Deaf/HOH, What are your pet peeves from hearing people?

DaeHan

Reaction score
I want to learn ASL and would like to learn pet peeves from Deaf and HOH peeps.

Many hearing people don't think that deaf people have much money. Therefore, deaf people need to get a car with turbocharged engine. You know that it is expensive to own and maintain a vehicle with turbocharged engine. If you have or know someone who have something turbocharged engine, you'll understand what I am talking about.

Therefore, I think that deaf people will surprise hearing people if they get a car with turbocharged engine. That means they can afford finer things.

Many hearing people don't think that deaf people have much money. Therefore, deaf people need to get a car with turbocharged engine. You know that it is expensive to own and maintain a vehicle with turbocharged engine. If you have or know someone who have something turbocharged engine, you'll understand what I am talking about.

Therefore, I think that deaf people will surprise hearing people if they get a car with turbocharged engine. That means they can afford finer things.

It just mean that Deaf/Hard Of Hearing (HOH) can drive. Hearing people don't think we can not drive. Pfffft. :roll:

Why wouldn't deaf people be able to drive? But then i am hearing and cant drive...

I want to learn ASL and would like to learn pet peeves from Deaf and HOH peeps.

How about hearing people who are interested in me for the sake of deafness?

I am many things much more important and interesting than deaf.

Exactly, hearing people need to listen to our needs. Why do hearing people ignore us completely and try to force us to be what hearing people want us to be like them, never us????? :hmm:

People who are interested in ASL are also interested in Deaf people. Isn't that common sense?

People who want to learn German are most likely going to be interested in German people!

One of the problems is that ASL students would ask me ASL related question and then walk away when I talk about the fact that vehicles with turbocharged engine are very popular in Deaf community.

One of the problems is that ASL students would ask me ASL related question and then walk away when I talk about the fact that vehicles with turbocharged engine are very popular in Deaf community.

Derek,

You have given helpful replies on my other threads, but I just don't understand the whole turbocharged thing!

It's so misleading though!

I am much more interested in obtaining one of those all terrain wheelchairs that TinCanSailor posted about... :P

People who are interested in ASL are also interested in Deaf people. Isn't that common sense?

People who want to learn German are most likely going to be interested in German people!

I wildly disagree. If you want to know a pet peeve it's just that. I'm an individual on this forum and I'm different from others on here. My deafness and the fact that I use ASL does NOT define most of my life. If you go in assuming that we're all the same that's like assuming a random group of Americans from across the USA are going to be the same people.

- I do not like discussing vocabulary as dinner conversation (only once in a while, then move on)
- A stranger smiling and waving does more for me than a nervous person finger spelling HI then telling me random words at the grocery store.
- sign language is how I talk, not what I do.

So yea, big pet peeve is someone thinking all users of sign language are the same. It's a common tie, but it's not a defining factor.

Derek,

You have given helpful replies on my other threads, but I just don't understand the whole turbocharged thing!

Don't worry. Hang out around here. You will understand why I think vehicles with turbocharged engines are so cool!!!

I wildly disagree. If you want to know a pet peeve it's just that. I'm an individual on this forum and I'm different from others on here. My deafness and the fact that I use ASL does NOT define most of my life. If you go in assuming that we're all the same that's like assuming a random group of Americans from across the USA are going to be the same people.

- I do not like discussing vocabulary as dinner conversation (only once in a while, then move on)
- A stranger smiling and waving does more for me than a nervous person finger spelling HI then telling me random words at the grocery store.
- sign language is how I talk, not what I do.

So yea, big pet peeve is someone thinking all users of sign language are the same. It's a common tie, but it's not a defining factor.

I read AmyLynne's blog, and she stated that a handful of deaf/hoh folks on here will be offended by people who use them because of their ASL skills. I understand. But I would like to know Deaf/HOH people who are willing to help me, and at the same time I would like to get to know them and their life. Foreigners ask me to help them with English all the time; some Americans find it annoying.

I read AmyLynne's blog, and she stated that a handful of deaf/hoh folks on here will be offended by people who use them because of their ASL skills. I understand. But I would like to know Deaf/HOH people who are willing to help me, and at the same time I would like to get to know them and their life. Foreigners ask me to help them with English all the time; some Americans find it annoying.

Doesn't it get annoying having foreigners ask you for help? I get annoyed being asked about Japanese people and the wish to be Asian simply because of the otaku culture. In a similar manner, I bet those who use ASL/whatever feel the same.

I get annoyed at people just wanting help on homework all the time and I don't even know ASL. Gets annoying seeing "ASL student" all the time in many new topics.

Get to know me, not the languages I write/speak or the culture you think I am because of one thing in my life. My hearing loss isn't what I talk want to talk about all the time.

I bet if you may meet some people that would like to spend some time talking about ASL and so forth but not everyday.

(1) That's not quite what I said. I did not suggest that there are certain people who will take offense. I didn't and wouldn't say that. This isn't about specific forum members. It's about what you're asking if you're just starting to learnn a language and want a fluent person to interact with you in that language. There are aspects of that that *can* become exhausting before too long. And there *are* plenty of generous people out there. What I was saying was that if you decide to avail yourself of their generosity, try to be extremely mindful of what you're asking, and be as respectful and considerate as you can. Like, keep in mind the value of their time, don't waste it by making them wait while you figure out your video setup, and clearly express your gratitude for their time/energy/expertise.

(2) Lets leave the blog posts in the blog, ok? They're there for a reason. You can feel free to PM me if you want to discuss something I've written.

(3) It's not exactly analogous: being approached by a foreigner for help with their English. I'll explain that separately - I want to post this much for now.

I just realized I misread what you wrote - you were actually talking about a different blog post. But what I said still applies. I was in no way suggesting that *certain* members here will have a problem with a particular behavior from hearing people. I was saying that there is a problem with that behavior (using) itself.

Back