't is not like ours. Can't adapt to win, no you can't. The poor kids here have access to education (no matter how crappy it is) and if they are able to get graduated, they can ask for gov't assistance to pay for college.

Please feel free to correct me, especially Jillio who is highly knowlegeable in all areas, I see :).

No correction from me, as you are right on target. Only correction would be about me being highly knowlegable in all areas. No way...there is still much for me to learn, and many areas I know absolutley nothing about!

I'm fine, just making a point that i hate all kinds of religion and 'god' if there was one, "god' is the sickest bastard i've ever seen, he lets all this to happen.
and like I'm juist sick of the crap when stupid gullible people 'thank god' for their 'fortune' its not 'god-given' the situation we all fall in, are man-made or artifically constructed by social norms of 'functionalism'.

I'm fine, just making a point that i hate all kinds of religion and 'god' if there was one, "god' is the sickest bastard i've ever seen, he lets all this to happen.

It is people who willed this to happened, not God.

ok
deafies must fight harder
whose with me????????

I am with you. Tell me what kind of job the deaf people can do that would be very useful? What do Kenyans need the most and would pay for someone to do? Why don't the deaf people band together and work together. Yes, I mean a business they can set up.

I am with you. Tell me what kind of job the deaf people can do that would be very useful? What do Kenyans need the most and would pay for someone to do? Why don't the deaf people band together and work together. Yes, I mean a business they can set up.

am glad you are willing to help.
a lot is needed in these sides, but am thinking if Deaf could unite and establish a small scale enterprise and be good in the same, then that would be a great development fo the Deaf.
right now am working on a project for job training and placement of the Deaf with respect to their low levels of education.

It is people who willed this to happened, not God.

that partlywhat im trying to say too,
peolpe get taught to thnk God loves all of us, what BS, try tell them that who come god doesnt do anything about it? i admit its kind of useless mute point

indeed, you are right its all willed by man, but not nature like weather, earthquakes (some), draught are all pretty much out of man's control, well considering global warming, this maynot always be the case, we afterall did fucked up the planet's natural rythmn, < if you see it this way.

im just really saying stop saying "god bless usa' shit, cuz thats an airhead's bloated rave, that disguise that ugly mindless nationalist doctrine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back