Deaf Humor...

Chewie

Reaction score
I love to wear t-shirts and I really like alot of the t-shirts with deaf humor from cafe' press and nohear.com
Would it be offensive if a hearie like myself were to wear one of these shirts?
Would it be different if I were a terp?

I have a book mark that says "I'm not listening" and the person has their eyes covered. I think it is great and an excellent conversation starter with those around me.

I love to wear t-shirts and I really like alot of the t-shirts with deaf humor from cafe' press and nohear.com
Would it be offensive if a hearie like myself were to wear one of these shirts?
Would it be different if I were a terp?

I have a book mark that says "I'm not listening" and the person has their eyes covered. I think it is great and an excellent conversation starter with those around me.

Duh? Maybe it's mere safer to wear them in those deaf-friendly towns. lol I was wondering about that before like what you asked.

I like cafe press shirts and wear them a lot. No bad reactions. I have a picture of one on my album cover. I notice a lot of people stare fixedly at that one. Maybe they just are trying to learn the signs.:P

If you want to wear them, why not? The worst that can happen is someone will assume you are deaf.

Thanks Ya'll...
I will wear them with pride!
I should probably learn more sign in case someone does assume I am deaf.
I am sure my wife thinks I am part of the time! Actually, it is just male selective listening.

I do think that some deaf humor is funny, but I wouldn't really wear those kinds of shirts myself.

I do know that some people try to reverse some humor so that it's deaf-related, but that sometimes takes the humor out of it.

One time, someone took "I'm not deaf. I'm ignoring you." and converted it to "I'm not ignoring you. I'm deaf." He thought it was funny, I thought it was serious.

Back