Deaf Ice Climber got killed..

Chrysanthe

Reaction score
A sad news about my ol' friend, Reid Hunt.....

here are the urls

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=63878
cbs4denver.com - Colo. Springs Man Dies In Climbing Accident
KRDO.com - Colorado Springs - Pueblo - Ice Climber Dies in 170 Foot Fall

Reid Hunt, well known in Utah community, he was born-raised in Utah. He had many friends here who will missed him. I personally knew him since we were teenagers. He is going to be sorely missed.

Maybe some of you knew him from Gallaudet or Colorado School for the Deaf. He was a counselor there. He was an amazing guy... (sighs)

Thought I could share with people who knew him. Thanks.

I'm so sorry that your friend got killed. Will pray for him. Was he member of AD?

Ohh sorry to hear that he is killed by the climber :(.. It gonna be hard for his family and friends to miss him :(

Fallen Climber Was Huge Influence

KRDO.com - Colorado Springs - Pueblo - Fallen Climber Was Huge Influence

It was a day of grieving and remembering for the students and staff of the Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind Monday, as they begin to cope with the loss of Reid Hunt.

Hunt slipped and fell more than 170 feet before he and a friend were about to begin ice climbing in a popular Colorado Springs area Sunday morning.

Staff at the Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind says they learned of Hunt's death around 1:00 p.m. Sunday afternoon. Shortly after, a meeting was held with the on-campus students Sunday night. Another meeting was held with the entire student body Monday morning.

Known for his enthusiasm, Hunt, a deaf person himself, played a large role in the school, its staff and students. He was officially known as the supervisor of the school's transition program, but many say his title didn't reflect all he did for the school. "Our students could know that they could become very successful, independent adults who happened to be deaf," says Superintendent Carol Hilty.

Hilty says Hunt will be remembered for playing a role in all kinds of student activities, from the football field to the classroom. Other staff members agree, saying Hunt's numerous roles was one thing that made the Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind so unique. "You couldn't be around Reid without experiencing his joy for life and the energy that he had and he shared that with out students," Hilty said.

Hilty says Hunt's parents have flown into Colorado from Utah, where the family is from. Hunt also had a wife who lives in the Colorado Springs area. Hilty says funeral arrangements are still pending.

The popular climbing area where Hunt died is located about two miles southwest from the Broadmoor Hotel, about a quarter of a mile off of Old Stage Road in Colorado Springs. Known for its difficulty, rescuers say the popular ice climbing spot typically sees climbers repel down a large sheet of ice, then climb back up. El Paso County Search and Rescue crews believe Hunt was experienced, but wasn't wearing the proper safety equipment, which rescuers believe played a role in his fall.

My condolences to Hunt's families.

I knew him. I met him long time ago. I am sorry that he passed away. I feel bad for his wife.

Back